Clear All
  • Arizona Bay
    Molecules of Freedom
    • Feb 2011

Learnin' in South Carolina...

WTF?

South Carolina Lawmaker Accuses State University Of 'Recruiting' Lesbians

SUBMITTED BY Miranda Blue on Monday, 4/7/2014 12:54 pm

Last month, the South Carolina House voted to cut $70,000 from the budgets of two state universities to punish them for assigning books about LGBT people to students. Now, a state senator is accusing one of the schools of gay “recruitment” for hosting a one-woman comedy show called “How To Be A Lesbian In 10 Days Or Less," and has caused the show to be canceled.
    “That’s not an explanation of ‘I was born this way,’” Sen. Mike Fair told Greenville’s WYFF of the planned show at University of South Carolina-Upstate. “That’s recruiting.”
    Fair added that the assigned reading at USC-Upstate and the College of Charleston was “just not normal” and amounted to the “glorification of same-sex culture.”
    In response, USC-Upstate noted that the show and its title are meant to be “satirical in nature,” but canceled the performance, saying that it had “become a distraction.”
    Fair was one of a handful of state legislators who voted against every incumbent USC trustee last week in protest. Joining him was Sen. Lee Bright, who is running in the GOP primary for U.S. Senate, who lamented, “USC-Upstate has become a place of indoctrination not free inquiry.”

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten....MRRgpFvT.dpuf
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"(T)he Republican Party no longer recognizes the legitimacy of any opposition."
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

Re: Learnin' in South Carolina...

and you guys want gun laws to be written on the local level
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Arizona Bay
      Molecules of Freedom
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
      and you guys want gun laws to be written on the local level
      Not I.
      Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"(T)he Republican Party no longer recognizes the legitimacy of any opposition."

Comment

• Michael D. Storey
        • Nov 2009

That's why gay folk belong in the military. No draft, right? We rely on recruiting. What is the age-old fear of gay folk? They will recruit our young! Well, who really needs recruiters? Why, the military, of course. I rest my case. Pass the Bosco.

Comment

• Flying Orca
          Ruth, feck, and gorm
          • Jan 2007

If recruiting really worked, odds are it would be turning gays straight. Doesn't seem to...

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• CWSmith
            New Hampshire
            • Nov 2008

Odd. Liberals are afraid of guns and conservatives are afraid of lesbians. No one I know has been killed by a loaded lesbian yet. It's funny the things we worry about. Also, and no offense intended to anyone, I have gay friends, but none of them have every convinced me to say "Yes, that sounds like a good idea!"
            "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Flying Orca
              Ruth, feck, and gorm
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by CWSmith
              I have gay friends, but none of them have every convinced me to say "Yes, that sounds like a good idea!"
              Well, now, let's not be throwing out the lesbians with the bathwater, here...

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Arizona Bay
                [” Sen. Mike Fair of the planned show at University of South Carolina-Upstate. “That’s recruiting.”Fair was one of a handful of state legislators who voted against every incumbent USC trustee last week in protest. Joining him was Sen. Lee Bright, who is running in the GOP primary for U.S. Senate, who lamented, “USC-Upstate has become a place of indoctrination not free inquiry.”
                Bumpkins with a bumpkin constituency.

Or perhaps there's more. The candidates opposing the incumbents very likely paid for the chance to do so, by giving promises if not money.
                Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• CWSmith
                  New Hampshire
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Flying Orca
                  Well, now, let's not be throwing out the lesbians with the bathwater, here...
                  "...not that there's anything wrong with it." (Seinfeld)
                  "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...