PDA

View Full Version : coffee

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
why is it that a good restaurant produces good coffee but I can't replicate it at home?... they even use the same sort of percolators

Paul Pless
03-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Beans? Water? Grind? Temp?

Atmosphere??

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:08 AM
I've been trying different coffees
the water is the same as the restaurant
yup... it's ground up
same atmosphere as the restaurant

bare in mind that I simply cannot see any correlation to French presses or Carillion squeezers or any the fad driven "special" equipment...I can see what the restaurant is using

The brand is often Hills Brothers… which is not sold in most stores around here

Curtism
03-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Do you have any GFS stores or the like in Ark.? They supply bulk goods for small restaurants here (they sell to the public too) and carry a Canadian brand that's quite good. You have to buy 2 lbs at a time but if you catch it on sale it's $10, which is almost half of what grocery store brands go for. I'd recommend getting a small grinder and buying whole beans instead of pre-ground. That makes a big difference. Also, once you open the bag, if you store the beans in an airtight container they keep better.

Oh, and spring water makes a big difference . . .

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
The definition of 'good coffee' is far too varied for a definitive answer. to some, the coffee served at Starbucks is 'excellent'... to me, it's burnt and bitter. For others, the coffee from Dunkin' Donuts is weak and flavorless... but I love the stuff.

Taste in coffee is like taste in music... it's not something worthy of dispute, because it is so individualized.

I understand that and agree... on the other hand, there is very little music that I don't like to some extent... from Bach to Bach-a-nova

I like Cuban coffee and the stuff I had in Brasil but don't have any idea how to reproduce that thick stuff

Paul Pless
03-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I like Cuban coffee and the stuff I had in Brasil but don't have any idea how to reproduce that thick stuffyou'll need some of that
fad driven "special" equipment...

a french press cost about ten bucks. . .

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:29 AM
you'll need some of that

a french press cost about ten bucks. . .

they used a standard kitchen percolator in the job-shack in the Brasil locations...

Ted Hoppe
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
there is place around me that is called blue bottle coffee. It is tremendous. So good infact that the Facebook millionaires just gave them 25 million to expand in new York and Boston .

I think the secret to good coffee is freshly roasted coffee which is ground and served immediately to the drinker. Using a non bleached filter, proper 2 tablespoons per cup measuring, water temperature, hot water properly distributed over all the grounds. I like a single drip, ceramic filter. I also think if one uses milk or cream - a fine organic is best.

varadero
03-14-2014, 08:49 AM
there is place around me that is called blue bottle coffee. It is tremendous. So good infact that the Facebook millionaires just gave them 25 million to expand in new York and Boston .

I think the secret to good coffee is freshly roasted coffee which is ground and served immediately to the drinker..

Ta Daaaa....

Bobby of Tulsa
03-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Bunch of coffee snobs.:):)

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:51 AM
well, I can go back to grinding my own... haven't doen that for a while

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Bunch of coffee snobs.:):)

it's the elitists who use the Corillion squeezer who are the snobs :)

Bobby of Tulsa
03-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Never wash your coffee pot or your coffee cup. If your cup doesn't gross someone out, your coffee will never taste right. If your coffee pot doesn't hold more than about ten cups of water a hand full of coffee will be enough to taste pretty good. I like mine kinda fresh ground, say at least in the last year. Day old coffee is best when ya first wake up, just to get you in shape to make the next pot.:):)

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Never wash your coffee pot or your coffee cup. If your cup doesn't gross someone out, your coffee will never taste right. If your coffee pot doesn't hold more than about ten cups of water a hand full of coffee will be enough to taste pretty good. I like mine kinda fresh ground, say at least in the last year. Day old coffee is best when ya first wake up, just to get you in shape to make the next pot.:):)

not a bad approach! :)

S/V Laura Ellen
03-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I would speculate that the age of the coffee has a great deal to do with it.
Restaurants and coffee shops go trough a lot of coffee so the ground coffee never gets old.
Ground coffee is only good for a day at most.
Roasted beans are good for approx. 2 weeks.
To get the best coffee at home, buy the amount of beans that you will need for 1-2 weeks direct, fresh from a roaster.
Grind only the amount you will use immediately.

It's a lot of hassle, you may want to just get used to bad coffee.

Captain Intrepid
03-14-2014, 09:19 AM
bare in mind that I simply cannot see any correlation to French presses or Carillion squeezers or any the fad driven "special" equipment.

A good coffee maker makes a huge difference in the quality of the coffee. If the water doesn't get hot enough, it'll never extract the flavour from the beans.

The right tool for the right job eh?

elf
03-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Start with a grinder and freshly roasted beans.

Get a drip or press type coffee maker.

Try different quantities of ground beans until you find the correct amount.

Make sure the water is hot enough.

If it came ground in a can off the shelf of the grocery store, leave it there. It's junk as soon as it's been ground for sale.

varadero
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
A good coffee maker makes a huge difference in the quality of the coffee. If the water doesn't get hot enough, it'll never extract the flavour from the beans.

Or too hot and it brings out all the bitter flavours, too much preasure the same.

Captain Intrepid
03-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Or too hot and it brings out all the bitter flavours, too much preasure the same.

Yep. I use an aeropress these days, which combines a moderate amount of pressure with lower temperature water for it's extraction process. I still prefer the taste of french press coffee, but the cleanup is so much simpler with an aeropress.

Ted Hoppe
03-14-2014, 10:10 AM

I want this tool. It is beautiful and makes the most amazing cup of joe. Wife says there is no room in the kitchen.:mad:

http://fortunefeatures.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/blue_bottle_kyoto_dripper.jpg

Canoeyawl
03-14-2014, 10:22 AM
If you have chlorinated water you will never make a good cup of coffee.
(And, my experience is that "Hard" water makes better coffee than "soft" water).

Water is 98% of "coffee"

Bobby of Tulsa
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Or too hot and it brings out all the bitter flavours, too much preasure the same. Uhhh, that's why they call it coffee.

Hugh Conway
03-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Buy green coffee beans and roast them yourself. There's an amazing variety of roasts and coffees out there you need a really snobby coffee bar to approach the variety you can do at home yourself with the help of http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

pipefitter
03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I have been drinking the same coffee for 20 years. Folgers 100% Colombian. When the price is lower, it's ever so slightly weaker, it seems. Still, everyone that has coffee here or even smells it at work, loves it, and swears it must be a 'welders make the best coffee' thing. When I tell them it is Folgers, they seem disappointed because everyone knows mainstream coffee can't be any good. At any rate, I have a lot of converts to the brand that have tried it here.

If I can't have my brand, I find that other places such as Starbucks, the 100% Colombian will be acceptable across the brands. 2 coffee pot cups makes a mug nearabouts. So, it is 3 'heaping' teaspoons per mug.

Folgers has hit a sweet spot between boldness and caffiene content with this particular roast. Some over roast their version and it may take two cups to get a jump start, while Folgers can manage it in one.

I can't stand the smell or taste of chickory in coffee, or whatever it is that some of the regular grinds such as maxwell house or even folgers classic uses.

Jim Mahan
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM
If I need to settle for canned grocery store coffee, I like Yuban best but Folger's isgood, too.

oznabrag
03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
I am drinking Folger's right now, as The Girl is out for the day.

Our usual is Ethiopian Yergotchafee, and it is absolutely delicious, but my go-to every-day coffee was A&P Eight O'Clock for many years.

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 12:03 PM
All this reminds me of a time in my childhood when I had a habit of getting up at 0430 and Mom and Dad were still asleep. They used an old fashioned dripolator (I think that is what it was called… spell check doesn’t have it). I remember thinking I would please them with hot coffee (I must have been about 6 years old) and boiled the water and filled the coffee basket BRIM FULL of coffee!

After that Mom and Dad said thanks and drank it with grim expressions on their faces… and they started getting up earlier.

apparently my faliure as a coffee maker goes way back :)

Paul Pless
03-14-2014, 12:08 PM
After that Mom and Dad said thanks and drank it with grim expressions on their faces… worth a chuckle, thanks :D

ron ll
03-14-2014, 02:23 PM
why is it that a good restaurant produces good coffee but I can't replicate it at home?... they even use the same sort of percolators

The police are sneaking into your house at night while you sleep and are diluting your coffee with chickory.

(All in fun Phillip. :) )

S/V Laura Ellen
03-14-2014, 02:39 PM
There was a theory that Tim Hortons was putting trace amounts of nicotine or cocaine on the rims of their coffee mugs.

Jim Mahan
03-14-2014, 03:17 PM
There was a rumor that some packs of Old Gold cigarettes had pot mixed in with the tobacco.

Canoeyawl
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
There was a rumor that some packs of Old Gold cigarettes had pot mixed in with the tobacco.

Good old Acapulco Gold

Stiletto
03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
I had a few days away last week and asked myself the same question after buying a coffee. I had ordered a flat white. I noticed that they scald the milk as part of the process, and although I dont have an espresso machine, decided to see if I could improve things.
Lately I have been using a plunger or what some call a French Press as my stovetop espresso pot has a broken handle. I took the glass container and half filled it with milk and heated it to scalding (definitely not boiling!) temperature in the microwave, then put the freshly ground beans on top of the milk. I then topped it up with boiling water and used the plunger in the normal way after letting it sit for a short time.
Result: Much better coffee!, although still not quite there. More experimentation is called for!

Most coffee in NZ in restaurants etc. is freshly ground and made on an espresso machine.

pkrone
03-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I roast my own beans and grind them just before brewing. Pardon my hubris, but nowhere around here can equal the coffee served at my house.

Michael D. Storey
03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
A restaurant will use a water filter designed for water that will be heated. A restaurant will also clean their coffee maker, inside and out.

I do not mean to imply that you do not, of course, but these two items are important for brewing good coffee, regardless (huron-gardless) of the age of the beans, etc.

Paul Pless
03-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Phillip, Cuban and Brazillian coffee likely use a form of crystallized cane juice sugar, that maybe where you are diverging from the flavor that you recall associated with those coffees. Just a thought. . .

Phillip Allen
03-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Phillip, Cuban and Brazillian coffee likely use a form of crystallized cane juice sugar, that maybe where you are diverging from the flavor that you recall associated with those coffees. Just a thought. . .

maybe... certainly not H2O 'designed' to be heated though

ron ll
03-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Wait. We're complaining about the taste of coffee after you've dumped sugar into it!?

Phillip Allen
03-15-2014, 07:34 AM
I use creamer and artificial sweetener at home... at a nice restaurant I may drink it black

Phillip Allen
03-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Well, Jaysues H. Creist, lad, there's a problem right there!:d
Seriously though, what is the difference in your coffee? Is it to strong or to weak? Or does it just taste different?
I use a stove top perculator, 6-8 tablespoons of coffee. I use 8 0'clock and grind it myself.
High heat until it starts to prec, turn it to low heat and perc for 5-6 minutes.
Do it the same way every time for consistant results.
No cinnimon, no hazlenut, no french mocha vanilla syrup.

I doctor it up at home because I can't get it to tast as good as black at other places... other than that, I agree with keeping things as simple as possible. it's generally always good on a creek bank to bring a pot of water dipped out of the creek to a boil, throw in a handful of coffee, bring it back to a boil and remove from heat and let the grounds settle a bit... cowboy coffee :)

Mrleft8
03-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Restaurant coffee good?
I've never experienced that.....

Paul Pless
03-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Restaurant coffee good?
I've never experienced that.....

try mcdonalds

<cue lefty's head exploding now>

ron ll
03-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Phillip, I'm starting to wonder if there might simply be a difference in your water at home. Is it well water? If you drink a glass of water at a restaurant does it taste different than a glass at home? Maybe even try filling a water bottle at a restaurant and carry it home to make coffee. Or I guess just buy a jug of drinking water at the store.

Phillip Allen
03-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Phillip, I'm starting to wonder if there might simply be a difference in your water at home. Is it well water? If you drink a glass of water at a restaurant does it taste different than a glass at home? Maybe even try filling a water bottle at a restaurant and carry it home to make coffee. Or I guess just buy a jug of drinking water at the store.

I've tried it both ways... no difference to me

I used to drink a lot more coffee but now-a-days, I don't drink it more than once or twice a week... maybe I'm just tired of it

John Smith
03-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Why is "good restaurant" in blue and underlined, and a link. I doubt you put it in as a link?

ron ll
03-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Why is "good restaurant" in blue and underlined, and a link. I doubt you put it in as a link?
It isn't here. Must be local to your browser.

leikec
03-15-2014, 11:08 AM
How can something smell so wonderful while it is brewing but taste so bad once it is ready to drink?

Jeff C

TomF
03-15-2014, 11:14 AM
How can something smell so wonderful while it is brewing but taste so bad once it is ready to drink?

Jeff Ccareful man, I'm an addict, and might get punchy if you malign my drug of choice! :D

leikec
03-15-2014, 11:15 AM
careful man, I'm an addict, and might get punchy if you malign my drug of choice! :D

i can see the mob coming down my street with knives and pitchforks... :D

Jeff C

pipefitter
03-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Don't be put off by the thought of putting cream and sugar in coffee. We had a guy we worked with that was always going on about that. Of course he drank only proper beer, authentic Italian food, real cheese and bread, the best cuts of meat etc. So the last time he gave up his opinion about coffee, I rinsed the sugar and cinnamon from his donut in his water glass, wrung it out, and put it back on his plate.

So now, every time he goes to eat something, we are sure to question him about the use of condiments and anything else he may alter food wise. I think he is kind of sorry he ever said anything.

Phillip Allen
03-15-2014, 12:51 PM

it must be local to you... I put it in quotes

Paul Pless
03-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Don't be put off by the thought of putting cream and sugar in coffee.nor whiskey. . .

AussieBarney
03-15-2014, 01:54 PM
I live in a tourist town, or that is what the local council call it. In this town there are 27 places one can purchase a cup of coffee, there are three places I will return to for a second round.....and I have been known to drink beverages that would kill a strong women and cripple a strong man.

Full Tilt
03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Don't be put off by the thought of putting cream and sugar in coffee. We had a guy we worked with that was always going on about that. Of course he drank only proper beer, authentic Italian food, real cheese and bread, the best cuts of meat etc. So the last time he gave up his opinion about coffee, I rinsed the sugar and cinnamon from his donut in his water glass, wrung it out, and put it back on his plate.

So now, every time he goes to eat something, we are sure to question him about the use of condiments and anything else he may alter food wise. I think he is kind of sorry he ever said anything.

Lemme get this straight.

You picked up the man's lunch and dunked it in his waterglass and then squeezed it into a soggy little ball of dough and put it on his plate?

Have you tried Sanka?

Mike

John Smith
03-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Lemme get this straight.

You picked up the man's lunch and dunked it in his waterglass and then squeezed it into a soggy little ball of dough and put it on his plate?

Have you tried Sanka?

Mike

I don't know whether it was actually the coffee, or the circumstances, but I remember three cups of coffee that I enjoyed more than any others I had. One was served at a small snack stand on the beach in a harbor on Long Island Sound. One was on the dock of some club in Great Kills Harbor. The third was at a Burger King on route 22 in Union NJ. They were super good for some reason.

John Smith
03-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I just remembered a conversation I had with a deli owner who found people found his coffee slightly inconsistent. He used the same machine, the same coffee, and the same water. After giving it some thought, we decided the items that changed during the day were the milk and cream. They came out of the fridge quite cold. Gradually they warmed to room temp. Perhaps this was sufficient to make one cup of the same coffee noticeably different from another cup.

stumpbumper
03-15-2014, 10:51 PM
We order Gevalia Breakfast Blend through the mail. Comes ground and vacuum sealed. We make it in a typical Mr. Coffee drip percolator with tap water. It tastes better than any coffee I've ever had in any restaurant.

http://www.gevalia.com/breakfast-blend/K71,default,pd.html order

Michael D. Storey
03-16-2014, 08:38 AM
maybe... certainly not H2O 'designed' to be heated though

It is quite clear that the design referenced was in the filter and not the water. I must admit that I am not comfortable having to explain this very obvious fact.

Paul Pless
03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
It tastes better than any coffee I've ever had in any restaurant.strong shop coffee for me this morning. . .

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/5c5e30e9-5b23-45ba-9a01-589fefaf7cf5_zpse6bb07e2.jpg?t=1394977635

Paul Pless
03-16-2014, 08:58 AM
omg, that's good coffee

ron ll
03-16-2014, 09:26 AM
I think it is simply situational. Probably the best coffee I've ever had was out of a thermos in the middle of a winter sailboat race in a half rain/snow drizzle. Technically it could have been the worst coffee ever brewed.

LeeG
03-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Any other colors?

LeeG
03-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Jeff C

Like pipe tobacco

S/V Laura Ellen
03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Pipe tobacco makes lousy coffee.

Pipe Tobacco is an inanimate object, it can't make coffee.

S/V Laura Ellen
03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
I'll say!

In fact, I thought I did?

Enough of this tomfoolery, I'm out of coffee and need to go out and get some beans.

Captain Intrepid
03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
I think it is simply situational. Probably the best coffee I've ever had was out of a thermos in the middle of a winter sailboat race in a half rain/snow drizzle. Technically it could have been the worst coffee ever brewed.

Mhmmm. Best coffee I ever have is brewed in a percolator on an open fire with melted snow while ice fishing. Best kind!

PhaseLockedLoop
03-16-2014, 03:44 PM
You folks go to a lot of trouble. Here's Murry Taylor, smokejumper:

"I looked at my watch--3:05. I pulled two instant coffees out of my shirt pocket, tore them open, and poured the contents into my left hand. I snapped off the lid of my canteen, popped the freeze-dried coffee into my mouth, and poured in some water. I sloshed the mixture around, swallowed it, and then walked back to where the guys were working on the saw lines."

You gotta be tough.

Phillip Allen
03-16-2014, 05:50 PM
You folks go to a lot of trouble. Here's Murry Taylor, smokejumper:

"I looked at my watch--3:05. I pulled two instant coffees out of my shirt pocket, tore them open, and poured the contents into my left hand. I snapped off the lid of my canteen, popped the freeze-dried coffee into my mouth, and poured in some water. I sloshed the mixture around, swallowed it, and then walked back to where the guys were working on the saw lines."

You gotta be tough.

ya gotta admit... pretty strong... perhaps it's a smoke-a-chino