PDA

View Full Version : non metalic fasteners

Chuck St John
02-06-2001, 10:43 PM
I was doing some refastening today, and the question came: “with all the space age materials being used now, why not screws and other fasteners that don’t rust, corrode or be subject to electralisis??? Ceramics, supper glass, super fibers, etc??? They make engine parts out of ceramics, disc brakes on race cars, they have glass parts in high tech applications, why not screws??? here is a great idea for a grad student in a physics/chemistry lab working with these materials. This must be a moneymaker for someone. And for sure, I will but them at twice the price I pay now, not to have to refasten my old wood boat ever again~!
Chuck St John

Chuck St John
I was doing some refastening today, and the question came: “with all the space age materials being used now, why not screws and other fasteners that don’t rust, corrode or be subject to electralisis??? Ceramics, supper glass, super fibers, etc??? They make engine parts out of ceramics, disc brakes on race cars, they have glass parts in high tech applications, why not screws??? here is a great idea for a grad student in a physics/chemistry lab working with these materials. This must be a moneymaker for someone. And for sure, I will but them at twice the price I pay now, not to have to refasten my old wood boat ever again~!
Chuck St John

Chuck St John
Chuck St John

swingking
02-06-2001, 11:44 PM
You might want to look at
http://www.raptornails.com
for plastic nails and staples.

swingking

swingking

Dave Carnell
02-07-2001, 07:41 AM
All of these non-metallic materials are way low in tensile strength under impact loads, whichis the prime property requirement for fasteners.

Dave Carnell
All of these non-metallic materials are way low in tensile strength under impact loads, whichis the prime property requirement for fasteners.

Dave Carnell

Ross Faneuf
02-09-2001, 01:33 PM
There was an outfit called Liberator which made nylon staples - very nice for stapling veneers for cold molding, since you could leave 'em in without hurting tools.

A fancy ceramic fastener might last; but would you want to pay for it?

Ross Faneuf
There was an outfit called Liberator which made nylon staples - very nice for stapling veneers for cold molding, since you could leave 'em in without hurting tools.

Ross Faneuf

Bruce Taylor
02-09-2001, 02:56 PM
Well, there is that new-fangled non-metallic fastener known as the "treenail." If we combine all our engineering resources we might, someday, catch up with the Vikings.

Bruce Taylor
Well, there is that new-fangled non-metallic fastener known as the "treenail." If we combine all our engineering resources we might, someday, catch up with the Vikings.

Bruce Taylor