PDA

View Full Version : 1958 40ft wheeler cruiser

paint79
02-02-2014, 10:51 AM
hey woody boaters! looking to purchase this wheeler [cwd6c-4295056222@sale.craigslist.org] , wondering what you pro's think of this vessel for ocean cruising in maine, look's to be all original which i like, has twin hemi's which are original as well. love to hear any pro's & con's.

thanks and cheer's

jeff

shade of knucklehead
02-02-2014, 10:59 AM
hey woody boaters! looking to purchase this wheeler [cwd6c-4295056222@sale.craigslist.org] , wondering what you pro's think of this vessel for ocean cruising in maine, look's to be all original which i like, has twin hemi's which are original as well. love to hear any pro's & con's.

thanks and cheer's

jeff

Your link is broke...

paint79
02-02-2014, 11:14 AM
what did i do wrong?

shade of knucklehead
02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Go to the craigslist page, copy the entire url and then paste it here.

3sheets
02-02-2014, 12:36 PM
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/4295056222.html

paint79
02-02-2014, 02:23 PM
yeah workin on it but 3sheets beat me to it!, thanks. what do you guys think of this 40ft wheeler?

spring is on the way!

shade of knucklehead
02-02-2014, 07:52 PM
1. The pictures on the ad are terrible, not enough detail or clarity to tell much of anything about the boat's condition
2. Have the boat surveyed by a professional if you are thinking about buying it, and make sure its one not connected with the owner or yard.
3. A full cosmetic restoration on the exterior is a large job.

Other than that, I like old wheelers, they have a really nice shape to them

Thad Van Gilder
02-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I knew a sister ship of this one. it was reportably charles lindberg's boat. in a boat yard years ago near Ocean City, NJ.

nice layout. solid lines. well thought out boat.

Dan Payne
02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I like it.
Ad states "needs a week of woodworking" so figure two months to be safe.
Infuriates the hell out of me when sellers make idiotic statements like that or "easy restoration". yeah? If it's so esay, why didn't you do it?
As Shades states, can you take new pictures and repost?

Dan Payne
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM
P.S.
As you know, those 225 Hemis drink fuel like no tomorrow but if you maintain trawler speeds it won't kill your wallet. Also, if they are in good shape don't sweat the fact that they are gas and not diesel. If they were newer diesels he'd be asking $50,000.00.

In a "normal" economy his asking price is realistic.
In 2014...boats have little value, old wood boats even less.
Are you a cash buyer?
I'd urge you to use that to your advantage.

Stiletto
02-05-2014, 04:39 PM
She looks interesting. When looking at purchasing relatively big ticket items I always ask myself: "What else is available for that sort of money". It keeps things in perspective.

Good Luck!

Lew Barrett
02-05-2014, 05:33 PM
You're getting good advice. Here's some more:

New buyers tend to think of these fine old boats as very rare and singular opportunities. In one sense that is true; if that's the precise model of 40 foot Wheeler you simply must own there probably aren't all that many comparable vessels for sale at any one time. In another and far more important sense, it's not true. Larger wooden boats of all descriptions are available for dimes on the dollar these days, and have been for the last seven or eight years, if not longer. The purchase price of a wooden boat needing a bit of work is only the beginning, and not even the most important part of the beginning.

There's nowhere near enough information in that ad to begin to make a judgment, but if the quality of the boat is like the quality of the photos and ad, I'd leave it be for now.

Wheelers are excellent vessels.

About the Hemis there is a lot to say, but that can be reserved for the time when we have more info. You might start by asking how many hours are on them, when they last received service and what kind of service it was. Old gas motors are not usually considered a plus, even Hemis.

Steamboat
02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
You're getting good advice. Here's some more:

New buyers tend to think of these fine old boats as very rare and singular opportunities. In one sense that is true; if that's the precise model of 40 foot Wheeler you simply must own there probably aren't all that many comparable vessels for sale at any one time. In another and far more important sense, it's not true. Larger wooden boats of all descriptions are available for dimes on the dollar these days, and have been for the last seven or eight years, if not longer. The purchase price of a wooden boat needing a bit of work is only the beginning, and not even the most important part of the beginning.

There's nowhere near enough information in that ad to begin to make a judgment, but if the quality of the boat is like the quality of the photos and ad, I'd leave it be for now.

Wheelers are excellent vessels.

About the Hemis there is a lot to say, but that can be reserved for the time when we have more info. You might start by asking how many hours are on them, when they last received service and what kind of service it was. Old gas motors are not usually considered a plus, even Hemis.

Ask if his yard fees are up to date & do a little web surfing on the price. You may find that the price of the average 58 wooden cruiser is very different from his asking price. He may move on a lower price due to accumulating yard costs. That being said: be fair!