PDA

View Full Version : BROTM for April... Post your nominations here...

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 03:59 AM
It's about time to pass on the coveted mantle of BROTM.

We have three Rats (from the near past) who deserve to be nominated.

Seanz
Tracey
Duncan

Nominations close in two days.

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Oops. Thank you Peerie Maa for telling me the thread was locked. Sorry. I posted it whilst very tired at one am.

It's open now.

Bob Adams
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Oops. Thank you Peerie Maa for telling me the thread was locked. Sorry. I posted it whilst very tired at one am.

It's open now.

That's what you get from spending all that time in the Pub cooking! (Which I didn't get none of BTW)

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
That's what you get from spending all that time in the Pub cooking! (Which I didn't get none of BTW)

You didn't get any! Eeek. We better remedy that.

Syed
03-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Full Tilt

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Seanz
Tracey
Duncan
Full Tilt

Keith Wilson
03-25-2014, 11:05 AM
TomF - one of the bilge's very best, who really deserves a term.

leikec
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Absolutely.

Jeff C

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Seanz
Tracey
Duncan
Full Tilt
Tom F

Steve McMahon
03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
I will ad my vote for TomF.
I thought Full Tilt was on a lifetime ban - has this changed?

Hwyl
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Absolutely.

Jeff C

Not to mention leikec.

Bob Adams
03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I thought Full Tilt was on a lifetime ban - has this changed?

Not that I am aware of, but he's come back so many times, who knows?

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Please only nominate Rats that are not currently banned, thanks.

So we have four candidates so far.

Seanz
Tracey
Duncan
Tom F

leikec
03-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Not to mention leikec.

If nominated I will not run--if elected I will not serve. :D

Jeff C

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Seanz
Tracey
Duncan
Tom F
Leikec

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
If nominated I will not run--if elected I will not serve. :D

Jeff C

Sorry Jeff, you're on the list. :) So if elected, I hope you'll serve. Huh?

leikec
03-25-2014, 12:05 PM
I can see that post #14 made a big impression on you.... :D

Would it help if I mentioned that I'm anti-puppy? I hate little kids. I cheered when grandma got run over by a reindeer. My wife worked the phrase "you dumb bastid" into her wedding vows....

Jeff C

Bob Adams
03-25-2014, 12:06 PM

Would it help if I mentioned that I'm anti-puppy? I hate little kids. I cheered when grandma got run over by a reindeer. My wife worked the phrase "you dumb bastid" into her wedding vows....

Jeff C

Sounds like a perfect BROTM to me.....

oznabrag
03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
I nominate Erasmus B. Dragon

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Jeff C

You're on the roll. Keep going, LOL.

Yeah, sounds like a perfect BROTM.

leikec
03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
You're on the roll. Keep going, LOL.

Yeah, sounds like a perfect BROTM.

i know enough swear words to get myself banned. I have not yet begun to fight.... :D

Jeff C

John of Phoenix
03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
i know enough swear words to get myself banned. It only takes one but if you decide to go down, go down in flames! . :)

Spin_Drift
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Please show a link to posts by "Erasmus B. Dragon".
Thanks.

Bob Adams
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM
i know enough swear words to get myself banned. I have not yet begun to fight.... :D

Jeff C

Um, it's my experiance that getting yourself some brig time will HELP you get elected!

TomF
03-25-2014, 01:03 PM
It only takes one but if you decide to go down, go down in flames! . :)And with that, I nominate JoP. :D

ccmanuals
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Um, it's my experiance that getting yourself some brig time will HELP you get elected!

kinda like street cred. :)

John of Phoenix
03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
And with that, I nominate JoP. :DThanks, I'm flattered but you're getting my vote.

Not many will remember that the long departed and sorely missed Leon M started this whole thing many years ago and fewer will remember who was the first nominee - a cantankerous old fella with the handle JohnT. As I recall, the process took flight with Cold Spring Joe and Memphis Mike fighting a pretty nasty battle where the South won by a hair and left some hard feelings for awhile. The process has been an interesting evolution.

Leon, (wherever you are, buddy) did you ever imagine this would be your legacy? :D

oznabrag
03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks, I'm flattered but you're getting my vote.

Not many will remember that the long departed and sorely missed Leon M started this whole thing many years ago and fewer will remember who was the first nominee - a cantankerous old fella with the handle JohnT. As I recall, the process took flight with Cold Spring Joe and Memphis Mike fighting a pretty nasty battle where the South won by a hair and left some hard feelings for awhile. The process has been an interesting evolution.

Leon, (wherever you are, buddy) did you ever imagine this would be your legacy? :D

John T, huh? Cantankerous, irascible, obstreperous, inhospitable, untoward, grouchy and ornery? THAT JohnT?

TomF
03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
John T, huh? Cantankerous, irascible, obstreperous, inhospitable, untoward, grouchy and ornery? THAT JohnT?Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books presumed that the "true name" of something described it's essence, it's reality.

It was another 'John T' back then, but the essence ... ? :D

Curtism
03-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Keith beat me to it (because someone locked the thread earlier :) ).

Absolutely. The guy who, by all rights should have easily mopped the floor with my sorry self under different circumstances, should have another run.

I'd also like to second John of Phoenix . . . and nominate the sitting Commissar of Heads on Pikes, David G.

Glen Longino
John T, huh? Cantankerous, irascible, obstreperous, inhospitable, untoward, grouchy and ornery? THAT JohnT?

You're too critical of yourself, amigo...leave that to the Troglodytes, ya danged Humanitarian!:)

Keith Wilson
Shouldn't it be J O'P?

John of Phoenix
03-25-2014, 03:07 PM
John T, huh? Cantankerous, irascible, obstreperous, inhospitable, untoward, grouchy and ornery? THAT JohnT?Yeah, I thought I was doing pretty well until you came along to show me how it's done. :D

TomF
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Shouldn't it be J O'P?Only if competing for the March BROTM.

oznabrag
03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
You're too critical of yourself, amigo...leave that to the Troglodytes, ya danged Humanitarian!:)

Critical?

Those are my GOOD qualities!

Tom Montgomery
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Please show a link to posts by "Erasmus B. Dragon".
Thanks.
Here you go: http://forum.woodenboat.com/search.php?searchid=4197247

His custom user title reads Banned... but I don't believe it. Scot Bell would need a Babel Fish* to determine if Erasmus said something that warranted banishment.

Erasmus B. Dragon is a joker and likely created that title himself.

* "The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix."

It is a universal translator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_translator) that neatly crosses the language divide between any species. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy points out that the Babel fish could not possibly have developed naturally, and therefore it both proves and disproves the existence of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God):

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing).

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

Arthur Dent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dent) commented only 'Eurgh!' when first inserting the fish into his ear. It enabled him to understand Vogon Poetry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon_Poetry) - not necessarily a good thing.

Glen Longino
03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Critical?

Those are my GOOD qualities!

:) Ha! I'll believe that when your good girl and her little girls throw you away!
Until then, your a goldanged Humanitarian in my book.

John of Phoenix
03-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Here you go: http://forum.woodenboat.com/search.php?searchid=4197247

His custom user title reads Banned... but I don't believe it. Scot Bell would need a Babel Fish* to determine if Erasmus said something that warranted banishment.

Erasmus B. Dragon is a joker and likely created that title himself.

* "The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix."

It is a universal translator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_translator) that neatly crosses the language divide between any species. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy points out that the Babel fish could not possibly have developed naturally, and therefore it both proves and disproves the existence of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God):

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing).

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

Arthur Dent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dent) commented only 'Eurgh!' when first inserting the fish into his ear. It enabled him to understand Vogon Poetry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon_Poetry) - not necessarily a good thing.

Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers would be impressed. Dazzled even.

ccmanuals
03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Either Tomf and JoP would be an excellent choice. Both are deserving candidates.

Tracey
03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Paul Pless. The quality and quantity of his thread count is outstanding.

Tracey
03-25-2014, 04:11 PM
and I second J of P !

SMARTINSEN
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Your ass must be draggin

Sock puppet

oznabrag
03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Well Ms. Spin,

Due to Tom's diligence you should be convinced that Mr. Dragon exists.

Tom Montgomery
03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
I am shocked... shocked... that sock puppets can be found in the Bilge! ;)

seanz
03-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Eye sic honed thart.

Rum_Pirate
03-25-2014, 09:20 PM
I nominate Cuyahoga Chuck (http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.php?7644-Cuyahoga-Chuck) on the grounds that nobody nominated him and I didn't want him to feel left out. BY:D

oh and Glen Longino as well since he was banned last time and couldn't fulfill the position :d

Spin_Drift
03-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Okay. Thank you gentlemen. We have our ten nominations for the BROTM for April

Seanz
Tracey
Duncan
Tom F
Leikec
John of Phoenix
David G
Paul Pless
Glen Longino
Cuyahoga-Chuck

I'm going to post a poll which will close in two days. Vote for your candidates there.

:)