PDA

View Full Version : Defiance article

Hwyl
03-21-2014, 11:51 PM
As most of you know, for a few years, I was the skipper of Defiance featured in the latest WB. It's a nice article by Bill. The oral history when I was aboard was that Aage Nielsen did rather more than "refine" the lines and she certainly was faster than other Petersen schooners.

I was surprised to read her sail area, I used thee main topsail most of the time and was rarely overpressed.

I have good memories of her, she was pretty much the same when I ran her as in the early pictures shown in the article. The aft cabin was changed, the bed extended to a double and the bathtub, which anecdotally was drawn to fit Rose Dolan, by either MP or Paul Luke ("now you just sit on this piece of butcher paper m'dear and I'll draw a line around you") was gone. Elecctronics were different of course.

I think I still remember most arrangements, so fire away with any questions and I'll try to answer.

rbgarr
03-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi G,

Did you ever meet and/or sail with Pete Culler? Opinions?

Hwyl
03-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Only second hand stories from Norris Hoyt, and a copy of a letter from Culler to Rose Dolan explaining how they were over budget and behind schedule, a real "snow job".

Michael D. Storey
03-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Only second hand stories from Norris Hoyt, and a copy of a letter from Culler to Rose Dolan explaining how they were over budget and behind schedule, a real "snow job".

Yeah, the whole build crew had to get on the roof and shovel it off. Set 'em back weeks.

wesnbetsy
03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm planning on having Defiance dockside at this years wooden boat show. Hope you all can stop by and share your stories.

Sayla
03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
I'll look into talking my wife into plane tickets to the States. After a hiatus to work on our house I am back on to doing framing work.

Is this years wooden boat show the one where Woodenboat is located?

I was quite taken with seeing the highlighting of (and photo of) Defiance when recently reading Hand Reef and Steer.

Hwyl
03-27-2014, 03:59 PM
No it's in Mystic Ct http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/ looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Lawrie
03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
I was enjoying the overnight run up the St. Lawrence River on the south side of PEI (before the bridge) heading for Gaspe' and awaiting the view of Il Bonaventure - It was blowing hard, we had breaking water over the transom every ten minutes are so, glad the dinghy was on deck rather than the davits, and only the Captain and myself (mate) took turns at the helm to make sure we did not broach. Defiance's pumps were working hard, she was groaning a bit - but fine, although the young cadets on board as part of the Jacques Cartier 400th anniversary Tall Ships event were a bit anxious to say the least - we made it around the rock that afternoon - I had many grand and memorable moments on that girl during the summer of 1984, as we went up into Lake Ontario, then back down river and up the Richelieu river into Lake Champlain and down the Hudson and back to home berth in Stamford.

wesnbetsy
03-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Lawrie
I found some of those charts of the hudson river marked with DR's along with Canadian customs documents in the bottom of the chart drawer recently....I asked the boat to explain but she keeps her secrets...

Sayla
03-28-2014, 05:04 AM
As most of you know, for a few years, I was the skipper of Defiance featured in the latest WB. It's a nice article by Bill. The oral history when I was aboard was that Aage Nielsen did rather more than "refine" the lines and she certainly was faster than other Petersen schooners.

I was surprised to read her sail area, I used thee main topsail most of the time and was rarely overpressed.

I have good memories of her, she was pretty much the same when I ran her as in the early pictures shown in the article. The aft cabin was changed, the bed extended to a double and the bathtub, which anecdotally was drawn to fit Rose Dolan, by either MP or Paul Luke ("now you just sit on this piece of butcher paper m'dear and I'll draw a line around you") was gone. Elecctronics were different of course.

I think I still remember most arrangements, so fire away with any questions and I'll try to answer.

Re: the sail area; that would be correct. Designed is 1140 sqft without the topsail, though the lwl is 37' as written in the article, not the 39' in the 'Particulars' box.

The space portside of the navigation station / chart table, under cabin house roof, appears to be without allocation (aside from engine room access?). Can you describe that space?

And, what do you think is in the drums in the dinghy in the first picture?

Darryl

Hwyl
03-28-2014, 06:47 AM
The portside space and much of the area below the cockpit was wasted. There was a hatch that gave access to the bulky "Constavolt" battery charger, access to the batteries and water pump and a odd dual meter that read electrolysis for two grounding circuits (bronze and steel).

There was a generator that was never used under the starboard side cockpit, with access through a bronze frame over a deck cutout.

The original engine was in her when I was aboard, she was re engined shortly after that and I should imagine the engine was much smaller.

As to the containers, I don't know. I can't remember her fuel or water capacity, but I never remember running low and I have motored from Stamford to Maine (300 miles or so) without refuelling.

Sayla
03-28-2014, 07:13 AM
The portside space and much of the area below the cockpit was wasted. There was a hatch that gave access to the bulky "Constavolt" battery charger, access to the batteries and water pump and a odd dual meter that read electrolysis for two grounding circuits (bronze and steel).

There was a generator that was never used under the starboard side cockpit, with access through a bronze frame over a deck cutout.

The original engine was in her when I was aboard, she was re engined shortly after that and I should imagine the engine was much smaller.

As to the containers, I don't know. I can't remember her fuel or water capacity, but I never remember running low and I have motored from Stamford to Maine (300 miles or so) without refuelling.

I've been re-figuring that forward end under-cockpit and portside area in my mind. I had been thinking that's quite a bit of space that, these days, would be more tightly assigned. The original engine was a 100hp Red-Wing Meteor. Perhaps Wes might tell us what the current one is.

As for the drums......crab pots?

Hwyl
03-28-2014, 07:33 AM
The engine when I was aboard was a Graymarine, I think. It had nylon inserts in the rockers and no lock nuts, the tappets needed adjusting regularly.

Ian McColgin
03-28-2014, 08:06 AM
I like the nose gear clearly visible in the photo of Capt Pete furling the forestaysail. Paired footropes either side of the dolphin striker and nice supports so they don't sag. If you must be out in the dark and stormy wrestling with the jib, feet on that and gut around the jib boom is about as secure as you can get. For a small schooner like this, much better than trying to make a hammock between the whiskers.

Hwyl
03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I like the nose gear clearly visible in the photo of Capt Pete furling the forestaysail. Paired footropes either side of the dolphin striker and nice supports so they don't sag. If you must be out in the dark and stormy wrestling with the jib, feet on that and gut around the jib boom is about as secure as you can get. For a small schooner like this, much better than trying to make a hammock between the whiskers.

I see from the same picture that he had lazyjacks on the staysail. I got rid of those in an effort to make her sail better, I also got rid of the anchor catting halyard (whatever it's called) that was controversial. She also had downhauls on the staysail and jib, I got rid of the one on the staysail, I think I may have kept the one on the jib, but used much lighter line.

wesnbetsy
03-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Power is a yanmar 100 hp. The area below the cockpit is a Gareth describes, but I'd caution anyone from adding a lot of clutter as Peterson coasters tend to rot in the stern what with the framing in the reverse transom trapping water and the tumblehome in the planking way aft directing rainwater into the transom planks if the smallest crack forms in the paint ? I added cowl vents p&s aft on the deck to help air things out

Sailor
05-03-2014, 11:20 PM
I suppose adding some form of blocking above the transom framing to direct the water down instead of trapping it would be in order on a new build..... Read the article this morning. A good read.