PDA

View Full Version : Why does Microsoft take so long for it's updates?

NickW
02-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Most updates come though automatically and take 1 to 2 minutes to process. Tonight, Microsoft gave 9 updates totalling <50 MB. They took 25 minutes to download and another 20 to install, configure and restart.

Simple question, Why So Long??

Nick

bogdog
02-13-2014, 03:36 PM
No problem here, it was done in less than three minutes.

Fitz
02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Most updates come though automatically and take 1 to 2 minutes to process. Tonight, Microsoft gave 9 updates totalling <50 MB. They took 25 minutes to download and another 20 to install, configure and restart.

Same here. I thought it was just me.

seanz
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Took a while here too. Maybe the extra time is to convert into Queen's English?

Anyway, speaking of the Empire, we'll be getting a call from India in the next day or two, happens after every major update.

"Hello, this is the Windows Service Center, there is a problem with your computer."

Thieving bastids........

John of Phoenix
02-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Last time I did a clean install of XP it took over a day to download and install all the updates and service packs and that was using a hard wired 100MB/s cable connection.

Chip-skiff
02-13-2014, 07:41 PM
All the rewrites and patches add up to a great many lines of code. Imagine a leaky boat that has been repaired by nailing on patches. Eventually, you're nailing patches over patches.

And the damn thing still leaks.

Canoeyawl
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
It all has to filter through the NSA

NickW
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
All the rewrites and patches add up to a great many lines of code. Imagine a leaky boat that has been repaired by nailing on patches. Eventually, you're nailing patches over patches.

And the damn thing still leaks.

Maybe Microsoft need a few lessons in Quality Assurance, "Right First Time" being the mantra in manufacturing.

Nick

genglandoh
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Nick

We have come a long way.

My first modem was 300 bits per second.
It would have taken 2 days to just download 50 Meg.

Donn
02-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't allow Microsoft, or any other software vendor to automatically update on my PC. I let them tell me what upgrades are available, and then either install them on my schedule, or don't install them at all if I don't need them.

Paul Pless
02-14-2014, 01:20 PM
or don't install them at all if I don't need them.How do you make this determination? Seriously, most times the language describing the update is jibberish. If I don't update, especially Microsoft product, but there are others I find my attachments don't mesh with those of my corporate clients, maybe not right away but one or two updates down he road. . .

Donn
02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
If I can't figure out what the update is from the description, I Google it.