PDA

View Full Version : Bedding compound recipe?

Thierry Msika
01-30-2001, 03:09 PM
Neither Dolphinite nor Interlux Boatyard Bedding compound are available in the UK.
I'd like to mix my own oil based bedding compound or maybe use a hardware store oil based mastic and add some ingredients to make it fungicide and somehow better than the one for window frames

Thierry Msika
Neither Dolphinite nor Interlux Boatyard Bedding compound are available in the UK.
I'd like to mix my own oil based bedding compound or maybe use a hardware store oil based mastic and add some ingredients to make it fungicide and somehow better than the one for window frames

Thierry Msika

nomad
04-01-2001, 01:27 PM
I might suggest synthetic roofing tar (fibregum is one trade name)as an alternative. I've used it in large boat construction. It does not bleed out in hot conditions the way dolphinite will but it is quite messy to use and may stain surrounding wood. Painting mating surfaces could help to prevent this. Bedding in wet paint is a good option where good wood to wood fits exist. Mastic will work just fine without fungicides. Remember, rot cannot exist in the absence of oxygen or moisture. Bedding compounds are merely displacing these elements.

nomad
I might suggest synthetic roofing tar (fibregum is one trade name)as an alternative. I've used it in large boat construction. It does not bleed out in hot conditions the way dolphinite will but it is quite messy to use and may stain surrounding wood. Painting mating surfaces could help to prevent this. Bedding in wet paint is a good option where good wood to wood fits exist. Mastic will work just fine without fungicides. Remember, rot cannot exist in the absence of oxygen or moisture. Bedding compounds are merely displacing these elements.

nomad