PDA

View Full Version : Soure for rowing seats

landlocked sailor
03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
I am looking for a source to buy seats like those in rowing shells. LFH recommends the seats only mounted fixed in a double paddle canoe. Anyone know where these can be had? Thanks, Rick

landlocked sailor
I am looking for a source to buy seats like those in rowing shells. LFH recommends the seats only mounted fixed in a double paddle canoe. Anyone know where these can be had? Thanks, Rick

landlocked sailor

carlg
03-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Try Latanzo Parts, perhaps in the Philadelphia area. I used to get some bits and pieces for my shell from them. I've searched lately and can't find a web site...it may be a non-internet sort of business.

carlg
Try Latanzo Parts, perhaps in the Philadelphia area. I used to get some bits and pieces for my shell from them. I've searched lately and can't find a web site...it may be a non-internet sort of business.

carlg

David Toner
03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Although their product line is directed more towards racing shells, Durham Boat Company sells all of the little parts needed, including seats, to build your own sliding seat units. www.durhamboat.com (http://www.durhamboat.com)

David Toner
Although their product line is directed more towards racing shells, Durham Boat Company sells all of the little parts needed, including seats, to build your own sliding seat units. www.durhamboat.com (http://www.durhamboat.com)

David Toner

BRU
03-19-2004, 11:07 AM
If you are talking about the wooden seats that are shaped to fit your buttocks :eek: , try making one. I did for my Peregrine and it was real easy. I used 6/4 sugar pine, cut the outline taper on the bandsaw and gouge and sandpaper the depressions to suit. Everybody who looks at the boat thinks it was the hardest part but was really the easiest - took about 2 hours. I used sugar pine as it carves easily and is clear. 6 coats of varnish and smile.gif BRU

BRU
If you are talking about the wooden seats that are shaped to fit your buttocks :eek: , try making one. I did for my Peregrine and it was real easy. I used 6/4 sugar pine, cut the outline taper on the bandsaw and gouge and sandpaper the depressions to suit. Everybody who looks at the boat thinks it was the hardest part but was really the easiest - took about 2 hours. I used sugar pine as it carves easily and is clear. 6 coats of varnish and smile.gif BRU

BRU

rbgarr
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Try e-mailing http://www.rowableclassics.com

They may have older or spare ones for sale.

You could also advertise on http://www.row2k in their classifieds section.

rbgarr

rbgarr

reinbilt
03-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Landlocked,

Page 83 of WB #176 shows an 18ft. scull this fellow built and equipped with a Piantedosi Row Wing sliding seat. Maybe that company cane help you. Good Luck

reinbilt
Landlocked,

Page 83 of WB #176 shows an 18ft. scull this fellow built and equipped with a Piantedosi Row Wing sliding seat. Maybe that company cane help you. Good Luck

reinbilt
Landlocked,

landlocked sailor
03-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks everybody. I called Lantanzo but got no answer. I just emailed rowable classics so we shall see. BRU, I am not adverse to making one, though I do not have a pattern, kind of a catch-22. Rick

landlocked sailor
Thanks everybody. I called Lantanzo but got no answer. I just emailed rowable classics so we shall see. BRU, I am not adverse to making one, though I do not have a pattern, kind of a catch-22. Rick

landlocked sailor

carlg
03-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Landlocked sailor:

If you wish, I could trace around the seat on my shell...pretty good pattern. It wouldn't be difficult to make one as stated above.

carlg
Landlocked sailor:

If you wish, I could trace around the seat on my shell...pretty good pattern. It wouldn't be difficult to make one as stated above.

carlg
Landlocked sailor:

Tom M.
03-20-2004, 12:01 AM
I've been wanting to get a seat like that for my MacGregor. I'd prefer white oak, because it'll match the rest of the cockpit trim, but that means I'll need to buy an adz, and then a stone to sharpen it, and THEN I can go for it. Might have to get a curved spokeshave and scraper too, and sharpen those as well.

My conundrum is this: Will it be less expensive to just buy a seat? Even if it is, will it be worth it to buy the tools anyway? After all, I'm a boatbuilder now. More are on the way ;)

Has anyone tried those closed cell foam seats for plastic kayaks?

I'll probably get the tools :rolleyes:

Any other suggestions on how to carve out a white oak seat would be greatly appreciated. I'm a carpenter by trade, but haven't done anything like this.

Oh, Landlocked Sailor, if you need a pattern, I'll send you my butt-print if you can't find yours. :D

Sorry for the slight hijack

[ 03-20-2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Tom M. ]

Tom M.
I've been wanting to get a seat like that for my MacGregor. I'd prefer white oak, because it'll match the rest of the cockpit trim, but that means I'll need to buy an adz, and then a stone to sharpen it, and THEN I can go for it. Might have to get a curved spokeshave and scraper too, and sharpen those as well.

My conundrum is this: Will it be less expensive to just buy a seat? Even if it is, will it be worth it to buy the tools anyway? After all, I'm a boatbuilder now. More are on the way ;)

Any other suggestions on how to carve out a white oak seat would be greatly appreciated. I'm a carpenter by trade, but haven't done anything like this.

Oh, Landlocked Sailor, if you need a pattern, I'll send you my butt-print if you can't find yours. :D

Tom M.

JimConlin
03-21-2004, 10:29 PM
There's another method which yields a very 'personalized' seat.
Mix up a plastic bag containing maybe three quarts of epoxy-microballoon putty.
Sit on it.
You can work the details.
Just hope the bag doesn't burst.

JimConlin
Sit on it.

JimConlin
Sit on it.

John Bell
03-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JimConlin:
Sit on it.
Just hope the bag doesn't burst.Or your bottom doesn't catch on fire!

Yeeeowww!
:D

John Bell
Sit on it.

Yeeeowww!

John Bell
Sit on it.

Yeeeowww!

BRU
03-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Landlocked sailer, I'll be glad to trace mine too. BRU

BRU

BRU

landlocked sailor
03-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks everbody for your suggestions. A very genoeous forum member sent me an old wooden seat. It's laminated maple and I already have it strippped and first coated. I now have a good pattern too. I think I'll use mahogany for the next one. Rick

landlocked sailor
Thanks everbody for your suggestions. A very genoeous forum member sent me an old wooden seat. It's laminated maple and I already have it strippped and first coated. I now have a good pattern too. I think I'll use mahogany for the next one. Rick

landlocked sailor