PDA

View Full Version : The Incredible Human Journey

PeterSibley
04-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Has this series been shown in the US ? It has been on public free to air TV here and I strongly recommend it . 5 parts and all very well presented .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIN5IynbNM&list=PLVD3WSHihvUrNch7tlUA_Rq-I99zL66Dp

Peerie Maa
04-03-2014, 06:10 AM
We watched it when it was first aired on the BEEB. I agree - excelent viewing.

bogdog
04-03-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm waiting for the ornithology version...

stevebaby
04-03-2014, 06:48 AM
I'll watch anything with Professor Alice in it.

Tracey
04-03-2014, 07:22 AM
THANKYOU!!! Never heard of this before- I thought maybe it was another David Attenborough bit of brilliance. Really looking forward to getting home tonight to share with my daughter.

obscured by clouds
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I'll watch anything with Professor Alice in it.

ah, the delectable Dr Jones.

Old Dryfoot
04-03-2014, 10:04 AM
That will go on my must watch list.

Thank you Peter.

DMillet
04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Finally, a good use for my chromecast.

PeterSibley
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Dr Alice is delightful but the series is worthwhile even without her!

stevebaby
04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
I have been watching and enjoying the programme. Professor Alice's enthusiasm for her subject is really quite infectious, just like the great Attenborough and Professor Brian Cox.
The Brits do this kind of thing so much better than anybody else hey?

stevebaby
04-03-2014, 06:35 PM
ah, the delectable Dr Jones.Is that Professor Roberts' married name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Roberts
I just googled "Professor Alice Jones"...I'll watch anything she's in too. :D

PeterSibley
04-04-2014, 02:13 AM
I have been watching and enjoying the programme. Professor Alice's enthusiasm for her subject is really quite infectious, just like the great Attenborough and Professor Brian Cox.
The Brits do this kind of thing so much better than anybody else hey?

They do !

obscured by clouds
04-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Is that Professor Roberts' married name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Roberts
I just googled "Professor Alice Jones"...I'll watch anything she's in too. :D

oops

MiddleAgesMan
04-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Well, I now have an agenda for the day--watch this series! Thanks, Peter. :)

I have been reading and re-reading Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Sixth Extinction" which touches on this very topic. I was surprised to learn that man had his way with nature in Australia long before we reached Europe and North America. This conclusion is supported by the fact that pre-historic mega-fauna became extinct in Oz first. Close by in history's Time Line plant life in Oz changed from a beneficial moderate climate scenario to desert dry. Some scientists argued the climate change came first, and then the mega-fauna died off but recent data proves the sequence was reversed. The small hunter-gatherers of Oz wiped out the large and slow-to-procreate "dinosaurs" and THEN, the predominate plant life changed.

Oddly enough, one of the very last places to feel the effects of Man was New Zealand. In spite of its proximity to Oz the moa were not killed off there until Man had had his way throughout Europe, Asia, and the Americas.

Anyway, if you find this series from BBC interesting you will certainly enjoy Ms. Kolbert's latest book.