PDA

View Full Version : Phosphor Bronze srews versus Silicon Bronze screws

svey001
04-20-2001, 03:25 PM
Can phosphor bronze screws be a valid substitute for silicon bronze screws.

svey001

svey001

Frank Wentzel
04-23-2001, 04:06 PM
As I understand it, phosphorus is often used to degas copper alloys, particularly brasses. Depending on the amount of excess phosphorus the alloy can get harder and may be used as spring-stock i.e., phosphor bronze springs. However, the zinc content of the particular alloy is where the potential problem lies. Without info on the zinc content you can't tell if you will have a possible de-zincification problem with your screws. If no other data is available you would be best to stick with silicon bronze.

[This message has been edited by Frank Wentzel (edited 04-24-2001).]

Frank Wentzel
As I understand it, phosphorus is often used to degas copper alloys, particularly brasses. Depending on the amount of excess phosphorus the alloy can get harder and may be used as spring-stock i.e., phosphor bronze springs. However, the zinc content of the particular alloy is where the potential problem lies. Without info on the zinc content you can't tell if you will have a possible de-zincification problem with your screws. If no other data is available you would be best to stick with silicon bronze.

Frank Wentzel