PDA

View Full Version : Air Force debacle

CWSmith
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/commanders-fired-nuke-missile-cheating-scandal-182538923--politics.html

It was reported on the news tonight that 8 AF officers were fired and a 9th resigned when it was revealed that there was a massive cheating ring taking place under their noses. The cheaters, all junior officers, were reprimanded. So here is my question: Why do you fire the people who failed to catch the cheaters, but the cheaters keep their jobs?

Peerie Maa
03-27-2014, 06:21 PM
It is a Total Quality Management principle following from Deeming's thinking. The problem rarely lies with the minions, but with the system that they work in. If the system that these people work in is broken to the extent that they think it OK and can get away with cheating, fix the system by reprogramme the managers who created the climate that allowed it to happen.
I doubt whether the junior perpetrators got away scot free.

Gerarddm
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
I sure hope the nuke teams are carefully screened for dogma. I would hate to think of any political or religious fanatics within arm's reach of a Minuteman launch key.

Chip-skiff
03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I sure hope the nuke teams are carefully screened for dogma. I would hate to think of any political or religious fanatics within arm's reach of a Minuteman launch key.

The Air Force Academy is a hotbed of evangelical "christian" activity and the host community, Colorado Springs, has long been the epicenter of wingnut groups in the West.

An observation: at the moment, members of the US military are in the news for rape and sexual abuse, stealing millions from contracts and accepting bribes, and cheating on proficiency tests.

Who said that military service builds character?

bogdog
03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
The Air Force Academy is also a hot bed for cheating. Only 40 cases so far....this month.

StevenBauer
03-27-2014, 07:35 PM
And they say the other two facilities are fine. No cheating going on there. Sound plausible?

Steven

Gerarddm
03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
The Air Force Academy is a hotbed of evangelical "christian" activity and the host community, Colorado Springs, has long been the epicenter of wingnut groups in the West.

One of my concerns.

CWSmith
03-27-2014, 09:59 PM
It is a Total Quality Management principle following from Deeming's thinking. The problem rarely lies with the minions, but with the system that they work in. If the system that these people work in is broken to the extent that they think it OK and can get away with cheating, fix the system by reprogramme the managers who created the climate that allowed it to happen.
I doubt whether the junior perpetrators got away scot free.

They received a reprimand and I hope that it follow them the rest of their lives. Somehow, I doubt that it will.

I know what you are saying about management systems over personal responsibility, but I don't think that it's right. It does not work. There are institutions I won't name that think if the process is right and the paperwork matches, you can hire any fool to oversee it. Repeatedly, they test that theory and fail. "If all your friends jump off a bridge, would you...?" It still makes sense today - personal responsibility. The junior officers should go.