• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickW
    Bournemouth, Dorset UK
    • May 2009

A John Welsford Faering

Now this sounds interesting!

SEI, pronounced either "SAY"  or "SHAEE" depending on where you are or what language you were born to, are a species of whale.  Small, fast ...

Nick
  • James McMullen
    老板
    • Apr 2007

Re: A John Welsford Faering

Yes, it most certainly does!

Comment

• htom
      Member #919
      • Dec 1999

This is going to be great.
      Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• Howard Rice
        • Dec 2003

Having been privy to an early look at the concept and lines it will be a neat boat.

Comment

• john welsford
          • Sep 2002

I've just posted a pic of the plans presentation sheet, and a couple of construction photos with some notes.

Thoughts anyone?
          John Welsford, heading out to do a bit more on the project.
          An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• Ben Fuller
            • Jan 2000

Lines are similar in principle to my Tony Dias Harrier, which is a good bit longer. They work. Daggerboard cap could be a daggerboard case filler block or frame for better rowing. I find the toe strap down the centerline of the Harrier useful at times; double enders with shapes like this can be found planing.
            Ben Fuller
            Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
            "Bound fast is boatless man."

Comment

• James McMullen
              老板
              • Apr 2007

More of a sail and oar boat? Hooray! (Those are the best kind!)

Comment

• john welsford
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by James McMullen
                More of a sail and oar boat? Hooray! (Those are the best kind!)
                Note, no place to put an outboard motor!
                The estuary on which I live has fairly fast 10 ft tides, and I"ll have to work the currents and tidal flows to progress but thats a large part of the enjoyment.
                At my present rate of improvement I"ll be able to row for an hour by the time SEI is ready to go in the water, roll on the day!
                I've just made a huge pile of shavings shaping one side of the daggerboard. Thats about me done for the day but its satisfying progress.

John W

Comment

• john welsford
                  • Sep 2002

I'd planned on a "case filler stub" that would have the bottom edge flush with the boats bottom, and there will be a shock cord loop to control the daggerboard and the same thing will hold that in place.

The toe strap is a good thought, thanks.

John Welsford

Comment

• Jamesh
                    • Aug 2011

I haven't been privy to the plans, and I Know its going to be a neat boat. Good work John. The floating home must be proving its worth. James

Comment

• Ben Fuller
                      • Jan 2000

I tried to get away with 9'6" oars on the Harrier figuring on the 5 foot span between locks as being the same as on a shell. They were too short; the various oar length formulae don't figure on freeboard. Anyway, I went with 10 footers but with a blade cut down to the same area as a racing shell and set of 10 foot norwegian oars). Oar blades simply scaled up from regular 7-8 foot oars were much too large and heavy. Now we have a pleasant pull. I have built stretchers into the floor boards.

My shock cord daggerboard hold down is a loop that comes from the after lower corner of the db trunk. I also have a bit that lifts the toe strap, standard dinghy practice.
                      Ben Fuller
                      Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
                      "Bound fast is boatless man."

Comment

• john welsford
                        • Sep 2002

I've not been able to work much for a while, but things are much improved. Living on board with the workshop/boatshed only a few yards away is a great improver of morale as well. I've a lot to catch up on, Nautilus and Footloose being pretty much at the top of the list.
                        This one and "Scraps" are little projects to get myself moving again, and to have a little fun.

Well, a lot of fun really.

John Welsford

Originally posted by Jamesh
                        I haven't been privy to the plans, and I Know its going to be a neat boat. Good work John. The floating home must be proving its worth. James

Comment

• john welsford
                          • Sep 2002

I've my own set of formulae for calculating oar length, and will be using 9ft 6in oars on this. I can get away with that by bringing the oarlock pins inboard 50mm or so on blocks inside the slightly wider than usual inwale blocking. The extra width makes it easier on the butt when sitting out.
                          I will also be using workboat type blades, long and narrow, only about 90mm wide. That will enable me to row to windward without having to feather all the time, much easier on the wrists and forearms when rowing for hours at a time.
                          Like all of the boats that I build, there are a few experiments built into this project, expertise can only be gained by getting out and trying things.

John Welsford

Originally posted by Ben Fuller
                          I tried to get away with 9'6" oars on the Harrier figuring on the 5 foot span between locks as being the same as on a shell. They were too short; the various oar length formulae don't figure on freeboard. Anyway, I went with 10 footers but with a blade cut down to the same area as a racing shell and set of 10 foot norwegian oars). Oar blades simply scaled up from regular 7-8 foot oars were much too large and heavy. Now we have a pleasant pull. I have built stretchers into the floor boards.

My shock cord daggerboard hold down is a loop that comes from the after lower corner of the db trunk. I also have a bit that lifts the toe strap, standard dinghy practice.

Comment

• Rik van der Vaart
                            • Feb 2012

Very glad to see you in production mode again John. The design looks very stable. I can see the first one on the water with a tanbark sail already.
                            for more checkout https://pathfindervanessa.blogspot.com

Comment

• NickW
                              Bournemouth, Dorset UK
                              • May 2009

John has posted the following on his blog.

Nick

First, there have been several requests for the little double enders vital statistics.

Sail area is 7.1 sq m. Thats 76.5 sq ft.

Length is 4.45 m - 14ft 7in
                              Beam is 1.55m - 5ft 1in
                              Weight should be around 75 kg 165 lbs
                              Draft 175mm board up 7in
                              1.1m board down. 3ft 7in

I dont expect to have to build a proper boat trailer for this, I figure that I will be able to just lift the bow up onto the end board of a handyman trailer, pick the stern up and push the boat forward.
                              I'll put plastic imitation grass on the end board to make it slide, and will slot the board to take the skeg which will make it stay centered as I push it.
                              Managing it on the beach will be with a couple of inflatable sausage shaped fenders used as rollers.

Comment

Working...