PDA

View Full Version : JB Chicoine's Books

Mrleft8
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Are really good!
I finished "Spilled Coffee" last week, and am almost done with "Portrait of a Girl Running".... Spectacular!
As good as "Uncharted" was, these are even better. I highly recommend them all.... And she's one of us Bilge rats too! :D

ron ll
02-13-2014, 05:54 PM
I just downloaded the kindle version of Spilled Coffee. Which bilgerat is she and who wrote all those five star reviews on Amazon? Okay to read Spilled Coffee first or is it a sequel?

tomlarkin
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM
I read Uncharted on Kindle, and enjoyed it a lot. I'll check out the others too.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Shipwright-J-B-Chicoine-ebook/dp/B00FN8EUU0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1392336170&sr=1-1&keywords=uncharted+chicoine

MiddleAgesMan
02-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I, too, finished Spilled Coffee last week. My wife loaded it on the Kindle by mistake after I asked her to get Girl Running, which will be next.

I agree about Spilled Coffee, it was an amazing bit of writing and character development and I told JB as much.

MiddleAgesMan
02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I read Uncharted on Kindle, and enjoyed it a lot. I'll check out the others too.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Shipwright-J-B-Chicoine-ebook/dp/B00FN8EUU0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1392336170&sr=1-1&keywords=uncharted+chicoine

I read Uncharted, her first, but Spilled Coffee is several levels of greatness above and beyond it. And I told her as much.

BTW--I haven't reviewed any of her books on Amazon so I better get over there and get busy.

MiddleAgesMan
02-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Note to Ron II--the author is on here under her pen name which I assume is also her real name.

Mrleft8
02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
I just downloaded the kindle version of Spilled Coffee. Which bilgerat is she and who wrote all those five star reviews on Amazon? Okay to read Spilled Coffee first or is it a sequel?

Not a sequel, but it deserves one... Perhaps "Coffee in bed".... ;)

ron ll
02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Just finished the free sample and now into the bought version. So far very good, exactly what I was looking for having just finished "The Book Thief", a little dark but good.

ron ll
02-13-2014, 09:36 PM
BTW, no spoilers please in this thread. I have no idea where this story is going which is exactly how I like it.

Thanks.

MiddleAgesMan
02-13-2014, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't dream of it, Ron. :)

jbchicoine
02-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Aw, shucks, guys! I've gone all blushing. Thanks for reading and for all your kind words.

ron ll
02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
40% thru Spilled Coffee, really enjoying it. Are these published in hardcopy as well, or just ebooks?

okay, I just answered my own question, saw it on Amazon in hardcover. Next question; did you do the cover art? It's beautiful!

jbchicoine
02-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Hey Ron, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Yes, my books are available in hard copy—actually, trade paperback, not hard cover.

And yes, I did all my cover designs and the paintings in them, although on Spilled Coffee, Lefty provided some creative input. I really enjoy designing covers, but coming up with a concept is really challenging because my books cross genre. I’ve been reading a lot on author branding and continuity, especially within particular genres, unfortunately, my covers are kind of all over the place (Although the portraits carry the same theme, but one is a sequel to the other, so that what pretty straight forward).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gq-NAvBpzsk/UUY2TUvBjcI/AAAAAAAABT8/GDlDAwJXdVI/s320/Spilled+Coffee+front+trimmed.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z2Nc-AD8DbE/Uv9nca9BiiI/AAAAAAAABcA/cBo6P9vUZX0/s1600/Uncharted+thumbnail.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RLL5gIVGr8U/UhFsOVb2z6I/AAAAAAAABX4/AoTl99oB2x4/s400/Portrait+of+a+Girl+Running+small+cover+sample.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yxOBtOgdQyw/UgLF8QQbE7I/AAAAAAAABXk/2RF89G-Nbns/s320/Portrait+of+a+Protege+front+cover+sample.jpg

I would be curious to know what my readers would classify my books as, genre-wise.

Syed
02-15-2014, 09:25 AM
I am reading now 'Portrait of a Girl Running'. Good stuff, sorry for the free ride. |:)

jbchicoine
02-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I am reading now 'Portrait of a Girl Running'. Good stuff, sorry for the free ride. |:) I do hope you enjoy it, Syed. Although Girl Running is lumped in with Young Adult on Amazon, primarily because the protagonist is a 17-year-old girl, it has always felt more like adult fiction to me because of the subject matter. Student-teacher relationships are controversial, and I include two adult male points of view throughout the story. Consequently, many of my readers who like the story are grown men. Maybe it also has to do with the time period--the late 1970s--so guys who were in school then and looking back on those nostalgic years are now grownups, like me! ;)

As a side note, men tend to receive the sequel, Portrait of a Protege better than young women. As one reviewer stated in a three-star review "well, wow, this author certainly isn't afraid to go there, is she? " (it's actually my favorite review). I guess this story is even more controversial than Portrait of a Girl Running! :)

ron ll
02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I would be curious to know what my readers would classify my books as, genre-wise.

I'm only halfway thru Spilled Coffee so not ready to label it yet. I told Kathy it was a coming of age story, but I suspect there's going to be a lot more to it than that by the time I finish it.

I noticed the hard copies are priced quite a lot differently than the ebooks. Without getting too personal, do you have a preference for which you would rather have readers buy? My main complaint about Kindle is that they don't show the cover each time you pick up the book. And your covers are so beautiful that's a real shame. It would be easy for Kindle to do that, and I have written them more than once to ask for that feature to be added, obviously no luck yet.

Saturday, looking forward to some reading time today.

jbchicoine
02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm only halfway thru Spilled Coffee so not ready to label it yet. I told Kathy it was a coming of age story, but I suspect there's going to be a lot more to it than that by the time I finish it.

I noticed the hard copies are priced quite a lot differently than the ebooks. Without getting too personal, do you have a preference for which you would rather have readers buy? My main complaint about Kindle is that they don't show the cover each time you pick up the book. And your covers are so beautiful that's a real shame. It would be easy for Kindle to do that, and I have written them more than once to ask for that feature to be added, obviously no luck yet.

Saturday, looking forward to some reading time today.
I guess when it comes to which version I would prefer readers buy, well, to be honest, I'm just so tickled anytime anyone buys any version of any of my books. The money has never been the driving force behind my publishing. That said, aside from the fact that there is nothing quite like a book with actual pages and cover (my personal preference), I do make more profit from each hard copy sold. But I sell FAR more eBooks. I just want people to enjoy the experience, so do what makes you happy!

ron ll
02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Good to know. I personally like the convenience of the Kindle app on my iPhone because my book is always with me. But I don't want to support systems where publishers rip off artists.

jbchicoine
02-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Well, one of the bonuses of publishing independently is that I make far more than if I were being paid royalties via a traditional publisher. I've already made 20 time more on Uncharted's second edition than when I had a publisher (my publisher went under and rights reverted to me, and I published the second edition myself).

And as much as I love hard copy, I also love the convenience of my eReaders! I'm not a snob on either front. :)

Stiletto
02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm not a snob on either front. :)

Good for you! I Will soon be downloading an E version and experiencing your writing for the fist time, looking forward to it!

Mrleft8
02-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Finished "Girl Running" yesterday.... Wish I had the sequel here...

jbchicoine
02-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Good for you! I Will soon be downloading an E version and experiencing your writing for the fist time, looking forward to it!I'm curious about which one you plan to read. :)

jbchicoine
02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Finished "Girl Running" yesterday.... Wish I had the sequel here...This is where an eReader would come in real handy for you, Douglas! ;)

ron ll
02-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Just finished Spilled Coffee. Honestly one of my favorite books in a while.
(BTW, reading a book in three days is pretty much a record for me and an indication of how much I liked it. )

Now to decide which one is next. Uncharted?

Mrleft8
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
This is where an eReader would come in real handy for you, Douglas! ;)

I would not enjoy it. I'm old school, Breezjheet .... Remember? ;)

Stiletto
02-16-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm curious about which one you plan to read. :)

Which do you recommend as a starter?

jbchicoine
02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I would not enjoy it. I'm old school, Breezjheet .... Remember? ;)I know ... and it was kind of cruel not to send you the sequel--but I didn't know if you'd even like Girl Running, so why chance it with Protege!

jbchicoine
02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Which do you recommend as a starter?Well, that's a hard one for me to recommend ... hmmm ... I guess I would go with Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright, just because this where I did a lot of my research--yes, right here in the Bilge (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?105939-Question-for-a-work-of-fiction&highlight=)!
There's some boat building, and shipwrecks and a beautiful virgin named Marlena. I've been told it starts out slow (most of my stories do--I call it character development, lol), but it picks up. Maybe one of the other guys have a suggestion with where to start.

ron ll
02-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Just finished "Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright". Enjoyed it a lot, maybe even a little more than "Spilled Coffee". But I have one nagging question from a West Coaster who doesn't get out much. What the hell is a "dooryard"?! :)

jbchicoine
02-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Just finished "Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright". Enjoyed it a lot, maybe even a little more than "Spilled Coffee". But I have one nagging question from a West Coaster who doesn't get out much. What the hell is a "dooryard"?! :)I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Ron. :)

As for the "dooryard"--Technically—and this from the internet—it’s “a yard or garden by the door of a house.” But I have always heard it used as the approach to a house or building, especially when so many rural places don’t have a paved or marked boundary for the driveway. It sometimes entails the walkway to the house along with a parking area. Generally, it’s more than just the driveway, but sometimes that all it really is, and yeah, it may include some lawn or garden area. I’ve never heard it used anywhere other than New England. (though I don't get out much!)

Maybe someone else has heard it used differently or has a better explanation.

MiddleAgesMan
02-21-2014, 07:21 PM
We don't use "dooryard" down here but I've come across it before. I think it must be a yankee-ism. :)

I have finished "Running" and really liked it. I suspect many of us old farts like it more than its supposedly Young Adult market.

I'm now well into "Protege" and have been a little shocked at how the story is developing. I kept thinking 'the author can't really be going there' but based on her comments above I guess she is really going to "go there!" :)

jbchicoine
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
We don't use "dooryard" down here but I've come across it before. I think it must be a yankee-ism. :)

I have finished "Running" and really liked it. I suspect many of us old farts like it more than its supposedly Young Adult market.

I'm now well into "Protege" and have been a little shocked at how the story is developing. I kept thinking 'the author can't really be going there' but based on her comments above I guess she is really going to "go there!" :)Yeah, I've gotten some very mixed and strong reactions to Protege. Overall, grown men tend to like it better than younger women. I will refrain from saying more--don't want to lead you one way or the other about how it all turns out!

ron ll
02-21-2014, 07:39 PM
These are suppose to be "young adult" novels? Being a septagenarian, I guess I shouldn't have enjoyed them as much as I thought I did. :)

jbchicoine
02-21-2014, 07:44 PM
These are suppose to be "young adult" novels? Being a septagenarian, I guess I shouldn't have enjoyed them as much as I thought I did. :)They kind of are, and kind of aren't. I'm tempted to change the category to simply General Fiction. But since the protagonist for Girl Running is seventeen, I've been encouraged to go with Young Adult. But the themes are rather adult, don't you think? Tricky business, labeling genres! :|

ron ll
02-21-2014, 07:48 PM
It's a good escape for us old farts who "remember when". When I finished Spilled Coffee, I wanted to be Ben and I wanted to be in love with Amelia.

jbchicoine
02-21-2014, 07:59 PM
It's a good escape for us old farts who "remember when". When I finished Spilled Coffee, I wanted to be Ben and I wanted to be in love with Amelia.
That makes me very happy! :D

MiddleAgesMan
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I finished Protege a couple days ago and was very pleased with it overall.

There is a pleasant surprise after The End, something I've not seen any other fiction writer do: Ms. Chicoine has a brief "cast meeting" in which the characters get to meet the author and tell her what they liked and didn't like about the roles they were required to play in the two books, Runner and Protege. It was a fun and funny bonus. :)

jbchicoine
02-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Archie, I'm really glad you enjoyed the "Meet the Cast" addendum. It was probably more for me than my readers, but it seemed like a fun idea to include it. I had some very mixed feelings about what I did with and to some of my characters in those two stories. There were some scenes and plot lines I cut. It's always hard to know where to draw the line. I hope it appeases some readers that might have been really cheesed off with me! |;)

Mrleft8
02-24-2014, 05:57 PM
How could anyone be "Cheesed off" at you Breezjheet? ;)

jbchicoine
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
You haven't read Protege yet, Douglas. I assure you, you will be royally cheesed off at me! But you'll get over it--and I think you will like the rest of the story. But in case you don't, perhaps you will at least find meeting the cast amusing.

By the way, welcome back! And your copy of Protege should arrive in your mailbox on Wednesday!