PDA

View Full Version : New excuses for Obamas failures.

genglandoh
04-15-2014, 08:58 AM
It is so funny to see how some on this forum are bending backwards to find excuses for Obama’s failures.

Just look at some of the recent threads.
1. Can Presidents do Big Things Anymore?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176025-Can-Presidents-do-Big-Things-Anymore
2. Will strong economic growth hurt us?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176175-Will-strong-economic-growth-hurt-us
3. There has also been many posts about Obamas foreign policy that basically using the excuse of who cares about that unimportant country.

LOL

Gerarddm
04-15-2014, 09:03 AM
New excuses for Geng's lame posts:

LOL

bogdog
04-15-2014, 09:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/shoeless/blaming-obama.jpg?t=1314980747
http://i.imgur.com/WVx34Tl.png

switters
04-15-2014, 09:19 AM
I cant imagine anyone collecting highly selective references to disparage a political figure here in the bilge.

That would be tantamount to hypocrisy.

Keith Wilson
04-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Since the Republicans took over the House of Representatives in 2010, their central strategy has been to block everything as much as they can, and blame it on the president. Genglandoh has swallowed this whole.

Rum_Pirate
04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Since the Republicans took over the House of Representatives in 2010, their central strategy has been to block everything as much as they can, and blame it on the president. Genglandoh has swallowed this whole.

It would seem that most/all the Democrat supporters on this forum have also swallowed that (bolded above) whole as well. :rolleyes:

ccmanuals
04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
It would seem that most/all the Democrat supporters on this forum have also swallowed that (bolded above) whole as well. :rolleyes:

It's easy to swallow because the republicans clearly stated that was their plan. We shouldn't believe what they say?

genglandoh
04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
I can see more excuses coming

1. After the 2014 Elections - Well we all expected the Republicans to win the Senate.
2. After the 2016 Elections - Well having a Republican President is no big deal.
3. After the 2018 Republican Economic Recovery - The Obama 2009 stimulus is working.

LOL

LeeG
04-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Many Republican politician articulated exactly that position. Everything from blocking appointments to idiotic investigations to crippling the gov't. Why do you align yourself with Republican talking points as opposed to conservative ones?

ccmanuals
04-15-2014, 10:15 AM

1. After the 2014 Elections - Well we all expected the Republicans to win the Senate.
2. After the 2016 Elections - Well having a Republican President is no big deal.
3. After the 2018 Republican Economic Recovery - The Obama 2009 stimulus is working.

LOL

A republican economic recovery, well, that's something that has never been tried before or what we have ever seen.

John Smith
04-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Would you PLEASE list policies Obama has gotten through congress and explain how they hurt us?

While you're at it, list a bunch of vacancies Obama appointees filled by getting confirmed by the senate.

Rum_Pirate
04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Many Republican politician articulated exactly that position. Everything from blocking appointments to idiotic investigations to crippling the gov't. Why do you align yourself with Republican talking points as opposed to conservative ones?

Why should I align myself any of them?

Rum_Pirate
04-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Would you PLEASE list policies Obama has gotten through congress and explain how they hurt us?

While you're at it, list a bunch of vacancies Obama appointees filled by getting confirmed by the senate.

Respectfully suggest that you do your own research and post your findings. |:)

PS A Forumite on this very forum recently offered to Google and research on my behalf. Perhaps if you are busy you could use his services.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
No less funny that seeing someone working overtime, collecting highly selective references, to disparage the guy.

Gad, Norman, talk about selective references!!! You take the cake

Tom Montgomery
04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

George Jung
08-23-2014, 06:24 PM
It's pathetic so many feel blocking anything this President has tried to do is in anyway a smart/ethical/moral/intelligent thing to do. Voting out such parasites would seem the smart thing to do - but smart seems in short supply, these days. Try talking issues with a 'conservative' sometime - without affiliating with either party. The disconnect is incredible, and depressing.

coelacanth2
08-23-2014, 06:29 PM
A republican economic recovery, well, that's something that has never been tried before or what we have ever seen.

Hmmm - early 80's bring back any memories?

TomF
08-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Hmmm - early 80's bring back any memories?I remember mortgage rates spiking over 20%, here in Canada. Didn't you guys have a minor S&L thing happen too? I agree ccmanuals, it's a great example of a Republican-led economic recovery. Dwarfs the impact of Clinton's economy in the 90s, eh?

David G
08-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Good point. Reagan, early on, oversaw a sharp bit of recovery from the Carter doldrums during that period. Of course, by the end of his time in office, he'd oversawn the just as sharp 1990 recession, wherein he gave back over half of the gains he'd made. Then Bush I was there when the bounceback began... and started to fade. He was booted after 1 term, and Clinton oversaw a dramatic upturn. Of course, Clinton then got to witness the 2000 recession at the end of his time. Then Bush II took us off a cliff.

The upshot is - A Republican being in office during an economic upturn is NOT unheard of.

Of course... overall... Democrats DO have a far better record of economic performance with one of theirs in the White House. Since I subscribe to the theory that presidents get both too much blame and too much credit for economic performance... I'll leave it to you to decide what it all means.

Here's a chart using the IMF's composite EPI numbers --

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-imf-economic-performance-index-2013-10

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/526821716bb3f7bb2445272a-1200-858/screen%20shot%202013-10-23%20at%203.17.06%20pm.png

CWSmith
08-23-2014, 07:08 PM
I remember mortgage rates spiking over 20%, here in Canada. Didn't you guys have a minor S&L thing happen too? I agree ccmanuals, it's a great example of a Republican-led economic recovery. Dwarfs the impact of Clinton's economy in the 90s, eh?

TomF, in all seriousness, when was the last time you had a serious, thoughtful discussion with the conservatives that haunt the bilge? If you make a list of all the diversions and cheats, the misdirections and distractions that people not sincere in their debate will use, not to mention the name-calling and insults, you will find them all here. You can't have an adult conversation with these people. They refuse! I see no reason to try.

ljb5
08-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Reagan tripled the debt and raised the debt limit 17 times.

The unemployment rate spiked to 10.8% in the second year of Reagan's presidency, which is higher than any point during Obama's presidency.

John Smith
08-23-2014, 07:16 PM
I remember the 80's well. You cannot have it both ways: You cannot say huge debt and deficits are bad things and that the 80's were good. Reagan spend large amounts of borrowed money every year and created the illusion of prosperity by passing the debt on to future generations.

Back in the 80's we were told "deficits don't matter". When did they start to matter?

I'd also like to point out that most of today's Republicans in congress have been in congress for a while. Today they complain about our debt, but they voted for every single piece of legislation that drove it up. What am I to call them, other than hypocrites?

S.V. Airlie
08-23-2014, 10:18 PM
No less funny that seeing someone working overtime, collecting highly selective references, to disparage the guy.Isn't this what you do as well Norman?

Glen Longino
08-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Isn't this what you do as well Norman?

fart...how silly! Ha!:)

S.V. Airlie
08-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Truth Hurts Don't it? That's what I figured!

Glen Longino
08-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Truth Hurts Don't it? That's what I figured!

Truth?
You would not recognize truth if three blind ferrets crawled up your leg carrying a sign that said "TRUTH" and slammed it upside your stuff!;)

Tom Hunter
08-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Reagan did a lot of good, from social security reform to tax reform, to this statement: "My idea of American policy toward the Soviet Union is simple, and some would say simplistic," he said. "It is this: We win and they lose. What do you think of that?"

Lots of folks on this forum would like to ignore 300 million free people in eastern Europe as an accomplishment, I have some trouble with that, since I would not have a daughter if it were not for the end of the Soviet Union.

The unemployment spike that ljb5 mentions was likely unavoidable since we needed to stop the very high rate of inflation, the boom that followed is something we can only wish for with today’s president, or, in fairness, 1992’s president.

For the naysayers on the forum, can you imagine Obama supporting a tax reform that causes General Electric to pay a rate of 32%? Reagan supported an won a reform that did just that, according to the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It’s true that current Republican’s would not support that kind of reform, but current Democrats won’t support it either.

ljb5
08-25-2014, 10:06 PM
The unemployment spike that ljb5 mentions was likely unavoidable since we needed to stop the very high rate of inflation...

On a thread about excuses, you provide an excuse. Yay!

Reagan's unemployment doesn't really count because he came into office in a bad economy. And yet, somehow, the same logic doesn't apply to Obama because he came into office during an awesome economy??

No, wait... that's not right....

Keith Wilson
08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Lots of folks on this forum would like to ignore 300 million free people in eastern Europe as an accomplishment, Giving Ronald Reagan credit for the collapse of the Soviet Union is common enough on the US right, but almost completely unjustified. It wasn't mostly about anything the US did or didn't do. Another example of the Green Lantern Theory.

PeterSibley
08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Reagan did a lot of good, from social security reform to tax reform, to this statement: "My idea of American policy toward the Soviet Union is simple, and some would say simplistic," he said. "It is this: We win and they lose. What do you think of that?"

Lots of folks on this forum would like to ignore 300 million free people in eastern Europe as an accomplishment, I have some trouble with that, since I would not have a daughter if it were not for the end of the Soviet Union.

The unemployment spike that ljb5 mentions was likely unavoidable since we needed to stop the very high rate of inflation, the boom that followed is something we can only wish for with today’s president, or, in fairness, 1992’s president.

For the naysayers on the forum, can you imagine Obama supporting a tax reform that causes General Electric to pay a rate of 32%? Reagan supported an won a reform that did just that, according to the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It’s true that current Republican’s would not support that kind of reform, but current Democrats won’t support it either.

There were those outside the USA who would happily have sent the USA and the USSR into space and left them there. The threat of nuclear war over differing economic systems ? Insanity .

bobbys
08-25-2014, 10:39 PM
I cant imagine anyone collecting highly selective references to disparage a political figure here in the bilge.

That would be tantamount to hypocrisy..

the heck you say!.

I replace h$&& with heck as I have a lot of button pushers here.

bobbys
08-25-2014, 10:41 PM
There were those outside the USA who would happily have sent the USA and the USSR into space and left them there. The threat of nuclear war over differing economic systems ? Insanity ..

Do not fret our liberals want the same economic system as the USSR.

Tom Hunter
08-25-2014, 10:58 PM
@Kieth attitude and intent matter, and inspire, I was marching for
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStOqBFqc02csglTOiDWbwlaBpyY2AiX v-YAEWXGNi_hiVfEp1IV9i4yhA as a teenager back in the early 80s, and I can assure you that having the President and the Pope on their side made a lot of people braver. At the time Reagan said "they lose" all the serious people (Paul Krugman's phrase) were saying they would last for ever. One of Reagan's great strengths was his willingness to question the conventional wisdom, and push for solutions to problems that many people thought unsolvable.

As for unemployment, it went up, and then it went down. I absolutely think we would be better off if Obama would take on corporate tax breaks the way Reagan did.

Obama learned a lot from Reagan's style of speech making, but has been less able to turn the rhetoric into substance. Some of that is the absolutely crazy resistance from the Republicans, but some of it is also Obama himself. If Reagan rose from the dead a lot of Republicans would fight him tooth and nail, but he'd beat them. Obama lacks a similar ability, he talks a good game, but Reagan, Clinton, LBJ, Bush 1 and even Nixon were all more able to accomplish positive (and negative) changes.

bobbys
08-25-2014, 11:18 PM
On a thread about excuses, you provide an excuse. Yay!

Reagan's unemployment doesn't really count because he came into office in a bad economy. And yet, somehow, the same logic doesn't apply to Obama because he came into office during an awesome economy??

No, wait... that's not right.....

There is a TIME cover with Obama and Reagan together with the line, What Obama learned from Reagan with a red heart

There is no Time cover with Obama and Carter with love and learning..

Even Time knows better.

genglandoh
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM

LOL

Number 1 has already come true.

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
It is so funny to see how some on this forum are bending backwards to find excuses for Obama’s failures.

Just look at some of the recent threads.
1. Can Presidents do Big Things Anymore?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176025-Can-Presidents-do-Big-Things-Anymore
2. Will strong economic growth hurt us?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176175-Will-strong-economic-growth-hurt-us
3. There has also been many posts about Obamas foreign policy that basically using the excuse of who cares about that unimportant country.

LOLRepublicans!

David W Pratt
01-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Despite our Prez's crowing over his deficit reduction, the national debt has approximately doubled on his watch