PDA

View Full Version : Urea Resin Glue

maa. melee
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Is this the dry powder that is mixed with water that came around in the 40's for marine glueups? If so, is it still around and where would it be sold? Maybe under a sugar coated name.

maa. melee
Is this the dry powder that is mixed with water that came around in the 40's for marine glueups? If so, is it still around and where would it be sold? Maybe under a sugar coated name.

maa. melee

kc8pql
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue

kc8pql

kc8pql

Joel Herzel
03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I've used this glue for many years, and it is a very good choice for certain applications. It is very sensitive to temperature during curing however. The label says minimum 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and they aren't kidding.

Use fresh stuff, warm the water and mix it with an electric kithen mixer til all the lumps are gone. I mix it a half hour before hand. It has good open time, over an hour or two.

I have recently made some good sized bent laminations with it in white oak, maple and sycamore. They were part of a chair that I saw a 400lb guy sit in. Worked great, but they cured in a plastic tent with a bathroom electric heater in it overnight. Must have been between 90 -100 degrees in there.

It is not a gap filler, if you're accustomed to epoxy. Not sure if I would use it for things that get wet. Weldwood used to make it in a marine grade, not sure if they still do. I use it for furniture these days. Manufactured by DAP now I think.

Joel Herzel
I've used this glue for many years, and it is a very good choice for certain applications. It is very sensitive to temperature during curing however. The label says minimum 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and they aren't kidding.

Use fresh stuff, warm the water and mix it with an electric kithen mixer til all the lumps are gone. I mix it a half hour before hand. It has good open time, over an hour or two.

I have recently made some good sized bent laminations with it in white oak, maple and sycamore. They were part of a chair that I saw a 400lb guy sit in. Worked great, but they cured in a plastic tent with a bathroom electric heater in it overnight. Must have been between 90 -100 degrees in there.

It is not a gap filler, if you're accustomed to epoxy. Not sure if I would use it for things that get wet. Weldwood used to make it in a marine grade, not sure if they still do. I use it for furniture these days. Manufactured by DAP now I think.

Joel Herzel

Jay Greer
03-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Invented during WWII for building PT Boats, Weldwood is by far the best glue for spar making and setting plugs in woods that are to be finished bright. It is an excellent general purpose glue and works especially well with hounduras. However, it doesn't work well with oak and will often let go. Don't laminate oak frames or deck beams with it! Temperature consideration is a must. Self life is posted on the can and should be observed.
Unfortunatly it is banned in CA and those who use it have to bootleg it in.
JG

Jay Greer
Invented during WWII for building PT Boats, Weldwood is by far the best glue for spar making and setting plugs in woods that are to be finished bright. It is an excellent general purpose glue and works especially well with hounduras. However, it doesn't work well with oak and will often let go. Don't laminate oak frames or deck beams with it! Temperature consideration is a must. Self life is posted on the can and should be observed.
JG

Jay Greer
JG

Bill Perkins
03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
As for the banning , the full title for the Weldwood product is Urea Formaldehyde .

Bill Perkins
As for the banning , the full title for the Weldwood product is Urea Formaldehyde .

Bill Perkins

Bill R
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Still available. I am using it on the skiff I am building. I got it theu McMaster Carr.

Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Bill R
Still available. I am using it on the skiff I am building. I got it theu McMaster Carr.

Bill R

Canoeyawl
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
This stuff is not good for you…beware the dust.
“Formaldehyde is listed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a probable human carcinogen. The National Toxicology Program (NTP) includes formaldehyde in the Annual Report on Carcinogens. Formaldehyde is regulated by OSHA as a potential cancer agent.”

Canoeyawl
“Formaldehyde is listed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a probable human carcinogen. The National Toxicology Program (NTP) includes formaldehyde in the Annual Report on Carcinogens. Formaldehyde is regulated by OSHA as a potential cancer agent.”

Canoeyawl

Joel Herzel
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
It's still being sold in the local lumberyard here in Santa Cruz, CA.

Joel Herzel

Joel Herzel

Shortman
04-16-2006, 06:57 AM
You can also mix w/hand stir. Start w/a coarse mixture, don't add too much water at a time, that's what causes lumps.
In our shop we use 705 urea resin glue from National Casien in NJ. Liquid resin, powder catalyst, easier to mix, BUT I think the smallest they sell is 5 gal. They do not distribute retail.
Weldwood is just as good, if you get the mix right, and yes, temperature sensitive.

Matt Cohen
04-17-2006, 09:10 AM

Also, can get it at Jamestown Distributors...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2432&familyName=Weldwood+Plastic+Resin+Glue&history=