PDA

View Full Version : Romney Eschews NH Racist Police Chief

Ian McColgin
05-19-2014, 09:43 AM
[IMc - Good for Romney.]

Romney Calls On NH Police Commissioner Who Called Obama ‘N’ Word To Resign
May 19, 2014 6:54 AM

NEW YORK (AP) — Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney is calling for the resignation of a New Hampshire police commissioner who used a racial slur in describing President Barack Obama.

Romney said in a statement, “The vile epithet used and confirmed by the commissioner has no place in our community: He should apologize and resign.”

The former Massachusetts governor joins some political leaders and residents in the predominantly white New Hampshire town of Wolfeboro in calling for the resignation of Robert Copeland.

A resident said she overheard the 82-year-old Copeland use a slur a restaurant in March and wrote to the town manager. Copeland, in an email to her, acknowledged using the slur in referring to the president and said he will not apologize.

“I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse,” Copeland said in an email to his fellow police commissioners. “For this, I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”

Officials say resignation is the only way to get Copeland out of office before his three-year term expires.

# # #

Gerarddm
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM
I should certainly hope so.

David G
05-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes... a number of Republicans have commented negatively on this incident. Probably not enough. But at least SOME have.Romney deserves credit for being among them.

David W Pratt
05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
I always thought Romney stuck to the highroad

Osborne Russell
05-19-2014, 11:45 AM

:d

Seems like they're all better people when they're not campaigning.

Boater14
05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Somebody ought to read the fine print in his contract or appointment before they give up on canning him.

John of Phoenix
05-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Let's wait and see what Romney says TOMORROW.

CWSmith
05-19-2014, 03:20 PM

He would have done better, perhaps won, if he had not run in opposition to what was essentially his own health care program. He was hobbled by his own party, but he would have been hobbled by them if elected, so it seems fair.

delecta
05-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Well this story is over, he resigned. Now all you goody two shoe, politically correct liberals can breath a sigh of relief.

Feel better now?

ahp
05-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Well this story is over, he resigned. Now all you goody two shoe, politically correct liberals can breath a sigh of relief.

Feel better now?

Yes

purri
05-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Retire him after medical and psychological examination.

delecta
05-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Would you feel better if there were more guys like this in positions of power?

I guess I really don't care, it's just a word. He obviously didn't change into this racist over night so was he able to perform his job last year when he was a racist in hiding?

Yeah, I know....bad bad word and anyone that isn't black using it shall be hung from a tree. The only people offended by the use of the n word are white liberals and Al Sharpton seeking profits from such.

I obviously don't think such behavior should be encouraged but why turn this into some huge deal. Shocking, an 82 year old white male uses the n word in private.

David G
05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
You will apologize for ANY despicable behavior, it seems, as long as it comes from a conservative. That's unfortunate... but - given your history - not surprising.

Tom Montgomery
05-19-2014, 07:43 PM
I guess I really don't care, it's just a word.
Yuck!

Tom Montgomery
05-19-2014, 07:44 PM
You will apologize for ANY despicable behavior, it seems, as long as it comes from a conservative. That's unfortunate... but - given your history - not surprising.
Yep. :rolleyes:

Tom Montgomery
05-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Good for Mitt Romney!

delecta
05-19-2014, 07:56 PM

I suppose over the years we have both developed a history here, yours is based on a insecurity complex and mine apparently a racist, conservative, apologist.

Do you care what this man said over dinner with friends? I would be willing to bet all my worldly possessions that at some point in time you have done the same.

Like I said, I don't care. You want to argue about what an 80 something year old talks about, have a great time doing such, I'm sure your friends will admire and respect your position and inflate your fragile ego.

oznabrag
05-19-2014, 08:31 PM

He will apologize for ANY despicable behavior, but his own.

Tom Montgomery
05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Do you care what this man said over dinner with friends?
If he is an elected public official?

Yes.

If he is not?

No.

CWSmith
05-19-2014, 08:51 PM
He obviously didn't change into this racist over night so was he able to perform his job last year when he was a racist in hiding?

How do you now this is true? He held the position and was probably a racist, but was he fair to all regardless of their race? It seems hard to believe.

Chris Coose
05-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Feel better now?

Yes. I celebrate when these crazy old bastards get the axe. Better if it is hari kari.
Who was that New Harbor, Bircher, Cabinet member of LePage's who lasted about 2 weeks on the job until he exploded a can of useless bigotry on the Aroostook Natives?

That was a great day.

CK 17
05-19-2014, 09:35 PM
I lived there for 10 years. Had a neighbor about the same age. He said some pretty unpalatable things about African Americans. NH was changing demographic, but a bit too fast for him.

btw, good on Mitt. Although I'm wondering about his motives.

Captain Intrepid
05-19-2014, 09:48 PM

Feel better now?

Yes. As a government official, he represented his constituents, his town, his police force, his state and ultimately his country.

As a private citizen, he only represents his own hateful hide.

As for saying it's only a word, it is just a word, but it's a word that was able to completely destroy the public trust that he held. Do you think a black person in his city would ever expect fair treatment under the law with an unapologetic racist at the helm of the police force?

David G
05-19-2014, 10:31 PM
I suppose over the years we have both developed a history here, yours is based on a insecurity complex and mine apparently a racist, conservative, apologist.

Do you care what this man said over dinner with friends? I would be willing to bet all my worldly possessions that at some point in time you have done the same.

Like I said, I don't care. You want to argue about what an 80 something year old talks about, have a great time doing such, I'm sure your friends will admire and respect your position and inflate your fragile ego.

Insecurity complex, eh? That's very interesting. Just how fragile do you think my ego is? And how does it manifest? Defensiveness? Irrationality? Clinging to disproven notions in order to bolster my ideological beliefs?

Gerarddm
05-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Jeez, delecta. Surely you jest.

Surely?

If not, O dear.

delecta
05-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Insecurity complex, eh? That's very interesting. Just how fragile do you think my ego is? And how does it manifest? Defensiveness? Irrationality? Clinging to disproven notions in order to bolster my ideological beliefs?

I would say your ego is quite fragile considering how quickly you assault so many people here with your claims of vast intelligence. You are a nasty person and the only reason I've become nasty is that no one calls you out. Frankly I feel horrible doing such and I need to log off and walk away.

You do what makes you happy and I will try and restrain myself from getting annoyed.

RonW
05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Well it looks to me like romney is running again in 2016, and is more interested in drawing attention to himself rather then worrying about poor berry being called names......

Just another democrat .............playing politics........

Ian McColgin
05-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Romney's motives are likely as simple as Wolfboro is one of his residences and an openly racist public official in one of his home towns offended him. And offended at least ten* others. One hopes that many others were offended, as obviously was the person who had overheard the remark and made it a public issue.

* According to the census there are ten black residents in Wolfboro.

Breakaway
05-20-2014, 04:24 PM
In any event, I am not much for patting folks on the back for simply doing what they are supposed to. Kudos are reserved for those who go "above and beyond." Of course for a politician, doing the right thing IS above and beyond ( I am only half-joking) so I guess its OK.

Kevin

David G
05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
I would say your ego is quite fragile considering how quickly you assault so many people here with your claims of vast intelligence. You are a nasty person and the only reason I've become nasty is that no one calls you out. Frankly I feel horrible doing such and I need to log off and walk away.

You do what makes you happy and I will try and restrain myself from getting annoyed.

OK... I'm going to resist the urge to use the ample material provided in a humorous way. Instead - I'll pay you the compliment of assuming that your are being serious, and respond in kind. I've said the following before, but you apparently haven't stumbled across it.

The reason I occasional am hard on people doesn't really have to do with insecurity. It has more to do with impatience.

My approach to folks is to assume that they are fair, honest, and interested in the truth. Whether they agree with me on the particulars of any given social or economic issue doesn't matter. I'm here to share what I know, and to learn more. All in aid of a search for a broader understanding for everyone. And that works... sometimes. Sometimes, though I debate with folks who end up realizing they can't defend the positions they take, and admit their error. Sometimes, I'm wrong as to the facts, and admit my error. Either of those work for me. Sometimes I debate with folks who can't support their positions, and choose to simply drift away from the discussion. That's ok, too, I guess. It'd be nice if they'd go away, do some research, and come back with a stronger case. But that seldom happens.

And then there are the times when someone can't support their position, but keep on asserting it anyway. When questioned - they duck & dodge. Or they wheel logical fallacies into place, or they quote badly written nonsense from some uber-partisan source. Not being able to support their case with either facts or logic... they keep on pressing. This is where I lose patience. We're all impatient to some degree. We're all insecure to some degree (except the sociopaths). But insecurity is not a large issue for me. Impatience is. I recognize it, admit it, and am working on it. So if you feel the need to hammer me about something... that's the issue that's germane. If you have other thoughts about room for personal improvement on my part, feel free to share them. I'm interested in truth. I'm interested in improvement - for myself and, in fact, for all.

And you? How can you improve? Well... there are a few items - even in the one small comment quoted above - that you could address.

First - You have mis-diagnosed my malady. I'm not sure if the ability to make an accurate read in such circumstances is important to you, or if you have the nascent ability to be developed. But that's one area you COULD improve. I understand that the more READING - esp. fiction - that one does, the better developed this facility becomes. Besides - reading is fun... I highly recommend it.

Second - Hyperbole. Saying that I assault people is a bit over the top. And I've never made the claim that I possess "vast intelligence". You also say that "... no one calls you out". Actually, every so often people confront me - regarding facts, logic, or attitude. So... maybe you believe all of these claims to be absolutely true. If so... you'd simply be incorrect. Instead, though, I interpret them as being claims you believe to have SOME truth... and that you've simply overstated them for emphasis, or in the heat of the moment. I could be incorrect, but prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt. The thing about hyperbole, though, is that it only works in very small doses, and usually only when your correspondent can see you have your tongue firmly in cheek. The opposite of what you've done here. And... when you overstate your case - it doesn't go un-noticed. In response, people tend to automatically discount what you've said. It's the natural reaction. So... you might eschew the hyperbole, and use more rigorously precise language, if you are actually trying to be taken seriously.

Third - Name calling. When you say I'm a "nasty person"... it's certainly an opinion you're entitled to hold. I won't try and dissuade you. I'd argue that I'm not. That - while I'm capable of becoming quite scathingly cutting - that inherent nastiness is not the source of such. But that's not the point. Name calling as a tactic is the point. It's something I've done - in moments of impatience. But - in addition to being against the rules here, and liable to get you poofed if one was inclined to mash the button - I find it's also just not very effective. While some people may agree with you... even they are not likely to enjoy seeing the behavior. It tends to turn folks against you, and they - as a result - will discount even your legitimate points. Again - more rigor might serve you better.

Summary - If you want to be serious... I'm happy to engage with you. But only on the basis mentioned above. ONLY if you want to get the facts right. That means - if I'm wrong, you correct me with facts, data, and logic. I welcome learning more, and am perfectly willing to change my stance - if you're convincing enough. I expect the same from you. If your arguments are refuted, come back with a better argument. Better data, Facts that are germane. Any legitimate ammo you can muster. If you should run out of ammo - admit it. Put the discussion on hold until you can construct a better case. Or not. You can also just go away. I won't be offended. Or... you could even consider changing your position. Try it - it won't kill you. I know this from wide personal experience. None of us are right about everything. None of us know all there is to know about even the most narrowly defined and carefully researched topic. We all have room to grow.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-20-2014, 07:30 PM
I feel a group hug coming on.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-20-2014, 07:31 PM
And I've never made the claim that I possess "vast intelligence".

I don't think you need to Dave.... I think you possess at least 'significant intelligence', and that's just from reading your posts. I'm sure you're even smarter in person.

David G
05-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Only Canahoodians do that <G>

delecta
05-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Your long winded post is exactly what I expected, half a dozen insults, with suggestions on how I can change. I believe you're not the horrible person you project on line and I'm going to go with that. I might suggest that you find something in life that offers an outlet for your anger, perhaps become a conservative, maybe buy a lathe and start turning.

In any event I'm not going to address each and every error in you post but embrace you on your journey in becoming a better member here.

God Speed

delecta
05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
i don't know anything about you, other than the way you represent yourself here. On that basis alone we all make judgments about others here. For all I know, in real life, you could be another mother Theresa....

...but I doubt it.

Who asked you?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Okay okay.... move along, nothing to see here.

David G
05-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Sigh...

David G
05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Your long winded post is exactly what I expected, half a dozen insults, with suggestions on how I can change. I believe you're not the horrible person you project on line and I'm going to go with that. I might suggest that you find something in life that offers an outlet for your anger, perhaps become a conservative, maybe buy a lathe and start turning.

In any event I'm not going to address each and every error in you post but embrace you on your journey in becoming a better member here.

God Speed

Sigh...

In the interests of transparency, and to put delecta in a better light - he just sent the following. Sorry to blow your cover, mate, but YOU are the one who's better than he presents himself:

I appreciate the time and effort you put into your post, I understand what it takes to respond as such.

I'm tired and don't have the energy to respond with more then I did.

Besides, I have to maintain my persona on the forum as a right wing prick :)

Thank you David.

David G
05-21-2014, 09:07 AM
So... back to the topic - good for Romney. Now... where are the rest on the Republicans - local and national????