PDA

View Full Version : Portable Workbench

Norm Harris
02-21-2001, 06:39 PM
Black & Decker used to make a portable workbench called "WorkMate Jr." IT was was similar to the models that have integral legs but was made to be clamped to a table or bench. The top was smaller than the current models, but had all of the same features. Because of its small size and ease of stowage, it would make a great addition to the tool locker on Pinocchio; if I could find one.

Since B&D no longer makes the item I would like to find a used one. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.

Norm Harris
Black & Decker used to make a portable workbench called "WorkMate Jr." IT was was similar to the models that have integral legs but was made to be clamped to a table or bench. The top was smaller than the current models, but had all of the same features. Because of its small size and ease of stowage, it would make a great addition to the tool locker on Pinocchio; if I could find one.

Since B&D no longer makes the item I would like to find a used one. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.

Norm Harris

Jamie Hascall
02-22-2001, 12:16 AM
I know the too you're looking for and will keep an eye out for one. For that matter I think I'll look for two as it would be a wonderful addition to Victoria's kit too.

That leads me to the question of what your boat Pinnochio is. I looked at a boat of that name here in Seattle that was a 28-30' Rhodes sloop. It spent some time in Port Townsend and after that I lost touch with it. Just wondered if she voyaged down your way.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
I know the too you're looking for and will keep an eye out for one. For that matter I think I'll look for two as it would be a wonderful addition to Victoria's kit too.

That leads me to the question of what your boat Pinnochio is. I looked at a boat of that name here in Seattle that was a 28-30' Rhodes sloop. It spent some time in Port Townsend and after that I lost touch with it. Just wondered if she voyaged down your way.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Jamie

Charlie J
02-22-2001, 09:14 AM
I have one of those - called a "Benchmate" I've used it to do some of the most amazing things with it for it's size. Wouldn't part with it for anything. Also have a very small one called a "Jr". have it mounted on a desk lamp base(heavy) so it works free standing. For light carving it works well. Found it in a garage sale.

Good luck in your search- I'll watch for you too

Charlie

Charlie J
I have one of those - called a "Benchmate" I've used it to do some of the most amazing things with it for it's size. Wouldn't part with it for anything. Also have a very small one called a "Jr". have it mounted on a desk lamp base(heavy) so it works free standing. For light carving it works well. Found it in a garage sale.

Charlie

Charlie J

Charlie

Norm Harris
02-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Pinocchio is a 30' LOD cutter of uncertain lineage. In fact when I take a decent picture of her I'm going to post it and see if anyone recognizes her. She was built in the mid 70's, is full keeled, built of Plywood overlayed with fibreglas.

She has a 6' bowsprit, hence the name. She also has an aft cabin. I think that she may be an Atkin design except that I've never seen plans for a boat this size with an aft cabin.

Norm Harris
Pinocchio is a 30' LOD cutter of uncertain lineage. In fact when I take a decent picture of her I'm going to post it and see if anyone recognizes her. She was built in the mid 70's, is full keeled, built of Plywood overlayed with fibreglas.

She has a 6' bowsprit, hence the name. She also has an aft cabin. I think that she may be an Atkin design except that I've never seen plans for a boat this size with an aft cabin.

Norm Harris

Jamie Hascall
02-22-2001, 01:00 PM
Norm,

She sounds like a nice boat, but definitely not the one I was thinking of. The Pinnochio I had looked at was a plank on frame Rhodes design that was built in Tacoma and spent most of it's life there. It was a well known boat that participated in lots of the fun racing there. It too had a bowsprit, with a rubber mermaid on as a figurehead and I guess a somewhat shocking salmon colored paint job. The old gent that raced her would always bake up an apple pie during the race and folks would smell the aroma as they passed downwind. I loved the tales, but she felt a little too small for living aboard so I passed on buying her.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
Norm,

She sounds like a nice boat, but definitely not the one I was thinking of. The Pinnochio I had looked at was a plank on frame Rhodes design that was built in Tacoma and spent most of it's life there. It was a well known boat that participated in lots of the fun racing there. It too had a bowsprit, with a rubber mermaid on as a figurehead and I guess a somewhat shocking salmon colored paint job. The old gent that raced her would always bake up an apple pie during the race and folks would smell the aroma as they passed downwind. I loved the tales, but she felt a little too small for living aboard so I passed on buying her.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
Norm,

Jamie

htom
02-22-2001, 04:07 PM
Norm, you might want to look in the yellow pages and see if you have a Black & Decker repair / outlet / service shop nearby; they sometimes still have these in stock (and sometimes even discounted.)

htom
Norm, you might want to look in the yellow pages and see if you have a Black & Decker repair / outlet / service shop nearby; they sometimes still have these in stock (and sometimes even discounted.)

htom

Eb
02-22-2001, 07:32 PM
Norm,

I've been looking for one similar to what you want. I check once a week or so with the various online auctions like yahoo and ebay, search under workmate, benchmate, and portable bench etc.

Here is one on ebay that is not quite what I want but might suit you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1216494940

Eb

Eb
Norm,

I've been looking for one similar to what you want. I check once a week or so with the various online auctions like yahoo and ebay, search under workmate, benchmate, and portable bench etc.

Eb

Eb
Norm,

Eb

Norm Harris
02-28-2001, 12:53 AM
Thank you all for your help, especially Eb who pointed to Ebay where I found the Workmate and was the successful bidder.

Norm

Norm Harris
Thank you all for your help, especially Eb who pointed to Ebay where I found the Workmate and was the successful bidder.

Norm

Norm Harris

Norm