Rum_Pirate
02-06-2014, 07:30 AM
http://www.flixxy.com/golf-ball-slow-motion.htm

Ian McColgin
02-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Very cool.

Rich Jones
02-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Someone should set up such a camera to record a pro golfer hitting a ball with their biggest driver. I wonder how much deformity there is? Amazing that the ball in the video doesn't shatter or crack at that speed.

bogdog
02-06-2014, 07:42 AM
That's neat, now I know what a golf ball looked like every time I hit one...

Paul Pless
02-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Someone should set up such a camera to record a pro golfer hitting a ball with their biggest driver. I wonder how much deformity there is? Amazing that the ball in the video doesn't shatter or crack at that speed.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2013/10/24/video-the-moment-of-impact-an-inside-look-at-titleist-golf-ball-r-and-d.aspx

Keith Wilson
02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Cool! The resonance after it bounces off is particularly interesting; it cycles a couple of times before settling down to spherical again.

Michael D. Storey
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I wonder how much of the kinetic energy is consumed in the deflection of the sphere.

hokiefan
02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I wonder how much of the kinetic energy is consumed in the deflection of the sphere.

I'm sure Titleist has put tons of effort into that very question to maximize drive distance.

Cheers,

Bobby

Gerarddm
02-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Remarkable first video. I am amazed that that golf ball maintains its physical integrity.

Paul Pless
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm sure Titleist has put tons of effort into that very question to maximize drive distance.

Cheers,

Bobbylots of compromises in golf ball design. . .

you want it hard and to come off the face of your driver quickly and with a 'click'
yet you want the cover soft so your irons grip it and give it spin and control,
plus you want the inside of it 'dead' so that when it lands on the green it sits
you also need it stay round for putting and it'd be nice if the cover lasted at least six holes or so. . .

:D

(i'll trade distance for feel and control anyday)

hokiefan
02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
lots of compromises in golf ball design. . .

you want it hard and to come off the face of your driver quickly and with a 'click'
yet you want the cover soft so your irons grip it and give it spin and control,
plus you want the inside of it 'dead' so that when it lands on the green it sits
you also need it stay round for putting and it'd be nice if the cover lasted at least six holes or so. . .

:D

(i'll trade distance for feel and control anyday)

Quite honestly when I played I was never good enough for the ball to matter, except in one key aspect.

I was playing for awhile in college with a good player who was really helping my game in lots of ways. So we come up to a par 3 over a water hazard to the green and I pull out an old "smilie" ball that I didn't mind losing. He jumped all over me, saying that ball would never fly right and of course it would go in the water. Put a good ball up there and stick it on the green. Shaking my head, I did just that. The lesson of course is that golf is 95%+ in your head. When you don't believe you can make the shot, you can't.

Now of course believing you can make the shot doesn't always translate to making the shot. The most frustrating game known to man...

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
visualization. . .

i've used it to good effect when playing golf, it can make a huge difference

Hal Forsen
02-06-2014, 05:47 PM
visualization. . .

i've used it to good effect when playing golf, it can make a huge difference

"Be the ball Danny."

Peter K
02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why do you think that there is less deformation of the ball when it is struck at 150mph by a club? (As in the 2nd video) than when it hit the steel plate.
Some of the energy dissipated in deforming the club head maybe?

The Bigfella
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why do you think that there is less deformation of the ball when it is struck at 150mph by a club? (As in the 2nd video) than when it hit the steel plate.
Some of the energy dissipated in deforming the club head maybe?

Two relatively lightweight moving objects vs one stationary, immovable, solid object

Oh, and in one case, the ball is simply accelerating... in the other it has to stop and then change direction.

Paul Pless
02-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Some of the energy dissipated in deforming the club head maybe?yes, the club face deforms, and the club face is lofted as well, plus there is flex in the shaft, and the grip and the players hands and arms, etc etc