PDA

View Full Version : paint/varnish (?) please

martin schulz
06-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Ok then, first:
1. My deck is not 100% waterproofed. Water will eventually get through in some places.
2. I don't believe in paint that doesn't give wood a chance to "breath" but more or less encapsulates it.

The problem is that water eventually getting though the deck will wet beams and ceiling planks. But because of the applied thick white paint the water has no chance of getting out of the wood, therefore staying inside letting it rot. I will, of course work on sealing my deck, but I am also looking for a white paint that will let humidity through giving the wood a chance to breath.

I heard that there are some paints used by window-carpenters that will let humidity through.

Any ideas?

martin schulz
Ok then, first:
1. My deck is not 100% waterproofed. Water will eventually get through in some places.
2. I don't believe in paint that doesn't give wood a chance to "breath" but more or less encapsulates it.

The problem is that water eventually getting though the deck will wet beams and ceiling planks. But because of the applied thick white paint the water has no chance of getting out of the wood, therefore staying inside letting it rot. I will, of course work on sealing my deck, but I am also looking for a white paint that will let humidity through giving the wood a chance to breath.

I heard that there are some paints used by window-carpenters that will let humidity through.

Any ideas?

martin schulz
Ok then, first:

Any ideas?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-12-2003, 05:02 AM
For you, Martin, but not, sadly, for American members of this Forum, this is really easy:

http://www.coelan.de

You will find the boat applications section tucked away in a corner of the site.

I put this stuff om my decks seven years ago and I have had no trouble at all since. I actually used the "clear" version, then put deck paint over it, as I wanted to see what was going on.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
For you, Martin, but not, sadly, for American members of this Forum, this is really easy:

You will find the boat applications section tucked away in a corner of the site.

I put this stuff om my decks seven years ago and I have had no trouble at all since. I actually used the "clear" version, then put deck paint over it, as I wanted to see what was going on.

Andrew Craig-Bennett