PDA

View Full Version : Centerboard Ballast

whsslr
12-04-2000, 09:13 PM
I am building a Glen-L 15 day sailer with a plywood centerboard that originally called for a cast iron "shoe" for ballast. I am trying to find out if such a thing can be purchased or should I just poor lead into a cavity in the centerboard? The centerboard is 18x39x3/4 inches. Glen-L no longer makes this part.

whsslr
I am building a Glen-L 15 day sailer with a plywood centerboard that originally called for a cast iron "shoe" for ballast. I am trying to find out if such a thing can be purchased or should I just poor lead into a cavity in the centerboard? The centerboard is 18x39x3/4 inches. Glen-L no longer makes this part.

whsslr

Ian McColgin
12-04-2000, 09:38 PM
I've solved this problem by making the board, floating it in water, and then piling up weight till it sank. Made the lead insert just a bit heavier for luck.

I seem to remember another thread about pouring the lead. If you make the hole through the CB beveled gently on each side and make sure it's fastened to a base so it won't float away on the poured lead, you can fill up the hole and it'll stay in place when it cools.

Put the weight as far to the lower corner as practical so it does the most good and decreases the strength of the board the least.

G'luck

Ian McColgin
I've solved this problem by making the board, floating it in water, and then piling up weight till it sank. Made the lead insert just a bit heavier for luck.

I seem to remember another thread about pouring the lead. If you make the hole through the CB beveled gently on each side and make sure it's fastened to a base so it won't float away on the poured lead, you can fill up the hole and it'll stay in place when it cools.

Put the weight as far to the lower corner as practical so it does the most good and decreases the strength of the board the least.

G'luck

Ian McColgin

G'luck

TomRobb
12-05-2000, 07:24 AM
Or if you'd rather, a series of bronze nails around the inside perimeter of the hole standing 1/2 or 3/4" proud will hold the lead as well. Yes, do look for the previous thread(s) on this subject. If I recall correctly, it got beat to death there.

TomRobb
Or if you'd rather, a series of bronze nails around the inside perimeter of the hole standing 1/2 or 3/4" proud will hold the lead as well. Yes, do look for the previous thread(s) on this subject. If I recall correctly, it got beat to death there.

TomRobb

Chad Smith
12-05-2000, 07:54 AM
I used screws on the inside of my hole and it seems to be holding the lead in place.

Chad

Chad Smith
I used screws on the inside of my hole and it seems to be holding the lead in place.

Chad

Chad Smith

Chad