PDA

View Full Version : Said goodbye to an old friend today (one of our dogs).

bamamick
04-15-2014, 08:32 PM
My old bulldog, crossed over today. What a life he led. He was adopted by my daughter against our wishes from the Lee County shelter when she was dating a guy who was going to Auburn University. Since she was a minor they would not let her take him, and when they called me and explained what was going on I emphatically said 'no way'. Sarah cried and even THAT wouldn't move me. He was not coming here, period. Well, the boyfriend signed for him and here she comes with this freakin' pitbull looking thing that my first impulse was to say 'junkyard dog'. Not quite the companion I'd want for my old Basset and the Chow/Shepard mix we had at the time (old Bill, that passed away just about six months ago).

Well, this crazy dog was a furniture eater, an escaper, and a born trouble-maker. Our vet told us maybe we should just cut our losses, but no, we kept feeding him, and of course, our daughter moved on from the boyfriend and left the dog with us. He grew, and grew, and grew, until he was like some poster-boy for a killer dog movie, walking quietly around our neighborhood when he could escape from the house or the leash.

Just before we moved to the river I looked across the street and saw a toddler softly petting his nose while he quietly sat watching her (no one knew he was out of the house!). My heart stopped. My neighbor's heart stopped. Everyone who saw it had their heart stop, but he just sat there and let that child get to know him. Another time he was kidnapped by someone living a few miles away, and it took our town's unofficial mayor and a county sheriff to get him back. We found out later that the people that took him wanted him as a 'bait dog' for training others to fight. Then there was the time I came home from work and my wife had his head in her lap and he looked like he was minutes from passing away. He had been bitten by a snake, and the vet told us it was probably too late to do anything with him. Well, I figured that was it for the big dog, but no, after awhile he got up and walked to his food bowl and started eating. I figured if he was eating he would live, and he did.

Through two hip surgeries and having to carry a benign tumor around the size of a volleyball his last two years. Through having his canines ground down so he could no longer kill the cats and 'coons that would intrude upon the property, or fight with his brothers when he decided he wanted their dinners.

At the end he was a beaten up old boy who had trouble walking, but would take off running if he saw a squirrel on one of the bird feeders. But he loved us and we loved him. Good bye old cat, 'coon, and sofa killer. Good bye old grumpy face that woke me up three times a night for the last couple of years. Good bye old buddy. We'll see you on the other side.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
04-15-2014, 08:36 PM
That's well told.

Condolences Mickey.

Chip-skiff
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Sorry to hear this.

You'll be missing him for quite a while.

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Great job on the story! My condolences.

Mrleft8
04-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like a perfect friend....
Sorry for your loss Mick, and thank you for being the goddamn good soft hearted lilly livered sonnavabitch you are. It's people like you that make it all worth while.

Stiletto
04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Nice obituary, sorry for your loss.

RodB
04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I feel your pain.... nice comments encapsulating his life and meaning to you....

Sorry for your loss....

RodB

bluedog225
04-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Love them while you have them. So sorry.

Robbie 2
04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds as if he was meant to be where he was.......and you both benefited from the experience....RIP

Steve McMahon
04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Always tough to loose one. Thanks for sharing Mickey.

JimD
04-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Its always sad to lose a pet.

purri
04-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Well spoken Mick!

willmarsh3
04-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Very sorry to see him go. I still miss my cat Rascal.

htom
04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
So very well told, Mickey. May you eventually find joy in your memories.

Durnik
04-15-2014, 10:34 PM
You never know who are going to be the good ones.. Who will touch your life the most. Excuse my moist eyes..

peace
bobby

The Bigfella
04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Best wishes, Mickey. He lived a good life... he was lucky to have found you

Paul Girouard
04-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear this Mickey:-((

Jimmy W
04-15-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry, Mickey. I still miss my dog Sam.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-15-2014, 11:49 PM
A fine eulogy for a friend.

Gerarddm
04-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Heartfelt. Condolences to you and your family. Goodbye good old dog.

TomF
04-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Condolences, Mickey.

Tracey
04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm so sorry for this empty place in your heart. You never know how much space that love takes up til its gone. Peace.

ccmanuals
04-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Really sorry to hear this Mickey. You lost a dear friend and companion.

Reynard38
04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
All right, that really got me. :(

And every time we say we won't get another, but we of course do...

John of Phoenix
04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Very touching, Mickey.

Be on the lookout for the replacement he'll be sending your way. They always do.

Willin'
04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
I hope despite your sadness that you can take some pleasure from the memory of the good life you gave him and he you, Mickey.

Many condolences on your loss.

Our Barley has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. We're doing our best to prepare him and ourselves for the inevitable and cherishing every moment.

Osborne Russell
04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Well told indeed. Condolences.

John Meachen
04-16-2014, 04:58 PM
A good description of the life of a real character that leaves a real gap by his passing.Condolences.

Concordia...41
04-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thanks for painting such a nice picture of a bad dog gone good with good people :)

bamamick
04-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for such kind words. I can always count on your friendship when I need it, it would seem.

I forgot to tell the story about the cowbell we would make him wear so he couldn't sneak up on anyone. My wife's idea. He actually seemed to like it, or at least got used to it, as he would stand by the door, scratch it with his foot, and stick his neck out for you to slide it over so he could go out.

I was doing alright until last night when I went to call him so we could go lay down. For the last several years he has slept right beside me on the floor. When I went to call him and he wasn't there, well, that's when it really, really hit me.

But I agree. We had a good long life together, and he is not hurting any more. The joy of being with animals is that they fill our lives with purpose, with meaning, with happiness, but it's also a part of it that you have to learn to let them go when it's time. I just haven't ever mastered that part.

Mickey Lake

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
At our house, our dogs are part of our family too. Sorry Mickey.

CK 17
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm 52. Got my 1st dog at 45. Why I waited so long I'll never know. I can't imagine life without one. Sadly, with the cruel math of life expectancy, we have to say good bye to them way more than they have to say good bye to us.