PDA

View Full Version : WB's 40th Anniversary Celebration notice

rbgarr
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
http://www.woodenboat.com/open-house-weekend?r=enews.wed.05.07.14/

Hwyl
05-09-2014, 07:10 PM
On the 14th of August, are you going Dave?

Howard Sharp
05-09-2014, 09:35 PM
We'll be there for the lobster supper!

Thad
05-10-2014, 06:33 AM
I'm teaching a class that week. I'd like to have Sea Harmony there but don't know that I'll have the time. We will see about that but see you there.

Hwyl
05-10-2014, 06:49 AM
I'm teaching a class that week. I'd like to have Sea Harmony there but don't know that I'll have the time. We will see about that but see you there.

Sounds like a great class Thad http://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/boatbuilding/sharpie-skiff.php

Thad
05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Should be a fun week!

rbgarr
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
On the 14th of August, are you going Dave?

I (at least) may if all our last child's wedding plans are in place sufficiently. Ideally I'd like to come in the boat with Margaret. She's tempted by any excuse to see the islands downeast that way, but we probably wouldn't know if that was in the cards until the day of departure. Weather and all....

Hwyl
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Maybee you could deadhead the boat to Camden or Rockland, and Margaret and you could sail it from there. That's a much easier trip as you know.

Todd D
06-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I am planning to cruise over on Tortuga unless the weather is bad.

rbgarr
06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Maybee you could deadhead the boat to Camden or Rockland, and Margaret and you could sail it from there. That's a much easier trip as you know.

I 'deadheaded' last year and she met me at Brooklin. She ended up envious that I'd gone to Matinicus, so this year she wants to do that, but the weather will determine all that.

Then there's a TSCA get-together on Warren Island on July 31st (like the SRR and just before the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta) that we might schedule our trip around instead.

rbgarr
07-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Going to the ERR and SRR by boat instead of the 40th reunion. Some choices are most definitely 'first-world problems'....

Hwyl
07-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Enjoy.

rbgarr
07-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Weather looks dubious for going downeast for the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta. Extensive fog and cloud cover, light and variable winds, rain and thunderstorms possible, even hail (?!?)

No particular schedule to keep so maybe another time, and now going to the Anniversary celebration is a possibility.

Russ Manheimer
08-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Hope to see you there Dave and others. Julia and I will be in the neighborhood next Wednesday after a visit with the Bauers on Tuesday.

Is anyone going on the Boatyard Tour on Friday? Julia draws the line at such things and I may need a ride if she goes shopping in Blue Hill as expected.

We have our tickets for both dinners and look forward to touring the WB campus. Should be a great WB weekend.

To paraphrase Donald Tofias, wooden boats win!

Who all is going?

StevenBauer
08-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Looks like I'll ride the R65 up tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to get out of work early, maybe make it up for dinner.
Still heading over, Todd? Howard launched Lily Catchpole already and I know Dave and Russ are doing the boatyard tour tomorrow.

Steven

rbgarr
08-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Thank you Robin and Pat and everyone at WB for arranging and hosting the tours of the various boatyards and your offices. Many mysteries solved. ;)

Rich Jones
08-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Has anyone taken any pictures of the big event?

rbgarr
08-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Russ Mannheimer took photos during the boatyard tours. Perhaps he'll post them some time.

StevenBauer
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
This was the scene minutes before dinner:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2014%20pics/72ABCA1D-26FE-4D9B-862C-B68C36E257C6_zps1vv91d9l.jpg

And here's the scene right now:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2014%20pics/0DD65D2C-4082-4476-ACB1-CF5871D8A9A1_zpsad82lqac.jpg

Thad
08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Missed the last of these posts. No pictures. Didn't happen except for those who shared the experience. We drove down Wed. towing the dory. Had the dory next the road with a few other small boats Thurs. Drove over to Brooklin Boatyard and looked at all going on there. Put the dory over with help from Ian Joseph, there with a couple of his shiny boats!, Friday morning. Sailed alone for the first time around noon Friday. Sailed later with Claus van der Linde off through Center Harbor and across the Reach coming back with a good breeze but dying coming back to WoodenBoat, ghosting in. Saturday it was blowing as I talked to people about the dory and it's plans before finding Pat Lown and finding her willing to sail off we went for a lively time tacking back and forth the length of Babson Harbor with a peek into Naskeag. Then we found another crew waiting for a house/office tour with Pat. Then with help from a total of at least 20 people in various stages I got rowed out to the dory by Jim Miller. Taking the rudder off and raising the centerboard I paddled for the ramp where with a couple others we started rolling the boat up the ramp before I went for the truck and trailer, pulling her up above the ramp with the truck. Then a small crew lifted the stern onto the sawhorse before I rigged the sheerlegs and another crew lifted and winched the bow high enough to get the trailer under her. Scot came along and with Pat we got the sails in their bags. Then it was mostly me with help from Pat tying her down and securing everything. I tried to make it the highlight of cocktails and dinner preparations a few feet away (hope they enjoyed the show), and much appreciate all the willing helpers. About 5:30 lines seemed formed for dinner service as we pulled around the boiling fires and away. Drove home today, traffic a little thick through southern Maine but not too bad. The 40th seemed a laid back but appreciated event. The anchorage was not the HUGE display of ERR but was a beautiful selection of wooden boats.

StevenBauer
08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Thad, I can't believe we missed all that. I didn't even know you had the dory there until I saw you driving away from the dinner up the hill. In retrospect I think we saw you out on the water earlier in the day. Howard and I sailed from his mooring in his Chebacco from the Benjamin River to the WoodenBoat moorings and back. At one point I saw what must have been your sail in the distance.

We saw Claus heading out in Alera today when we went for a sail on Mimi Rose:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2014%20pics/b0263e1e7f5bfc5c3bfc5b3d62e46b65_zps6833823c.jpg

Here is Mimi Rose:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2014%20pics/1fed0f769b48366c18256edf5bc60353_zps568af3bb.jpg

Thad
08-18-2014, 05:12 AM
I had email with Tom but we left the 13th so missed your exchanges above. I was at Marblehead for the Classic the weekend before. got home Monday late and packed up Tuesday for an early start next day, so hadn't much attention to this machine starting the 8th, when Russ posted. Sorry to have missed you all but fun and good times! It was the Mimi Rose crew and Claus with whom I got the office tour. Thanks.

Q.Foster
08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
I was part of the small crowd that gathered to watch Thad lift and roll his big Mower onto the trailer, using rollers and an A-frame.
What a marvelous display of old-world expertise and found tools. Not to mention an eye-opening build of the 1890s open boat which could be seen sailing all around the Reach all afternoon.
The kind of knowledge and creativity that WoodenBoat magazine was founded (forty years ago) to display and preserve. And there was Thad doing it all himself, with members of the crowd helping where he directed.
Thanks Thad for the best show of the evening. I hope you got some lobster.
Q.

Ben Fuller
08-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Thad, you must have been doing this at WB ramp at low tide? Have they improved it at all? I've mostly been using the launch over the beach at Naskeag which is solid, sandy and has a pretty good drop off. Sorry not to get up to the event, boat work prep for the SRR called. Other than the party, I'd pretty much been over the ground.

Thad
08-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Would have been fun to stay around and talk, but I had called the last minute a friend with a beautiful garden living just down the road there who said to come and stay, so my lady friend was able to come along and the women had been out and about all day and we were heading out the next morning. Grand sailing and talk. More lobster for you.

Canoez
08-18-2014, 08:14 AM
This was the scene minutes before dinner:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2014%20pics/72ABCA1D-26FE-4D9B-862C-B68C36E257C6_zps1vv91d9l.jpg

That a Phillies hat in the background? ;)

Thad
08-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Launched at low water on the beach, waited for tide to fill and lift. Hauling, I came in with tide at the bottom of the now concrete ramp, concrete on the steepest section, then with rollers brought her up onto the stone/gravel more level to lift and drop her onto the trailer. The sheer legs were constructed by Lee Van Gemert for his Indian, the method they always used when trailering, and the Indian is a development from this Mower design.

I thank again the waterfront crew for making all this possible and pleasant!