PDA

View Full Version : Gormenghast & Game of Thrones

Gerarddm
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM
It occurred to me, watching this past Sunday's eventful episode of Game of Thrones, that Littlefinger is bearing resemblance to the scheming Steerpike of Gormenghast; and for that matter, is Sansa another Fuschia?

Hmmm...

bamamick
05-21-2014, 08:04 PM
I have a copy of the BBC television program of 'Gormenghast' around here somewhere, but I am afraid to say I have never made it all the way through it. It's kind of sleepy, imo. In the end I can only see GoT getting more and more muddled as more characters come along and all the originals get killed off one by one. For some reason I only read about the stuff on the Wall when I read through the books, and I can see me heading that way with the series.

My newest favorite program is 'Vikings'. That Lagertha is some kind of woman!

Mickey Lake

Vince Brennan
05-21-2014, 08:24 PM
I can only see GoT getting more and more muddled as more characters come along and all the originals get killed off one by one. One of the reasons I like it so much... characters act just like people in real life, where perfectly wonderful lives are senselessly ended and some incredibly evil lives continue along. Rather nice to see the Moon Door used to such excellent advantage.

Never could wade thru "Gormenghast" but I may give it another go in the fall... better do it soon...

Lew Barrett
05-21-2014, 11:32 PM
I have no knowledge of this Gormenghast you speak of so I looked it up and came away with this precis:

A father and daughter are caught in a parallel universe where the great queens Snow White, Cinderella, and Little Red Riding Hood have had their kingdoms fragmented by warring trolls, giants and goblins.

This sounds like a line of writing that is more lucrative to pursue than say, authoring a book called "The Complete History of 2 Person Rowing Tenders (with illustrations, offsets and fascinating interviews with owners)." Because, if this is what people want, feudal settings with intrigue and beasties, I'm ready to start writing an involved story right now. And, I can include zombies, werewolves, vampires, invisible assassins, alien beings, little people, golems, satyrs and cyclops as well as a creature that is half man, half bandsaw.

I want my work to, you know, be easy to relate to and help create a better world. And, I could use the money.

cathouse willy
05-22-2014, 12:13 AM
I have no knowledge of this Gormenghast you speak of so I looked it up and came away with this precis:

A father and daughter are caught in a parallel universe where the great queens Snow White, Cinderella, and Little Red Riding Hood have had their kingdoms fragmented by warring trolls, giants and goblins.

This sounds like a line of writing that is more lucrative to pursue than say, authoring a book called "The Complete History of 2 Person Rowing Tenders (with illustrations, offsets and fascinating interviews with owners)." Because, if this is what people want, feudal settings with intrigue and beasties, I'm ready to start writing an involved story right now. And, I can include zombies, werewolves, vampires, invisible assassins, alien beings, little people, golems, satyrs and cyclops as well as a creature that is half man, half bandsaw.

I want my work to, you know, be easy to relate to and help create a better world. And, I could use the money.

Not even close. The gormenghast series by Mervin Peake was written during the years up to and including the first world war. A dark fantasy that can take you far away to places providing you have an imagination. Unfortunately old Merv died before he could complete the third part.His children finished it off as best they could from his notes but it didn't measure up to the first two.The first two parts are an excellent read.

Lew Barrett
05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
I just know what the google response was.

You don't like the half man, half bandsaw monster? I had this forum in mind, created especially to appeal to the people here.

Added: I see what you mean about 'ghast and not being close. On the same page they also covered the Tenth Kingdom. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197154/). It seems I mixed my metastories.

Lew Barrett
05-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Here's what they said about Gormenghast:

Gormenghast is an ancient city-state which primarily consists of a rambling and crumbling castle. The narrative, based on the first two of the three Gormenghast novels by Mervyn Peake, begins with the birth of a son, Titus, to the 76th Earl, Sepulchrave Groan, and Countess Gertrude. This mismatched pair (he'd prefer the melancholy privacy of his library; she'd prefer the company of her menagerie of cats and birds) also have a teenaged daughter, Fuchsia, who resents her new brother but comes to love him dearly. Simultaneously, a young kitchen apprentice, Steerpike, takes advantage of an altercation between head cook Swelter and the Earl's manservant, Mr. Flay, and escapes from the kitchens. Gormenghast is rigidly feudal in structure, but Steerpike has ambitions. He befriends the imaginative, yearning Fuchsia, and through her becomes apprenticed to the castle physician, Dr. Prunesquallor, who lives with his man-hunting sister Irma. This position allows Steerpike to work his way into the... Written by G.M. Baxter

That sound more like it?

cathouse willy
05-22-2014, 12:59 AM
That's it. Titus, Steerpike. Fushia, Mr flay, Swelter,Dr and Irma Prunesquallor, lord sepelcure and their world.Immense, crumbling and dark. It took me two readings to get thru but it's one of those stories that keeps calling you back.

Gerarddm
05-22-2014, 01:38 AM
The first two books were engrossing. The BBC series didn't quite cut it for me. If the crew helming GoT were to take on Gormenghast in a similar vein, I'd be there.

Paul Pless
05-22-2014, 06:36 AM

sail and oar zombies might be a line of thought worth pursuing. . . :D

Lew Barrett
05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
sail and oar zombies might be a line of thought worth pursuing. . . :D

Zombies are unkempt, their hair is matted, they are slow getting around and they don't have complex needs except to eat brains (and that only in binges), the combination probably works. I'll get on it!

Paul Pless
05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Zombies are unkempt, their hair is matted, they are slow getting around and they don't have complex needs except to eat brains (and that only in binges), the combination probably works. I'll get on it!mcmullet shall be your archetype

ron ll
05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Lew, which half of the band saw and which half of the man? And is there another creature with the other halves?

Paul Pless
05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
And is there another creature with the other halves?worm drive!

Lew Barrett
05-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Lew, which half of the band saw and which half of the man? And is there another creature with the other halves?

Let's think that through. If the lower part is the stand and motor, and the upper is the man above the waist, the creature would be sedentary and incapable of any real work, probably bored to tears and given it would have arms, hands and an electrical connection, it would be able to post vicious comments and outrageous insults in the Bilge but actually accomplish little else.

If we go the other way, that is, make the lower half legs and a bit of torso leaving the motor and the upper half (the working end of the saw), it could stumble around blindly bumping into things, wheels spinning, blade running and perhaps even cut something once in a while. Either way, Bilge denizens would be able to relate. I think it's more appealing as saw on top, human beneath, but we could make one of each from the available parts and see which is both more appealing and most appalling.

ron ll
05-22-2014, 01:03 PM
http://skymovies.sky.com/image/unscaled/2009/3/9/Edward-Scissorhands-08-4.jpg