PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro a little help needed

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-23-2014, 12:48 PM
My son Alex, age 19, has to join the sail training ship LORD NELSON at Rio de Janeiro next Tuesday.

He is arriving on Tuesday at 11.25 am from London via Washington at Rio Internacional, Terminal 2, and has to get under his own steam from there to the Marina de Gloria where the LORD NELSON will be berthed.

Could anyone help with:

1. What he should say to the taxi driver

2. Approximate cost and journey time

3. Anything else he needs to know?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Pless
05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
19 year old male brit completely on his own in rio; what could go wrong?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
With money in his pocket, too...

George Jung
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Hehe... I'd recommend George., but he could be a corrupting influence (unless that's your intent!)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
I would certainly be happy if either of our Brazilian friends dropped by this thread.

Gerarddm
05-23-2014, 12:59 PM
There have been apprehensive stories on the 'Net recently about crime in Rio, specifically robberies. Tell him to mind his poke.

George Jung
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I've 'messaged' George., and he's responded quickly. I suspect either he or (? Varadero?) would be helpful. That's the beauty of the world-wide Bilge!

Paul Pless
05-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I suspect either he or (? Varadero?) carioca1232001

Peerie Maa
05-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Kirsty spent some time in Brazil during a summer vac from Uni.
Her mate did the bargaining with the taxis, her Portugese was better than Kirstys.

However. Bargain with the drivers, if there are several taxis waiting go down the rank looking for the cheapest.
Do NOT keep valuables in his pockets. Get a money belt to wear inside his pants, so as not visible or accessible to pick pockets.
Obvious advice - make the effort to try to speak Portugese, hallo and thank you as a minimum.

If there is a run ashore before she sails try to eat at the Per kilo or barbecue shops.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-24-2014, 11:30 AM
I am delighted to say that the rather distinguished gentleman who posts under the name of carioca1232001 has very kindly agreed to collect Alex from the airport, give him lunch at the Yacht Club, and deposit him and his bags at the gangway!

Thank you!

The Bigfella
05-24-2014, 11:34 AM
He is not only distinguished, he is a gentleman too

Nicholas Carey
05-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Most excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hwyl
05-24-2014, 05:42 PM
I am delighted to say that the rather distinguished gentleman who posts under the name of carioca1232001 has very kindly agreed to collect Alex from the airport, give him lunch at the Yacht Club, and deposit him and his bags at the gangway!

Thank you!

Wonderful, Carioca is one of the people I'd love to meet. I had very generous help from forum members when I was in Oz and Nz.

LeeG
05-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Thank you!

Oh what a lucky young man.

Keith Wilson
05-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Best of the WBF, right here. Well done! Y>

bobbys
05-24-2014, 10:50 PM

Thank you!.

That's good news..

Kudos to him.

BrianW
05-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Excellent!

PeterSibley
05-25-2014, 04:13 AM
Wonderful, Carioca is one of the people I'd love to meet.

As would I !!

David W Pratt
05-25-2014, 08:00 AM
One thing I've noticed about the Bilge, and the WBF in general, despite strongly held, imiscible opinions on guns, taxes, glues, rigs, hull forms, etc. forumites are quick to come to each others' aid

carioca1232001
05-25-2014, 12:16 PM
One thing I've noticed about the Bilge, and the WBF in general, despite strongly held, imiscible opinions on guns, taxes, glues, rigs, hull forms, etc. forumites are quick to come to each others' aid

May I respectfully add colonialism, old and new to your listing above of contentious subjects ? :D

The compliments concerning my person have been overly generous, and forumites seem to have forgotten that the proof of the pudding is in the eating !

Peerie Maa
05-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Kirsty spent some time in Brazil during a summer vac from Uni.
Her mate did the bargaining with the taxis, her Portugese was better than Kirstys.

However. Bargain with the drivers, if there are several taxis waiting go down the rank looking for the cheapest.
Do NOT keep valuables in his pockets. Get a money belt to wear inside his pants, so as not visible or accessible to pick pockets.
Obvious advice - make the effort to try to speak Portugese, hallo and thank you as a minimum.

If there is a run ashore before she sails try to eat at the Per kilo or barbecue shops.

May I respectfully add colonialism, old and new to your listing above of contentious subjects ? :D

The compliments concerning my person have been overly generous, and forumites seem to have forgotten that the proof of the pudding is in the eating !

Which Kirsty tells me can be Gooood :D

oznabrag
05-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Perhaps, but in this case, we will require several photos of the Rio de Janeiro Yacht Club, featuring young master Craig-Bennett and his infectious grin! :d

carioca1232001
05-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Which Kirsty tells me can be Gooood :D

The restaurants afford very good quality, variety and cuisine, if you know where to go, but not exactly cheap at US$25-35 per kilo.

Young men are often [i]churrascaria (barbeque eatery) fiends where choice cuts of beef, pork, wild boar (javali) and lamb as well as a self-service cold salad bar cum sushi /sashimi can be had for a fixed price in 'eat like a piggy' mode. In fact, one chain of such eateries in Rio goes rightly by the name of 'Porcão' (Big Pig !)

Another option is the a la carte menu or self-service luncheon buffet at the YC.

Peerie Maa
05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
The restaurants afford very good quality, variety and cuisine, if you know where to go, but not exactly cheap at US$25-35 per kilo.

Young men are often [I]churrascaria (barbeque eatery) fiends where choice cuts of beef, pork, wild boar (javali) and lamb as well as a self-service cold salad bar cum sushi /sashimi can be had for a fixed price in 'eat like a piggy' mode. In fact, one chain of such eateries in Rio goes rightly by the name of 'Porcão' (Big Pig !)

Another option is the a la carte menu or self-service luncheon buffet at the YC.

I understand from ACB's post that you had already offered the YC to ACB Jr. :D If the crew get a run ashore before sailing perhaps the churrascaria may be worth a try?

S.V. Airlie
05-25-2014, 06:39 PM
I never was in Rio. I spent 4 months in Belem. Not as well known as Rio obviously. Rio is getting ready for the World's Cup (I think) might be a chaotic town at the moment. Enjoy but, be careful!

carioca1232001
05-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I understand from ACB's post that you had already offered the YC to ACB Jr. :D If the crew get a run ashore before sailing perhaps the churrascaria may be worth a try?

The R de J YC is a picturesque sight, with a luso-colonial club house that has a wide varandah all along the frontage overlooking Guanabara Bay, and located a half mile or so from the base of the Sugar Loaf Mountain.

I´ll bring young ACB Jr. over to the YC, accompany him on a tour de force, take photos, have him look at the à la carte menu as well as the buffet luncheon laid out in the dining hall.

If he would prefer a churrascaria, Rio´s most picturesque Porcão is located on the margins of the Bay, on the fast road (Aterro) leading to the Marina da Gloria from the YC.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-27-2014, 05:56 PM
You sir, are a Pukka Sahib!

Very many thanks!

carioca1232001
05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
This is exactly what I needed to justify pouring myself another Burrah Whisky !

ACB Jr is a gentleman and had his schedule been more flexible, my son would have joined us in welcoming him to Rio this afternoon.

Countless other people have lent a hand to my family, myself and my friends during our travels....too many to mention.