PDA

View Full Version : Wild Speculation!

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 06:22 PM
There have been problems with banned members of the Forum returning by the use of a different e-mail address and screen name (sock puppets), which is a breach of the rules. There have also been rumours that members in good standing have adopted second identities (also sock puppets) in order to stir up trouble, express contrary views, etc. I'm not sure how the rules apply to this.

Here's my question: can a member in good standing delete a profile and then reincarnate with a different screen name, for instance from this. . .

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DiTOd4Y3B4w/UViAbu5xK7I/AAAAAAAAD80/dCVlMUm8lto/s720/camp.jpg

. . .to this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WazLwPhnlk0/U0DivXk-EFI/AAAAAAAAFUw/GftMdeI78Uc/s623/rayon.jpg

I'm not planning to do this. I just wonder how it might play?

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
see schooner ruse :D

seanz
04-10-2014, 06:30 PM
The relevant word is 'banned'. If you're banned, you are not allowed back under another user name. Not sure if there's a specific rule against 'sock puppets' for the the unbanned.

Of course, if a bilge sock puppet gets banned, should the other log-in be banned too?

So many questions.........

:)

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 06:30 PM
see schooner ruse :D

That one never sucked me in. My whiskers twitched every time I sniffed it.

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 06:34 PM
For instance, could a businessperson with multiple e-mail addresses deploy a squad of sock puppets to tag-team his enemies?

Wonder if there's a screenplay in it?

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 06:35 PM
The relevant word is 'banned'. If you're banned, you are not allowed back under another user name. in that case what's what's the worst that can happen?

LeeG
04-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Yr gonna have to lose weight and shave real close

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Yr gonna have to lose weight and shave real close

It would take more than that. :D

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Where there is a will there is a way. Something like a secure website! Someone gets around it if he wants to.

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Most of 'em aren't hard to pick. They don't change much.

I've got two log-ins... one of which is inactive.

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Most of 'em aren't hard to pick. They don't change much.

I've got two log-ins... one of which is inactive.i appreciated the gatenby one, it was less trollish with a higher quality versus quantity of content ratio

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM
i appreciated the gatenby one, it was less trollish with a higher quality versus quantity of content ratio

Hang on... some consistency please. Last time it was flaming, not trolling.

... and what's wrong with the quality these days?

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Last%20Vietnam/Halong_zpsfa56193f.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Last%20Vietnam/Halong_zpsfa56193f.jpg.html)

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 07:51 PM
you know photoshop has a tool that will correct that distortion in that photo quickly and easily for you; if you enter in your lens data it will even do it for you automatically from now on. . .

SMARTINSEN
04-10-2014, 07:52 PM
You look very sexy with the purple tights!!!

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 07:53 PM
you know photoshop has a tool that will correct that distortion in that photo quickly and easily for you; if you enter in your lens data it will even do it for you automatically from now on. . .

Are you talking about the holes in my purple tights (real) or Ian's green hummocks?

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Don't make life too complicated. I've played with that occasionally. I'm not sure I know what lens that was shot with even.... I think I had some zoom on that went up to about 80mm in those days. I just picked up the nearest five zooms... and it wasn't any of them. It might be the one that, ahem, fell apart.

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Are you talking about the holes in my purple tights (real) or Ian's green hummocks?ian's avatar :D

Chip-skiff
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
ian's avatar :D

Looks like there's a definite explosive risk.

Tom Montgomery
04-10-2014, 08:03 PM
The relevant word is 'banned'. If you're banned, you are not allowed back under another user name. Not sure if there's a specific rule against 'sock puppets' for the the unbanned.

Of course, if a bilge sock puppet gets banned, should the other log-in be banned too?

So many questions.........
For fun I once created a sock puppet. It lasted about two weeks. Then Donn and Scot figured it out and my sock puppet got permanently banned. But I did not. :)

Donn decided this revealed an utter lack of character on my part and since refuses to engage me on this Forum. Thank goodness for small favors. ;)

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 08:11 PM
For fun I once created a sock puppet. It lasted about two weeks. Then Donn and Scot figured it out and my sock puppet got permanently banned. But I did not. :)

Donn decided this revealed an utter lack of character on my part and since refuses to engage me on this Forum. Thank goodness for small favors. ;)

Well yeah... he seemed to pick up a fascination for my nose there a while back. :d Before this avatar.

He hasn't mentioned it lately.

Speaking of avatars.... someone complained about my prior one... the one of me engaged in a religious activity... and it was removed by the powers that be (not whinging.... just mentioning).

Here it is....

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Last%20Vietnam/a3_zps0e1322c8.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Last%20Vietnam/a3_zps0e1322c8.jpg.html)

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 08:19 PM
... as a matter of interest.... I was just looking at the lens correction tool, Paul... Doesn't list the D100 anymore (I took those photos almost 4 years ago). Couldn't recognise my shorter lens in the list either. IIRC it was pre-autofocus but I may be wrong. The data attached to the NEF file (shot RAW) gives lens focal lengths from 21mm to 400mm on that day's shooting. I know the second lens... my 80-400 Nikkor. Wild speculation on my part... but since the focal length on the two shots in that panorama was 80mm.... maybe that one.

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
just a few points of interest, your d7000 will auto correct that in the camera if you wish; and you can manually enter that lens info into photoshop; and lastly (for now) you can also manually fix that distortion in photoshop

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 08:51 PM
just a few points of interest, your d7000 will auto correct that in the camera if you wish; and you can manually enter that lens info into photoshop; and lastly (for now) you can also manually fix that distortion in photoshop

I take it we are back to the avatar?

It's all been done in PS.... -100% pinching.

Paul Pless
04-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I take it we are back to the avatar?no, i was talking about that panamaraic or wide angle pi that you posted

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 09:50 PM
no, i was talking about that panamaraic or wide angle pi that you posted

I've just gone back and had another look. PS is stitching them wrong.... there's a third image in the series, I'll see if I can do it in a hurry

The Bigfella
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I've used the geometric distortion tool... set the lens (but not the camera)... and the distortion on that right hand image is even worst. It's not liking it

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Last%20Vietnam/halong2_zps3e8741ea.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Last%20Vietnam/halong2_zps3e8741ea.jpg.html)

I really can't devote any time to it though.... its either this or my report and my tax return :d

PeterSibley
04-10-2014, 10:23 PM

A good reason for sock puppetry ... don't you think? yes , agreed , thanks !