PDA

View Full Version : Berth Blankets

Todd Schliemann
03-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for some good quality berth blankets. My old green army blankets have served well, nice and heavy, tightly woven, no stray wool "hairs" plugging up the bilge ... but they are, well not looking very good at this point. Hate all the "polar tech" types cause they're too light to sleep under. Nothing like a nice blanket on a cold night. Anyone know of a source?

Todd Schliemann
Anyone have a suggestion for some good quality berth blankets. My old green army blankets have served well, nice and heavy, tightly woven, no stray wool "hairs" plugging up the bilge ... but they are, well not looking very good at this point. Hate all the "polar tech" types cause they're too light to sleep under. Nothing like a nice blanket on a cold night. Anyone know of a source?

Todd Schliemann

cs
03-28-2001, 06:45 AM
Todd,
If you want army blankets you can go to your local Army Surplus store and they will have plenty. If you want a wool blanket without the US on it the US Calvery store has some.

http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail.asp?item=2&stk_code=WA19098

If you want you can e-mail me and I will check with the clothing store.

Chad Smith

cs
Todd,
If you want army blankets you can go to your local Army Surplus store and they will have plenty. If you want a wool blanket without the US on it the US Calvery store has some.

Chad Smith

cs
Todd,

Chad Smith

paladin
03-28-2001, 08:36 AM
Todd,
Dunno if you are near a large city but....
Icelandic wool blankets and Llama wool blankets from Peru are actually a bit lighter than the old G.I. Blankets and just as warm if not warmer and they are woven just as tight and with patterns (native) using the natural wool colors. I have used them for close to 20 years and they are still good. Of course you can get them real cheap in Lima or Reykyavik.

paladin
Todd,
Icelandic wool blankets and Llama wool blankets from Peru are actually a bit lighter than the old G.I. Blankets and just as warm if not warmer and they are woven just as tight and with patterns (native) using the natural wool colors. I have used them for close to 20 years and they are still good. Of course you can get them real cheap in Lima or Reykyavik.

paladin
Todd,

paladin
03-28-2001, 08:38 AM
Sorry, The Icelandic blankets and wool products are also available in the Cayman Islands. Icelandair has tourist flights there using "Eagle Air" also part of Icelandair.

paladin
Sorry, The Icelandic blankets and wool products are also available in the Cayman Islands. Icelandair has tourist flights there using "Eagle Air" also part of Icelandair.

paladin

Bob Cleek
03-29-2001, 10:13 PM
You want your basic "Hudson's Bay" blanket. You should find them in any high quality sporting goods outfit's catalog. Cabella's has them, I think.

Bob Cleek
You want your basic "Hudson's Bay" blanket. You should find them in any high quality sporting goods outfit's catalog. Cabella's has them, I think.

Bob Cleek

Q.Foster
03-30-2001, 10:53 AM
Well,Todd, in the old days when you came below on a vessel such as BOLERO at her mooring in Brenton Cove, you would see the pilot berths made up with neat pillows from Abercrombe with the boats name and crossed burgees embroidered on it, and within that pillow would be the blanket, kept dry and neat by the embriodered pillow case. Pretty tidy, both for the day sails around Newport, and for the offwatch looking for a warm dry blanket. Of course, the blanket would be embroidered with the boat's name and crossed burgees, too. It could be stuffed back into the wool case when it was time to go back on watch.

Details, details.

You can still get this stuff, not from Abercrombe's anymore, but from an outfit in Ct named Zuse, in polar fleece.

Q.Foster
Well,Todd, in the old days when you came below on a vessel such as BOLERO at her mooring in Brenton Cove, you would see the pilot berths made up with neat pillows from Abercrombe with the boats name and crossed burgees embroidered on it, and within that pillow would be the blanket, kept dry and neat by the embriodered pillow case. Pretty tidy, both for the day sails around Newport, and for the offwatch looking for a warm dry blanket. Of course, the blanket would be embroidered with the boat's name and crossed burgees, too. It could be stuffed back into the wool case when it was time to go back on watch.

Details, details.

You can still get this stuff, not from Abercrombe's anymore, but from an outfit in Ct named Zuse, in polar fleece.

Q.Foster

Details, details.

casem
03-30-2001, 11:31 AM
If you want to spend a whole lotta money the nicest wool blankets I know of are at

http://smtp2.thewwwstore.com/filson/3B.HTM

casem
If you want to spend a whole lotta money the nicest wool blankets I know of are at

casem

Todd Schliemann
04-01-2001, 10:27 PM
Q. *God is in the details*
Thanks for that suggestion. Reminds me that my sister-in-law has one of those fancy sewing machines that lays down a monogramm by computer ... or something. Probably makes tattoos too! I'll skip the tattoo, but maybe I can call in a few debts from her and do something with what I find. I still have the porcelain coffee set monogramed by the builder, Storbro, that came with the boat, in a nice mahogany rack. I'm afraid it resides in storage now for fear of damage from the kids. I think I'll take a look at the design... maybe get something from it. Thank you.
P. Yes, the lanolin in those blankets is something. I have one from Guatemala that I bartered for many years ago. VERY tightly woven. The problem is the sizes are generally randomly executed. I need four small singles and a double. Will continue the search.
Thanks all.

Todd Schliemann
Thanks for that suggestion. Reminds me that my sister-in-law has one of those fancy sewing machines that lays down a monogramm by computer ... or something. Probably makes tattoos too! I'll skip the tattoo, but maybe I can call in a few debts from her and do something with what I find. I still have the porcelain coffee set monogramed by the builder, Storbro, that came with the boat, in a nice mahogany rack. I'm afraid it resides in storage now for fear of damage from the kids. I think I'll take a look at the design... maybe get something from it. Thank you.
P. Yes, the lanolin in those blankets is something. I have one from Guatemala that I bartered for many years ago. VERY tightly woven. The problem is the sizes are generally randomly executed. I need four small singles and a double. Will continue the search.
Thanks all.

Todd Schliemann
Thanks all.