PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling II

TomZ
05-07-2014, 07:30 AM
reset
I thought I'd post an interview with a home-schooler. It's just one example, but I think its representative. There are lots of homeschooler groups out there, which the Moms and Dads flock to - for multiple reasons. They need support from like-minded people, a chance to have their kids get together for group times, academic support, discuss what works and what doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4LRWt_mD0

Of all the homeschool folks I know, they're not fanatics, or people trying to game the system. Some do it for religious reasons, others for academic, or both. But overall, they are trying to provide the best environment and education for their children. It's a tremendous amount of work, and not everyone can do it, but there is also a tremendous amount of help and resources available. It would be so much easier just to send them off to school.

Just trying to provide a different perspective.

Tom Z

(Scott, please feel free to remove this thread, per your discretion)

John Smith
05-07-2014, 08:37 AM
I actually believe, if one is qualified (big part of this) one can teach children at home more information than the school can. That's one possibility.

The question I come up with first pertains to the number of children in a family. A mom/dad may be able to do a great job with one child. Can they do as good a job with four children?

One thing I don't think a child gets through home schooling is the (I believe) necessary interaction with others that school provides.

I haven't looked at the other thread, which is my bad, but I'm curious as to any studies taken by serious studiers as to how well home schooled kids do later in life.

TomZ
05-07-2014, 08:58 AM
John, from what I have observed of several families with 8 - 14 kids(really), is that the older ones are enlisted to teach the younger ones. So the parents end up as supervisors, guides. In my opinion, this serves the older kids well, and teaches them compassion and responsibility early on. What you end up with is a very active and close knit family. It's such a joy to go over to their house for a visit, the kids are great conversationalists, interested in a wide variety of subjects.

On the one hand, if you have 14 kids, there's lots of interaction, but families tend to do things together - bowling, picnics, lots of activities to provide for interaction with other kids - home schooling parents feel this is important too.

Added: I just want to add, that qualification for teaching is a wide concern, especially with new home-schoolers. However there are a huge array of programs out there that cover you. The ones we chose usually involved sending the tests and homework to an independant entity for grading. They were always there to provide assistance for any subject, math, science, and would even provide tutoring on request.