PDA

View Full Version : Every time I grill on charcoal....

oznabrag
04-17-2014, 11:46 PM
I try to imagine the process of making charcoal.

Because I have been grilling on charcoal for some time, now, I grew bored with imagining and have investigated this process maybe a little more than I should have.

Yesterday, I bought two barrels and a spare head and clamp.

Maybe I'll figure out pics when I turn this into realsies.

The thing is that a 50 gallon drum with a removable head that has bung-holes is a rare bird.

I have a pretty good supply of honey mesquite, for awhile, so the idea is to run the MTD 42 out to the mesquite patch with Trailer 1 and a little chain saw, to fill a barrel with mesquite chunks. Then you bring it up to the firing line, and clamp the head on. The head will have a 3" x 3/4 IP nipple, into a 90, a 10" nipple, another 90 and then a 36" nipple down the length of the barrel, with a cap.

I will have drilled a series of 1/8" holes down the length of that long nipple.

Once the head/burner assembly is in place, I will roll the barrel horizontal to a position about 2 feet off the floor of the oven, and light off the tinder I will place under the barrel.

Once pyrolysis takes over, the mesquite cooks all the substance out of itself leaving only the charcoal, and an enormous amount of 'waste' heat.

So, the idea is to set up a charcoal kiln that fires a boiler to generate electricity for sale to the grid.

Ultimately, if we choose to power the grid with many, many such producers and can simultaneously arrange NOT TO BURN THE CHARCOAL, we can begin to sequester pretty good-sized chunks of Carbon.

Anybody seen Dan Huisjen?

SeaB
04-18-2014, 05:09 AM
It should work but you will need to be certain that you replace the probably rubber gasket under the lid with something that will stand up to the heat. Maybe a door gasket material from a wood burning stove. Braided fiberglass I think as you know it needs to be airtight to work properly.

That type of drum is/was used in the honey trade and often for other food items, like brewers syrups. Many of the larger operators have gone over to pallet sized tanks now. I like the ones with the lever and lock style lid clamp, easier than the bolt style clamp

Mrleft8
04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Your waste product will be sought after by traditional wooden boat types.....

bluedog225
04-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Sounds fun. I suspect you have an endless supply of mesquite.....

oznabrag
04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Your waste product will be sought after by traditional wooden boat types.....
Waste product?

oznabrag
04-18-2014, 10:11 AM
It should work but you will need to be certain that you replace the probably rubber gasket under the lid with something that will stand up to the heat. Maybe a door gasket material from a wood burning stove. Braided fiberglass I think as you know it needs to be airtight to work properly.

That type of drum is/was used in the honey trade and often for other food items, like brewers syrups. Many of the larger operators have gone over to pallet sized tanks now. I like the ones with the lever and lock style lid clamp, easier than the bolt style clamp

Thanks, SeaB. The drums I got were used to transport acetone.

I have located some fiberglass rope and firebox gasket cement. we shall see!

Michael D. Storey
04-18-2014, 03:46 PM
mesquite tar and turps?

They will be confiscated and added to the national strategic reserves.