PDA

View Full Version : Lignum vitae

Mike Field
03-18-2001, 05:54 AM
Can anyone tell me, please, whether this timber is still available anywhere?

A UK client has asked for it for deadeyes, and it's not available here in Oz at all, as far as I can make out.

Mike Field

A UK client has asked for it for deadeyes, and it's not available here in Oz at all, as far as I can make out.

Mike Field

abe
03-18-2001, 07:32 AM
Mike, we have a local mill that lists Lignum vitae for sale by the pound:

http://www.goosebaylumber.com/SiteMap.htm

I am planning another visit to the mill soon and will check it out. I think they have e-mail capability and you might ask who their supplier is.

[This message has been edited by abe (edited 03-18-2001).]

abe

I am planning another visit to the mill soon and will check it out. I think they have e-mail capability and you might ask who their supplier is.

abe

John B
03-18-2001, 03:32 PM
The best source that I have found is lawn bowls.
Sometimes some standover tactics are needed to get them off the little old ladies who have em though. They bred them tough back then you know.
Personally, I just look in the for sale columns. My neighbour gave me some recently actually.

John B
Sometimes some standover tactics are needed to get them off the little old ladies who have em though. They bred them tough back then you know.
Personally, I just look in the for sale columns. My neighbour gave me some recently actually.

John B

Moray MacPhail
03-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Mike, it depends how kind you are feeling, but TS Rigging in Maldon Essex UK seem to be able to get hold of it. Their telephone number is +44 1621 857567.

Moray MacPhail
Mike, it depends how kind you are feeling, but TS Rigging in Maldon Essex UK seem to be able to get hold of it. Their telephone number is +44 1621 857567.

Moray MacPhail

Mike Field
03-19-2001, 06:54 PM
Eureka! I think. I've found a supplier right here in Melbourne who apparently has a 5"-6" log of it.

Many thanks to all you good people for your sugestions and offers of help -- very much appreciated.

Mike Field
Eureka! I think. I've found a supplier right here in Melbourne who apparently has a 5"-6" log of it.

Many thanks to all you good people for your sugestions and offers of help -- very much appreciated.

Mike Field

Bob Cleek
03-20-2001, 12:43 AM
If memory serves, Davey and Co., London sells lignam vitae deadeyes already made up in their catalog. I'd say that's the way to go, since the stuff is wicked hard to work and really has to be machined on metal working lathes from what I hear.

[This message has been edited by Bob Cleek (edited 03-20-2001).]

Bob Cleek
If memory serves, Davey and Co., London sells lignam vitae deadeyes already made up in their catalog. I'd say that's the way to go, since the stuff is wicked hard to work and really has to be machined on metal working lathes from what I hear.

Bob Cleek

dadadata
03-22-2001, 08:32 PM
<<
wicked hard to work and really has to be machined on metal working lathes from what I hear.
>>

Nah. But it's hard work for two guys with special jigs n things. See the book called "How Deadeyes Were Made in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia" as put out by someone like Mystic Seaport.

dadadata
<<
wicked hard to work and really has to be machined on metal working lathes from what I hear.
>>

Nah. But it's hard work for two guys with special jigs n things. See the book called "How Deadeyes Were Made in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia" as put out by someone like Mystic Seaport.

dadadata
<<
>>

John B
03-22-2001, 10:01 PM
You thought I was joking about the lawn bowls didn't you.
Apparently a few years ago bowls were all resized or upgraded to a more modern material hence..... mouldering away in numerous little old ladies garages are piles of lignum vitae just waiting for people like you.

John B
Apparently a few years ago bowls were all resized or upgraded to a more modern material hence..... mouldering away in numerous little old ladies garages are piles of lignum vitae just waiting for people like you.

John B

Mike Field
03-23-2001, 05:51 AM
Tony -- thanks for the warning. I think I insulted him when I put it to my local chap, though -- he assured me that he only deals in the genuine article. (Of course, what you say simply confirms my belief about the general morality of the average Sydneysider.)

Bob -- thanks for that tip. I discovered that while they're actually not stock items at Davey's, they will make to order.

Craig -- thanks for the tip about the book. I'll keep an eye open for it.

John -- I'm sure you're right, but I have an idea all Aussie bowls have been plastic for eons. However, I'll ask a few questions and maybe Captain Starlight a few grannies in due course.

Again, many thanks to everyone for your help. You've confirmed what I've said elsewhere about the WoodwenBoat Forum being about twice as good as its nearest rival.

Mike Field
Tony -- thanks for the warning. I think I insulted him when I put it to my local chap, though -- he assured me that he only deals in the genuine article. (Of course, what you say simply confirms my belief about the general morality of the average Sydneysider.)

Bob -- thanks for that tip. I discovered that while they're actually not stock items at Davey's, they will make to order.

John -- I'm sure you're right, but I have an idea all Aussie bowls have been plastic for eons. However, I'll ask a few questions and maybe Captain Starlight a few grannies in due course.

Again, many thanks to everyone for your help. You've confirmed what I've said elsewhere about the WoodwenBoat Forum being about twice as good as its nearest rival.

Mike Field

Ross Faneuf
03-23-2001, 06:31 PM
Captain Starlight??? I think I can guess what that means, but would like an explication of such a colorful term http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ross Faneuf
Captain Starlight??? I think I can guess what that means, but would like an explication of such a colorful term http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ross Faneuf

Ron Williamson
03-24-2001, 06:34 AM
Captain Starlight represents the Midnight Autoparts Co. and always gets a five finger discount.LOL
Have fun
R

Ron Williamson
Captain Starlight represents the Midnight Autoparts Co. and always gets a five finger discount.LOL
Have fun
R

Ron Williamson
Have fun
R

Mike Field
03-24-2001, 06:20 PM
Highwayman.

Mike Field
Highwayman.

Mike Field
Highwayman.

Mike Field
03-26-2001, 07:45 PM
Touché, Tony.
L(ittle) O(ld) L(adies) -- Mike

Mike Field
Touché, Tony.

Mike Field
Touché, Tony.

John B
03-26-2001, 10:19 PM
As soon as Mike has restored that hogged back boat down the road from him ,he's going to persuade some L.O.Ladies to give him their bowling balls.LOL

John B
As soon as Mike has restored that hogged back boat down the road from him ,he's going to persuade some L.O.Ladies to give him their bowling balls.LOL

John B

John B
03-26-2001, 11:14 PM
Anyone would think we had been drinking lignum vitae coloured rum like I did on saturday. My crew filled me in and chucked me in . Fortunately I float, unlike Mikes New boat. Have ya picked it up yet boy?

John B
Anyone would think we had been drinking lignum vitae coloured rum like I did on saturday. My crew filled me in and chucked me in . Fortunately I float, unlike Mikes New boat. Have ya picked it up yet boy?

John B