PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Fiscal Stimulus - 5 year anniversary

David G
03-21-2014, 02:30 AM
We recently passed the anniversary of this bit of economic intervention - with not a lot of fanfare here in the Bilge. I think it's worth reviewing. Here's one economist's take --

http://content.ksg.harvard.edu/blog/jeff_frankels_weblog/2014/02/26/the-fiscal-stimulus-market-turnaround-5-year-anniversary/

Commentators are taking note of the five-year anniversary of the fiscal stimulus that President Obama enacted during his first month in office. Those who donít like Obama are still asking ďif the fiscal stimulus was so great, why didnít it work?Ē

oznabrag
03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Bump for grins and hoping a few RWZs have had their coffee now.

TomF
03-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Those damned facts.

David G
03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Another take - more of a general summary --

http://useconomy.about.com/od/candidatesandtheeconomy/a/Obama_Stimulus.htm

David W Pratt
03-22-2014, 12:14 PM
My problem with the stimulus is that it spent capital for operating expenses. We did not fix roads, bridges, harbors, etc.
And, if you look at the job growth from 2008 to now, it is pretty anemic.

oznabrag
03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
My problem with the stimulus is that it spent capital for operating expenses. We did not fix roads, bridges, harbors, etc.
And, if you look at the job growth from 2008 to now, it is pretty anemic.

I, for one, am quite happy to have spent capital on operating expenses in return for anemic job growth.

In contrast to the alternative, it is an absolutely stellar accomplishment.

BRAVO!

TomF
03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Fixing infrastructure would be a great idea. One which would cost substantially more again than the existing stimulus, though. And which as a result was a non-starter in terms of the ability to sell as a bipartisan program. Much better to have something, than nothing.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-22-2014, 02:18 PM
People complaining about the economy shouldn't have let their Repub bidnez owner buddies outsource all those jobs over the last two decades.