X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lew Barrett
    Landlocked
    • Dec 2005

The new thing.

It's really the old thing. I sold this off about 8 years ago to a friend who never used it. He put three hundred miles on it in all that time. It was too good to pass up so I bought it back when he said it was available. After it gets its R&R (fluids, clutch slave, tires, consumables, and please, no clutch, it's not a fun job on these, I plan to move it to Tennessee for use when I'm there. I always liked the way it covered ground. I hope to have it on the road by the end of next week.

Clutch slave cylinder

The slave cylinder looks easier to get to in the photo than it is. If I can wiggle it in and out and get the fittings swapped over without dropping the swingarm, I'll be grateful. I am glad to have it back regardless. It's a quality piece.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.
  • BrianW
    not your average member
    • Nov 2002

Re: The new thing.

Sweet! You could ride with Memphis Mike and Chad!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Lew Barrett
      Landlocked
      • Dec 2005

I could and I would! It's nice to have her back. Heavier than I remembered, but so nicely made. Almost everything is metal, and good metal, too. I could use some help from a real mechanic. I'm plodding (blundering) through it.
      One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• purri
        • Sep 2009

Better than the newer model with the "QD" driveline!
        Xanthorrea

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

It looks good up close too. I like how relatively easy it is to work around. I wouldn't think of doing this sort of stuff on the Duc, but on the BMW it comes naturally. I got paid $3500 and my friend stored it for me. I had a real fleet when I used to have room to store them. I had to sell them all off when we ran out of space here. The Tennessee house has a big outbuilding and a lot of good roads. Next thing, if there is one, would be a smaller, lighter bike.

Originally posted by purri
          Better than the newer model with the "QD" driveline!
          Certainly better if you plan to work on it yourself and the extra $20000 is nice! This is among the last of the simpler, all (mostly all, anyway) metal bikes, and it has an easy lope over the road, just about perfect for the use I have in mind. No linked brakes, either. If I have to drop the swingarm, I'll do a spline lube while I'm in there. Should be good for the next 50,000 miles or so. I didn't want anything too exotic in Tennessee, just something comfortable for traveling that I can work on if the odd thing goes off.
          Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-21-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• purri
            • Sep 2009

On the matter of spine lube, I believe that some chainsaw lubes (Triflow etc) are not too bad (and cheaper).
            Originally posted by Lew Barrett
            It looks good up close too. I like how relatively easy it is to work around. I wouldn't think of doing this sort of stuff on the Duc, but on the BMW it comes naturally. I got paid $3500 and my friend stored it for me. I had a real fleet when I used to have room to store them. I had to sell them all off when we ran out of space here. The Tennessee house has a big outbuilding and a lot of good roads. Next thing, if there is one, would be a smaller, lighter bike.

Certainly better if you plan to work on it yourself and the extra $20000 is nice! This is among the last of the simpler, all (mostly all, anyway) metal bikes, and it has an easy lope over the road, just about perfect for the use I have in mind. No linked brakes, either. If I have to drop the swingarm, I'll do a spline lube while I'm in there. Should be good for the next 50,000 miles or so. I didn't want anything too exotic in Tennessee, just something comfortable for traveling that I can work on if the odd thing goes off.
            Xanthorrea

Comment

Working...