PDA

View Full Version : hooka [hookah?] rig for boat maintenance

capmpete
08-23-2003, 01:11 PM
I want to put together a hooka rig for dockside maintenance on my boat. I've already got scuba gear, so I guess I can use the regulators from that. I know I need to buy safe breathing hose, but what about the compressor? Can I use a cheap oiless compressor from Home Despot? Has anybody researched this out? Would I need a filter in addition? Any help greatly appreciated.

capmpete
I want to put together a hooka rig for dockside maintenance on my boat. I've already got scuba gear, so I guess I can use the regulators from that. I know I need to buy safe breathing hose, but what about the compressor? Can I use a cheap oiless compressor from Home Despot? Has anybody researched this out? Would I need a filter in addition? Any help greatly appreciated.

capmpete

hacd
08-23-2003, 02:15 PM
if you are occasionaly doing the bottom of the boat you can get an extra long low pressure hose that of course goes between the first stage and regulator.hook up to a regular scuba tank and you are off .
this is much cheaper and easier than using a compressor,and you wont come up to find your boat ablaze.

try mar vel or one of the other companies specializing in dive equipment.

hacd
if you are occasionaly doing the bottom of the boat you can get an extra long low pressure hose that of course goes between the first stage and regulator.hook up to a regular scuba tank and you are off .
this is much cheaper and easier than using a compressor,and you wont come up to find your boat ablaze.

hacd

paladin
08-23-2003, 03:02 PM
and with a two tank manifold you will not run outta air under most circumstances and on a hose in less than thirty feet it will be virtually impossible to get the bends..........you can't go deep enough for too long..

paladin
and with a two tank manifold you will not run outta air under most circumstances and on a hose in less than thirty feet it will be virtually impossible to get the bends..........you can't go deep enough for too long..

paladin

Ben Charvet
08-23-2003, 03:37 PM
I made a setup using an old regulator. I used a scuba tank that stayed on the boat and extended the hose between the first and second stage with some reinforced clear hose that I bought at Lowe's. The old hose fittings were carefully removed and the new hose pushed on the barbs and held with hose clamps. The second stage uses relatively low pressures so this setup worked well for me. Its still not much fun to swim in a marina.. we have alligators and lots of manatees that can be a worry when the visability is less than a foot!

Ben

Ben Charvet
I made a setup using an old regulator. I used a scuba tank that stayed on the boat and extended the hose between the first and second stage with some reinforced clear hose that I bought at Lowe's. The old hose fittings were carefully removed and the new hose pushed on the barbs and held with hose clamps. The second stage uses relatively low pressures so this setup worked well for me. Its still not much fun to swim in a marina.. we have alligators and lots of manatees that can be a worry when the visability is less than a foot!

Ben

Ben Charvet

Ben

Mike Keers
08-23-2003, 03:39 PM
I think the guys above have the right idea. I looked into it also, and it's a bit more complicated than you speculate. For example, this company here (http://www.keeneengineering.com/pamphlets/howhookah.html) gives a good rundown on the equipment, and they claim SCUBA regulators cannot be used without modification, due to the different pressures and so forth used.

Besides an oil-less compressor and motor, you need a filter, accumulator tank, harness for the hose, floating hose, blablabla. It can get pretty expensive for even the most basic system if you buy it outright--about $800-1000 in my research.

The guy that does my bottom uses a hookah rig, and at $40 a month, I thought I might just buy the unit myself, but the up-front costs got me rethinking it.

Mike Keers
I think the guys above have the right idea. I looked into it also, and it's a bit more complicated than you speculate. For example, this company here (http://www.keeneengineering.com/pamphlets/howhookah.html) gives a good rundown on the equipment, and they claim SCUBA regulators cannot be used without modification, due to the different pressures and so forth used.

Besides an oil-less compressor and motor, you need a filter, accumulator tank, harness for the hose, floating hose, blablabla. It can get pretty expensive for even the most basic system if you buy it outright--about $800-1000 in my research.

The guy that does my bottom uses a hookah rig, and at $40 a month, I thought I might just buy the unit myself, but the up-front costs got me rethinking it.

Mike Keers

ahp
08-24-2003, 01:01 PM
There is a company with a website called Brownie's Third Lung, located in Florida. They make Hookas and have been around for a long time.

ahp
There is a company with a website called Brownie's Third Lung, located in Florida. They make Hookas and have been around for a long time.

ahp