PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly cordless drivers-experience?

Dale R. Hamilton
09-24-2003, 11:33 AM
I normally don't buy cheap tools, but when the grizzly catalog featured an 18v cordless driver, panasonic battery and drill/bit set for $69.99- I bit. I was impressed with the tool and promptly built a pressure treated outdoor deck- and it performed like a champ- for a little over a year. Then the gears turned to mush. I immediately replaced it with another. Same thing- worked well for a year and then the gears self-destructed. Now a year's service for $69 bucks ain't all that bad, but I've got Makitas and craftsman with 20 years on them. Anybody else any experience with Grizzly cordless- and am I being unreasonable?

Dale R. Hamilton
I normally don't buy cheap tools, but when the grizzly catalog featured an 18v cordless driver, panasonic battery and drill/bit set for $69.99- I bit. I was impressed with the tool and promptly built a pressure treated outdoor deck- and it performed like a champ- for a little over a year. Then the gears turned to mush. I immediately replaced it with another. Same thing- worked well for a year and then the gears self-destructed. Now a year's service for $69 bucks ain't all that bad, but I've got Makitas and craftsman with 20 years on them. Anybody else any experience with Grizzly cordless- and am I being unreasonable?

Dale R. Hamilton

cs
09-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Say it ain't so! I've no expeirance with their cordless line, but I do have a little with their table saws. I've had mine since Jan and absoulutly love it. Just have to see about the long term.

Chad

cs
Say it ain't so! I've no expeirance with their cordless line, but I do have a little with their table saws. I've had mine since Jan and absoulutly love it. Just have to see about the long term.

Chad

cs

Chad

TimH
09-24-2003, 12:57 PM
I have been beating on Makita cordless drills for about 15 years. You cant beat em. too bad they arent American. I even dropped one off of a boat deck while it was in indoor storage onto a concrete floor about 12 feet below. It bounced and was fine. Amazing smile.gif

Anyone else have good luck with grizzly table saws?

When I look at them, I think to myself "for that much I could get a used Unisaw"....

[ 09-24-2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: TimH ]

TimH
I have been beating on Makita cordless drills for about 15 years. You cant beat em. too bad they arent American. I even dropped one off of a boat deck while it was in indoor storage onto a concrete floor about 12 feet below. It bounced and was fine. Amazing smile.gif

When I look at them, I think to myself "for that much I could get a used Unisaw"....

TimH

wingnut
09-26-2003, 12:05 PM
I have a grizzly tablesaw. I can't complain since i got it used (table saw and a 6" jointer,the jointer isn't a grizzly, for $100 from a friend) the table saw has been great for the two years i've owned it. The table saw is from 1993 and was used before by my friend for building guitars.
as for the drill drivers two co-workers have them and have no complaints for the price. We'll see how long they last. One co-worker is currently building a deck useing his and really likes it, though he says it doesn't compare to is porter cable.
Grizzly has a shop in my town here and it is pretty nice to go to there showroom and look at all the tools.
in closeing i would buy another grizzly saw, though they don't seem to be as refined as other products, there price is pretty hard to beat for the average home do-it-yourselfer.
wingnut

wingnut
I have a grizzly tablesaw. I can't complain since i got it used (table saw and a 6" jointer,the jointer isn't a grizzly, for $100 from a friend) the table saw has been great for the two years i've owned it. The table saw is from 1993 and was used before by my friend for building guitars.
as for the drill drivers two co-workers have them and have no complaints for the price. We'll see how long they last. One co-worker is currently building a deck useing his and really likes it, though he says it doesn't compare to is porter cable.
Grizzly has a shop in my town here and it is pretty nice to go to there showroom and look at all the tools.
in closeing i would buy another grizzly saw, though they don't seem to be as refined as other products, there price is pretty hard to beat for the average home do-it-yourselfer.
wingnut

wingnut
wingnut

High C
09-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Chad, I wouldn't worry. It's doubtful that their cordless tools were manufactured by the same folks as their big tools. Their big tools have a great reputation. I have owned 3, a table saw, a jointer, and a planer, for about 11 years without a problem, except for the table saw that was underwater for a week after Tropical Storm Isadore. That wasn't exactly Grizzly's fault. ;)

As for cordless drills, I love 'em and have owned several. Bosch, Black and Decker, Ryobi. The batteries usually die long before the tool does, and replacement batteries cost so much, I've always just bought new drills, for almost the same cost. I sure liked that Bosch.

High C
Chad, I wouldn't worry. It's doubtful that their cordless tools were manufactured by the same folks as their big tools. Their big tools have a great reputation. I have owned 3, a table saw, a jointer, and a planer, for about 11 years without a problem, except for the table saw that was underwater for a week after Tropical Storm Isadore. That wasn't exactly Grizzly's fault. ;)

As for cordless drills, I love 'em and have owned several. Bosch, Black and Decker, Ryobi. The batteries usually die long before the tool does, and replacement batteries cost so much, I've always just bought new drills, for almost the same cost. I sure liked that Bosch.

High C

TimH
09-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I wonder what would be better, a new Grizzly table saw or a used Delta Unisaw for about the same price. Those Unisaws have one hell of a following smile.gif

TimH
I wonder what would be better, a new Grizzly table saw or a used Delta Unisaw for about the same price. Those Unisaws have one hell of a following smile.gif

TimH

Dave Fleming
09-28-2003, 08:35 AM
TimH, don't knock out the Powermatic 66 or the General of Canada version which, IMOOP, are the best tools in their class still made in North America.

Dave Fleming
TimH, don't knock out the Powermatic 66 or the General of Canada version which, IMOOP, are the best tools in their class still made in North America.

Dave Fleming