PDA

View Full Version : I was rudely reminded today

cs
05-18-2014, 06:33 PM
That the only thing that gives between a hammer and an anvil is the thumb. How rude.

Chad

BrianW
05-18-2014, 06:43 PM
I didn't know you had an anvil.

Do you need an Advil?

cs
05-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Well it's really the flat place on the back of the vice for hammering. No advil needed. Just hope it stops bleeding soon and got wonder when the thumbnail is going to pop off.

Chad

cs
05-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Havent lost the thumbnail yet but I imagine I will. It has been about 4hours since the unfortunate meeting of thumb and hammer and it is still seeping blood pretty good.

Chad

bahma
05-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Good thing it's bleeding, you won't get a subungual haematoma, which can be extraordinarily painful as the blood pressure builds up under the nail.
not saying yours is not painful, but it would be much worse.
Usual treatment for a haematoma is to drill a small hole through the nail, can be done with an electric drill and a very sharp 1/16" drill. Held very steady and with the touch if an angel. Relief of the pressure often saves the nail too. Apply the minimum of pressure.

cs
05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Here is a picture I just took. I have noticed my thumb now has a clipped corner as seen in the picture.

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10292144_677820148922539_7404794424592746373_n.jpg

This was the first time that I've hit my thumb and it made me sick to my stomach, my skin went clammy, hot sweats and got dizzy.

Chad

Phillip Allen
05-18-2014, 07:36 PM
what a colorful post!

Curtism
05-18-2014, 07:37 PM
You don't mess around, do you?

Ouch, those take a while to mend, hang in there.

paulf
05-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Would love to hear the stream of profanity that followed. I get real creative!!

cs
05-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Would you believe that I calmly walked over and calmly laid the hammer down said only one SOB and went inside leaving a trail of blood and had my wife bandage me up.

Draketail
05-18-2014, 08:26 PM
About 18 months ago I ended up loosing three different fingernails form various heavy timber and hammer accidents. It does eventually stop throbbing, and at some point (took 6 months in my case) the nail will fall off. About a year until all evidence of the mishaps grew out... Settle in for the long haul.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Would love to hear the stream of profanity that followed. I get real creative!!

Oh, shucky darn!

Ron Williamson
05-19-2014, 06:24 AM
I did mine in 1988, while nailing sub fascia to fly rafters at the ridge of a 15/12 roof on a two story house.
Lucky for me,I was already laid out on the framing and couldn't fall. I didn't puke either,but I sure felt like it.
The nail is still weird.
R

Y Bar Ranch
05-19-2014, 06:33 AM
You'll be flunting that for years

PeterSibley
05-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Yesterday I learned that you are supposed to let the bit in the laminate trimmer stop before you grab it to change it.

Somewhat similar to the above but with a couple of missing bits.

BETTY-B
05-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Yup. Ouch. A couple years ago I was forcing a piece of framing over to my line as I sent a split nail home into the concrete with the persuader. My middle finger slipped and I could do nothing but watch in slow motion as that thing connected leaving a full red spray against the foundation. I took an early lunch that day.

Nicholas Carey
05-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Well it's really the flat place on the back of the vice for hammering. No advil needed. Just hope it stops bleeding soon and got wonder when the thumbnail is going to pop off.

Chad

I did something like that once. I was quick thinking, though: I pulled out the drill, chucked a new 1/16 inch bit in it, sterilized it with a match and — very, very, carefully :) — drilled through the nail [just!] to relieve the pressure. The little spout of blood was surprising, but I didn't lose the nail.

Edited to note that great minds think alike!

Good thing it's bleeding, you won't get a subungual haematoma, which can be extraordinarily painful as the blood pressure builds up under the nail.

not saying yours is not painful, but it would be much worse.

Usual treatment for a haematoma is to drill a small hole through the nail, can be done with an electric drill and a very sharp 1/16" drill. Held very steady and with the touch if an angel. Relief of the pressure often saves the nail too. Apply the minimum of pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cs
05-20-2014, 06:26 AM
I think that we are beyond hope for this nail from the git go. The picture really doesn't do it justice. If you look closely at the picture you will see a half moon line beyond the nail on the thumb. That is the outline of the hammer head. As seen in the picture you can see even several hours later it was still oozing blood all around the edge of the nail. In fact it is still oozing blood and the nail is black as midnight. I think I can write this nail off.

Chad

Canoez
05-20-2014, 08:27 AM
I think that we are beyond hope for this nail from the git go. The picture really doesn't do it justice. If you look closely at the picture you will see a half moon line beyond the nail on the thumb. That is the outline of the hammer head. As seen in the picture you can see even several hours later it was still oozing blood all around the edge of the nail. In fact it is still oozing blood and the nail is black as midnight. I think I can write this nail off.

Chad

Sorry for the pain, Chad. However, there are easier ways to travel than to try to imitate Flat Stanley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Stanley).

TomF
05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Would you believe that I calmly walked over and calmly laid the hammer down said only one SOB and went inside leaving a trail of blood and had my wife bandage me up.Nope, I wouldn't. :D

(or at least, that's not how such things happen in my house!)

cs
05-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Nope, I wouldn't. :D

(or at least, that's not how such things happen in my house!)

Usually that is not the way it happens at my house either. Normal procedure would be a string of profanities followed closely by an airborne hammer. But this time all cool and collected. I guess I did say a loud ouch when I did it because the wife all the way in the house heard me, but I kept it clean except for one SOB.

I think this hammer is out to kill me. This is the same hammer that hit me between the eyes over 30 years ago giving me 5 stitches.

Chad

TomF
05-20-2014, 11:25 AM
...I think this hammer is out to kill me. This is the same hammer that hit me between the eyes over 30 years ago giving me 5 stitches.

ChadTime to lend that hammer to someone you don't like. :D

John of Phoenix
05-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Here is a picture I just took. I have noticed my thumb now has a clipped corner as seen in the picture.

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10292144_677820148922539_7404794424592746373_n.jpg

This was the first time that I've hit my thumb and it made me sick to my stomach, my skin went clammy, hot sweats and got dizzy.

Chad
A classic case of shock. It doesn't take much.

Hope you heal quickly.

Ron Williamson
05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
When it happens,it's time to lay down, put your feet up and take slow deep breaths.
R

cs
08-28-2014, 11:31 PM
So I first posted this on 5/18 and it is now 8/29 so maybe an update is in order.

I have about half the thumb nail back and there is still quite a bit of numbness in the thumb. Kinda feels like it has pins and needles in the end of the thumb. I figure I probably have some permanent nerve damage at the end of the thumb.

Chad

purri
08-28-2014, 11:44 PM
There are worse reminders, like a poorly applied dubbing adze.

bobbys
08-29-2014, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain.

It happens to me every 5years or so.

I never miss but sometimes I slip or something.

Seems it happens when it's cold out just to double up the pain..

Icuss with words I never even knew I knew and in several different languages I do not know..

Peerie Maa
08-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Good thing it's bleeding, you won't get a subungual haematoma, which can be extraordinarily painful as the blood pressure builds up under the nail.not saying yours is not painful, but it would be much worse.Usual treatment for a haematoma is to drill a small hole through the nail, can be done with an electric drill and a very sharp 1/16" drill. Held very steady and with the touch if an angel. Relief of the pressure often saves the nail too. Apply the minimum of pressure.The preferred method in our A & E is to heat a straightened paperclip to red heat and burn a small hole on the nail. There are several advantages. As soon as the hole is formed the spurt of blood cools the wire. The process is sterile and will not introduce germs into the wound, there is less risk of cutting into the quick as the wire is blunt.

wizbang 13
08-29-2014, 06:27 AM
hammeroid

one of my favorite made up words

S.V. Airlie
08-29-2014, 07:41 AM
I turned around to shut a door one time. The wind blew it shut with my fingers between the door frame and the door. Ouch! Worse the door was locked and no one was home! I lost a few nails for sure. Obviously, I feel your pain!

John Smith
08-29-2014, 08:25 AM
I caught a finger between the gunwale of our dink and a rail on the cruising boat when a wave I did not see came along. Extremely painful and I lost the nail. Don't remember how long that took, but I was young and it all seemed to find its way back to normal.

It only takes an instant.

I do hope your wife didn't bother with the "That's a dumb thing to do" lecture.

Shang
08-29-2014, 11:30 AM
This is confession time, huh?

Okay, I was working on my house in the woods in upstate NY, building a stairway into the basement using huge--really huge! stones. Dropped one on my right hand, crushing four of the five fingers and making it impossible to hold a tool in that hand.

Whudthell, I said as the pain began to subside...at least I can use my left hand to clean up around the job site..........and I picked up a handful of scrap stuff...

...not noticing that my left hand was crushing a good sized wasp nest.

cs
08-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Ouch. that can be a pain. I was doing recycles the other day and went to take the liner out of the can and when I reached down I did the same thing. Only difference is there was only one wasp.

Chad

Bubba L.
08-29-2014, 04:08 PM
When all you have is a hammer...
Been there, ouch.

Gene