PDA

View Full Version : $23,000 poorer?

JimD
05-01-2014, 04:17 PM
If your bank made a clerical error and somehow deposited $23,000 into your account that wasn't yours would you tell them? Well mine just did. So I called them up to say thanks. They're still trying to sort it out. :D

JimD
05-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I think I'd wait until a little interest accrued before I "noticed".... :D
The thought crossed my mind.

skuthorp
05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Similarly a bank once deposited $60,000 in my account instead of $600.00. When informed (over the counter) the bank denied the error. So I said in that case I'd withdraw $59,000 on the spot. They changed their mind quite quickly at that point.

JimD
05-01-2014, 04:39 PM
This is supposedly an investment I bought months ago although it has never appeared on any of my previous statements. It just showed up.

CWSmith
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Finder's fee? Reward? A hearty handshake?

JimD
05-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Finder's fee? Reward? A hearty handshake?

A fridge magnet at the very least.

Too Little Time
05-01-2014, 05:47 PM
If your bank made a clerical error and somehow deposited $23,000 into your account that wasn't yours would you tell them? Well mine just did. So I called them up to say thanks. They're still trying to sort it out. :D

I make more clerical errors than my bank. I have tried to deposit checks that were not legal - post dated, no signature, different amounts in the 2 locations, no payee, wrong account number.

But I am on good terms with my bank. We sort out everything. I do wish they had donuts more often.

Bobcat
05-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I had that happen recently. It was $5,000. The woman on the phone from the bank kept thanking me for not withdrawing it..

JimD
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
... I do wish they had donuts more often.
I'm more of a bran muffing guy but maybe for the right creme filling.

Concordia...41
05-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Between the multiple offices I do bookkeeping for, between eleven accounts in five different banks, there's at least one bank error per month.

Often extra deposits. Sometimes large sometime small. I generally tell them it's fine if they want to leave it, but likely somewhere someone is freaking out...

seanz
05-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Donate it to charity.
:D

Paul Pless
05-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Donate it to charity.
:Dtehe

JimD
05-01-2014, 07:14 PM
How about I buy a boat with it and name it Charity?

gilberj
05-01-2014, 07:20 PM
I think it was mine....

bamamick
05-01-2014, 07:52 PM
I had several friends at work who were overpaid x2 for a period of a couple of months until an internal audit figured it out. These guys all kept really quiet about it, until they were called in and told they would not receive paychecks until the money was evened out as it should have been. Of course these guys had all gone out and bought stuff and for some crazy reason thought no one would ever figure this out.

Except for one guy. He knew as soon as it happened what would go down, so he opened a separate account for those duplicate checks and put them all in savings. When they began withholding checks from everyone he was in great shape, plus he had earned a few dollars interest for his trouble.

The moral of the story is that they will always find out and you will always get screwed if you don't know that they will always find out. I guess?

rtr

George Jung
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I had a bank 'credit' my account with $1500, when I had deposited $15,000 - and of course, my tuition check bounced. They even (tried to) charge me for the bounced check!

I went into the bank with a lil' fire in my eyes, and complained. The first bank officer denied there was a problem - but when I charged them with the temerity of such a mistake, plus trying to charge me for it - he let me talk to the bank president, who 'graciously' corrected his mistake.

I think it was being able to use 'temerity' in a sentence that got it done for me! :p

bamamick
05-01-2014, 08:31 PM
I think you are right, George. I sure as heck am not messing with anyone who can use 'temerity' in a sentence. Period!

Mickey Lake

BrianY
05-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty certain that if you spend the money erroneously deposited into your account, you are liable for paying back every cent of it once they figure out that they made the error. It's not like Monopoly where you get to keep the $10 bank error.

seanz
05-02-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty certain that if you spend the money erroneously deposited into your account, you are liable for paying back every cent of it once they figure out that they made the error. It's not like Monopoly where you get to keep the $10 bank error.

But Monopoly does set an arguable cultural precedent......

jonboy
05-02-2014, 05:41 AM
A client recently paid a cheque into his account that went somewhere else... he then gave me cheque assuming he was in credit, and it bounced. I was charged 30€ for the privelege of his cheque bouncing, and it wasn't even his fault, except arguably he should have waited til his deposit cleared before paying me...but whoever does that...? And I have no redress unless he voluntarily pays me the thirty beertokens, but the banks are adamant 'that's the system, it's in the small print'

elf
05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
One year when I was treasurer of the local craft retail coop I went on vacation for a week and left the manage to make the deposits. She filled everything out correctly, trotted down to the bank and put the money in. The clerk posted the MC/Visa deposit as an extra $600.00 (she had posted a hundred dollar deposit with a crossed 1 and they thought it was a 7). When the statement came in I went to the bank and pointed out the error. They had just given us $600.

They couldn't understand what the problem was.

I figured they'd find it when the credit card people discovered it.

Two years later it was still there.

I put it in a CD for the store and moved the account to a sensible bank.

The bank that made the error was bought out and eventually became Bank of America. I will never do business with BA.

Despite the terrible interest rates, 15 years later the CD was worth double that.

rbgarr
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Yeah.I'd seriously consider changing banks.

JimD
05-02-2014, 09:37 AM
In this case the 23K is locked in to a term deposit that matures in 2016. If its still there in 2 maybe I'll cash it.

gilberj
05-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I had a friend years ago was paid double wages by mistake. He informed the book-keeper. the error continued each month for 6 months. Each time he advised the appropriate people, and each time they said they would fix it. After 6 months he left and never went back and never paid back the money.

ian scott
05-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I had a bank transfer $50,000 of my money into a wrong account once. Should have gone into a new account I was opening but never appeared. I was a little nervous but they sorted it out. On the other hand I have made many similar mistakes typing incorrect acct numbers.

MiddleAgesMan
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
A young teen up the road from Savannah had $30,000 deposited into his account in error. He went out and spent most of it.

The bank had him arrested once they discovered their error and found the guy couldn't return the portion he had spent.

seanz
05-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Of course everybody has their price.......

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/7538147/Runaway-millionaires-sentenced

One of the country's most notorious bank thieves, Hui 'Leo' Gao, has been handed a jail term of four years and seven months at sentencing in Rotorua District Court this morning.
His partner, Kara Hurring, received nine months' home detention and was ordered to pay reparation of $11,800 to Westpac bank.
The couple - dubbed the runaway millionaires - were arrested last year after evading authorities for nearly two and half years while on the run in China.
The pair had fled Rotorua in April 2009 after Westpac Bank mistakenly deposited $10 million instead of $100,000 into Gao's Rotorua service station overdraft account.

Rich Jones
05-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Decades ago, I deposited $250 in my savings account. The bank recorded it as $250,000. I got a frantic phone call a few hours later to come back and have them fix it.

Todd D
05-03-2014, 12:18 PM
When I was in college, I banked at the same bank as my brother. One month I deposited my pay check and the bank credited it to my brother's account. I found out when my rent check bounced. I ended up getting evicted despite the fact that I got my bank to send a letter to my landlord (also a banker) explaining their error. Of course my brother spent the money. The bank's position was that we should straighten it out between ourselves. My brother refused to pay me. I haven't spoken to him since (it was 42 years ago). I changed banks immediately.

davebrown
05-03-2014, 12:48 PM
If there is anything done to hide it, or if one were to wilfully spend money that you know is no yours--there are many DAs that will charge, and maybe all would.

jonboy
05-04-2014, 09:16 AM
When I was in college, I banked at the same bank as my brother. One month I deposited my pay check and the bank credited it to my brother's account. I found out when my rent check bounced. I ended up getting evicted despite the fact that I got my bank to send a letter to my landlord (also a banker) explaining their error. Of course my brother spent the money. The bank's position was that we should straighten it out between ourselves. My brother refused to pay me. I haven't spoken to him since (it was 42 years ago). I changed banks immediately.

42 years . ouch. It's sad when siblings have splits like this, but on the other hand, you have nothing to lose unless you one day hope for a reconciliation...
send him a registered letter stating he effectively stole the money from you, and it now is xx plus 42 years interest, and expenses incurred in your eviction and you'd like immediate payment or you'll see him in court or something similar... don't suppose for a minute it will work, but you certainly will spoil his day.. and if he does pay up, don't cash the cheque, but say you'd like to meet him there's a lot of news to talk about. or open an account in your nephew's or niece's name. or spend it.