PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Damage

poleguy
07-09-2001, 11:01 AM
Thank you all very much for your valuable insight regarding my lightning damaged pole (previous post). For numerous reasons I agree that the stepped or nibbed(?)scarf is the way to go. Unfortunately, when I go to discuss this with my local engineer he is going to look at me like I'm asking questions about plutonium. I will need to gather some preliminary data on the strength of these joints as they relate to tapered wooden poles. Can anyone suggest a resource which discusses "how to", "how long" and other dimensional issues?

Thanks again

Dave

[This message has been edited by poleguy (edited 07-11-2001).]

poleguy
07-11-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ironmule:
I didn't think of it on the other post, but isn't this basic "pole barn" construction? And shouldn't the manufacturers of pole buildings have run into this sort of problem before? The yellow pages may turn up some help. Good luck, JWSmith

Thanks for the suggestion. I have several pole building books. None of them cover pole splicing. In virtually all situations, the pole is replaced with one of appropriate length. This is not possible in my situation (discussed in previous post). As far as I can determine, mariners are the only ones who attempt to splice wooden poles.