PDA

View Full Version : Big Apple Spring 2014 EBS--the New Yorkening!!!

James McMullen
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Well, once again, it looks like I will be headed eastwards for New York City bound on my semi-regular pilgrimage. Anyone want to meet up in the city again for drinking beer, telling lies, eating too much, swapping stories and hanging out with fellow wooden boat nuts? I plan on bringing my iPad once more, with an all-new slideshow of sail n' oar adventures, illustrated boatbuilding tales of terror, and my new handy flowchart algorithm for determining whether a boat sucks or not.

Most certainly open to suggestions again from youse local guys for a nice pub or restaurant at which to meet, with the only proviso that it ought to be within staggering distance of a subway stop for getting me back to Kate at some point before next morning.

Saturday evening, March 29, somewhere deep in the bowels of the Greatest City on Earth . . .who's in? :D

jim_cricket
02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm around that weekend. Would love to meet up with folks. It'd be nice to have a boat shop to visit. a
Anyone with an interesting project going close by?
Cricket

LongIslandBoy
02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Oh,maaaaaaaaan!....Seemingly endless winter storms, and now THIS!? Next thing ya know, he's gonna threaten us by hinting that he'll bring Yeadon with him!;):D
Seriously, looking forward to seeing you again, James.
Whadaya say, guys? Who's in for Sat. 3/29?

James McMullen
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Bring Yeadon? Well. . .we could skype him in, at least. In fact, I think I'll set it up with Kara without telling him so we can catch him unawares, before he's had a chance to think up some kind of alibi.

LongIslandBoy
02-26-2014, 08:49 PM
I'll leave that to you kids, all that intra-webs stuff.:d BTW, James, a bit off-topic, but what in the world is that new caption in the bottom of your posts? A translation would be appreciated.Regards, Wes

James McMullen
02-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Oh, that's a fragment of old English from a poem of circa 990-ish. It's kind of maudlin, I guess. I was really feeling my age when I put it up, noticing that it takes me most of the week to recover from a weekend and vice versa these days.

This is Dr. Jonathon A. Glenn's translation:

"Thought must be the harder, heart be the keener,
mind must be the greater, while our strength lessens."

Roger Cumming
02-26-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm in. Shall we convene in Peter McManus's on Seventh Avenue in Chelsea? It's convenient to subways.

LongIslandBoy
02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Wasn't it McManus's last time His Jamesness was in town? Nice place as I remember, pretty good cheeseburgers, and a respectable selection of beers. Works for me.

Roger Cumming
02-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Wasn't it McManus's last time His Jamesness was in town? Nice place as I remember, pretty good cheeseburgers, and a respectable selection of beers. Works for me.

Yes, it was.

Breakaway
02-28-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm in as a "maybe" until we get closer. I sure will try to make it.

Kevin

Dave Lesser
02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Sure, James, just wave as you fly over SLC.

Howard Sharp
03-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I'd love to be there, at risk of having my boats insulted, possibly in Celtic.

purri
03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Any WBFrs "live" in DUMBO?

LongIslandBoy
03-02-2014, 01:54 AM
twodot: Apologies, I completely forgot you had made the big move! How are things going over there?

purri, have you been to DUMBO? It's a pretty hip area!

Howard, we're actually a pretty classy lot. We'd NEVER insult another man's boat.......but if we HAD to we'd do it in English.:D

James McMullen
03-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Aye aye, twodot. I shall personally make sure that your beer ration does not go wasted. Someone else is going to have to cover the burger thing though. If we're going to that McManus pub again, I'm having the reuben. New York does pastrami and corned beef better than anywhere else in the world.

Rich Jones
03-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Too bad that I moved from the NYC area to Vermont. Otherwise, I'd be there. Maybe I can sail a boat down Lake Champlain, through a canal and down the Hudson to NY... naw, I'd need an icebreaker to do it! Have a great time, all!

purri
03-05-2014, 04:05 AM
No. IIRC My missis stayed abt west 57th Street waaay above the street for abt 3 weeks in 09 but toured DUMBO. Her best mate's husband was doing a Haahvaard GSM gig at the time and they did a move there for a while.
twodot: Apologies, I completely forgot you had made the big move! How are things going over there?

purri, have you been to DUMBO? It's a pretty hip area!

Howard, we're actually a pretty classy lot. We'd NEVER insult another man's boat.......but if we HAD to we'd do it in English.:D

James McMullen
03-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Just a bump in case anyone who wants to know hadn't seen it yet. I'll be in New York one week from today, just as soon as I can get this pesky bronze casting nonsense over with. I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

Breakaway
03-23-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm still a "maybe" --have kids events logistics to work around in order to free myself up to go--we'll see.

Kevin

LongIslandBoy
03-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing everybody. I'm in dire need of some "boat talk"!

Howard Sharp
03-24-2014, 09:33 AM
What time - 5 - 6?

LongIslandBoy
03-25-2014, 08:11 PM
My schedule is pretty open, so whatever is good for the other guys is OK by me.

James McMullen
03-25-2014, 08:19 PM
If 5:00 isn't too early, then 5:00 sounds just fine to me.

Roger Cumming
03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Peter McManus Cafe, Seventh Avenue and West 19th Street, 5 PM Saturday 3/29. We should be able to make it to church Sunday AM.

LongIslandBoy
03-28-2014, 08:15 PM
See you all then.

Breakaway
03-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Dang! I am going to miss seeing you guys. Post pictures!

Kevin