PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a left-handed skill saw??

Dale R. Hamilton
02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Excuse if this subject has been discussed before- but I'm interested in upgrading my skill saw prior to starting a new house addition. I really like the worm drives- like the Skill HD77 and the Bosch- but at 14 lbs each- I don't think I can live with it. However, Porter Cable 743K is a 15 amp left handed saw- weighs about 9 lbs and avialable for $129.00. I like the idea that a right handed guy can use the sight line without leaning over the saw. Anybody got any experience they would like to shate about the PC 743K?

Dale R. Hamilton
Excuse if this subject has been discussed before- but I'm interested in upgrading my skill saw prior to starting a new house addition. I really like the worm drives- like the Skill HD77 and the Bosch- but at 14 lbs each- I don't think I can live with it. However, Porter Cable 743K is a 15 amp left handed saw- weighs about 9 lbs and avialable for $129.00. I like the idea that a right handed guy can use the sight line without leaning over the saw. Anybody got any experience they would like to shate about the PC 743K?

Dale R. Hamilton

cs
02-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Just recently I bought the Porter saw with the blade on the left hand side. Don't be confused, this is not a left handed saw, but rather a saw with the blade on the left side.

The line of sight is nice and the saw is a joy to use. A couple of things that I need to get used to is having the weight of the saw on the cut-off and cutting the other side of the line. Also holding the blade guard up with my thumb is a little awkard.

But I think that this is just me trying to get used to the saw. If I had to do it again I would buy the exact same saw.

Chad

cs
Just recently I bought the Porter saw with the blade on the left hand side. Don't be confused, this is not a left handed saw, but rather a saw with the blade on the left side.

The line of sight is nice and the saw is a joy to use. A couple of things that I need to get used to is having the weight of the saw on the cut-off and cutting the other side of the line. Also holding the blade guard up with my thumb is a little awkard.

But I think that this is just me trying to get used to the saw. If I had to do it again I would buy the exact same saw.

Chad

cs

Chad

Venchka
02-05-2004, 11:36 AM
I bought a 743K too. Like it a lot. $119 at Lowe's & Home Depot. Saw them on the shelf last night.

Venchka
I bought a 743K too. Like it a lot. $119 at Lowe's & Home Depot. Saw them on the shelf last night.

Venchka

Jim H
02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I've had one for a little over 3 years (?) and I think it's great. They put a dust port on it with a detachable elbow that allows you to direct the sawdust away from you and the work. I did find that being on the same side as the blade, you really need eye protection.

Jim H
I've had one for a little over 3 years (?) and I think it's great. They put a dust port on it with a detachable elbow that allows you to direct the sawdust away from you and the work. I did find that being on the same side as the blade, you really need eye protection.

Jim H

wingnut
02-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Dale,
you beat me to the punch. I was going to ask the same question about the same saw for the same purpose (house addition). So keep the reviews comming.
So how big is the addition gonna be?
Wingnut

wingnut
Dale,
you beat me to the punch. I was going to ask the same question about the same saw for the same purpose (house addition). So keep the reviews comming.
Wingnut

wingnut
Dale,
Wingnut

Dale R. Hamilton
02-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I got off light- 20x22'- a library addition, no plumbing. Its one of those honeydo's, so to make the job more agreeable I figgered I'd buy myself a new saw. Much rather be in the boat shop. Check woodcentral.com message board, click on left-handed saw- and see comments. Some say the saws weight on the cutoff is a problem- but then why not just stand on the otherside of the work?

Dale R. Hamilton
I got off light- 20x22'- a library addition, no plumbing. Its one of those honeydo's, so to make the job more agreeable I figgered I'd buy myself a new saw. Much rather be in the boat shop. Check woodcentral.com message board, click on left-handed saw- and see comments. Some say the saws weight on the cutoff is a problem- but then why not just stand on the otherside of the work?

Dale R. Hamilton

cs
02-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Here is a link to discussion we had that helped me decided on the Porter. Lots of good info there.

Circular Saws (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002015)

Chad

cs
Here is a link to discussion we had that helped me decided on the Porter. Lots of good info there.

Circular Saws (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002015)

Chad

cs

Chad

wingnut
02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Dale & Chad,
thanks for the links i'll check those out. Dale, you did get lucky with the addition. Mine is a little over 1000 sqft & includes the works. I'm just about done with the plans so i can turn them into the city...then the fun begins.
Good luck on you project.
wingnut

wingnut
Dale & Chad,
thanks for the links i'll check those out. Dale, you did get lucky with the addition. Mine is a little over 1000 sqft & includes the works. I'm just about done with the plans so i can turn them into the city...then the fun begins.
wingnut

wingnut
Dale & Chad,
wingnut

Peter Page
02-05-2004, 05:46 PM
I Haven't seen the saws you were talking about down here, but I have an 18 volt Ryobe 5.5 inch with he blade on the left side and it is the bees knees. great for cutting ply, you can see what you are cutting. you do have to remember to cut from the other side. You dont realise how conditioned you are.

Peter Page
I Haven't seen the saws you were talking about down here, but I have an 18 volt Ryobe 5.5 inch with he blade on the left side and it is the bees knees. great for cutting ply, you can see what you are cutting. you do have to remember to cut from the other side. You dont realise how conditioned you are.

Peter Page

capt jake
02-05-2004, 07:39 PM
I have PC's 'Saw Boss'; the 6" version of the PC you are talking about. I love it! Cuts like crazy, not too heave, can cut full demensional lumber, and very accurate! I had it dedicated as a trim saw, but it works well in the big world too. smile.gif

capt jake
I have PC's 'Saw Boss'; the 6" version of the PC you are talking about. I love it! Cuts like crazy, not too heave, can cut full demensional lumber, and very accurate! I had it dedicated as a trim saw, but it works well in the big world too. smile.gif

capt jake

Paul Pless
02-05-2004, 10:54 PM
One of my best friends is a big time residential framer. His entire crew have used that Porter Cable for years. One of them recently was injured, quite badly with one of those saws. And a few of the guys are switching over to the Porter Cable with the brake.

Might be worth looking into.

Paul Pless
One of my best friends is a big time residential framer. His entire crew have used that Porter Cable for years. One of them recently was injured, quite badly with one of those saws. And a few of the guys are switching over to the Porter Cable with the brake.

Paul Pless