PDA

View Full Version : Source for mahogany parts

Melvin Heckman
12-19-2000, 12:22 PM
I am in the middle of construction of a bench and seats for my boat. They are being made of solid mahogany and I want to review sources for pre-made trim parts that might easily work into my free design. I do not carve so I need to try an work existing materials into the end product.

There are many places with teak but none that I have found dealing with mahogany.

thanks for any thoughts in advance

Mel

Melvin Heckman
I am in the middle of construction of a bench and seats for my boat. They are being made of solid mahogany and I want to review sources for pre-made trim parts that might easily work into my free design. I do not carve so I need to try an work existing materials into the end product.

There are many places with teak but none that I have found dealing with mahogany.

Mel

Melvin Heckman

Mel

paladin
12-20-2000, 02:01 PM
Most of the places that work with teak will make the parts you require of Mahogany on request. I did this on my boat as all the interior is Ash and Mahogany trim. Just contact all the places that make such parts and ask for product so and so in Mahogany. The may charge you the same price as for teak although mahogany is cheaper but it sure beats doing it yourself.

paladin
Most of the places that work with teak will make the parts you require of Mahogany on request. I did this on my boat as all the interior is Ash and Mahogany trim. Just contact all the places that make such parts and ask for product so and so in Mahogany. The may charge you the same price as for teak although mahogany is cheaper but it sure beats doing it yourself.

paladin

paladin
12-31-2000, 02:37 PM
Afew days after writing the response to your question I was driving down one of our local roads. There were three old desks for sale at 10 bucks each. I got them for 25 total, got my 4wd and trailer and made off with them lickety split. They were abused....but solid mahogany from a government contract. Just mentioning this, when contracts are let, the govt sometimes pays for office furnishings depending on contract, and then when the contract is over all assets are disposed of for a nickel on the dollar. If there is any gov't contractor in your area, check it out. There were originally over 75 such desks on this project and I lucked out as the drawer fronts etc in my boat are mahogany.
Chuck

paladin
Afew days after writing the response to your question I was driving down one of our local roads. There were three old desks for sale at 10 bucks each. I got them for 25 total, got my 4wd and trailer and made off with them lickety split. They were abused....but solid mahogany from a government contract. Just mentioning this, when contracts are let, the govt sometimes pays for office furnishings depending on contract, and then when the contract is over all assets are disposed of for a nickel on the dollar. If there is any gov't contractor in your area, check it out. There were originally over 75 such desks on this project and I lucked out as the drawer fronts etc in my boat are mahogany.
Chuck

paladin
Chuck

Ross Faneuf
12-31-2000, 04:48 PM
The government mind is something I'll never understand. One of my highland piping teachers was in the Marines many years ago, and ran a pipe band (don't laugh; the Air Force still has one - check their web site). The marines disbanded the band, and they made a bonfire of all the equipment - kilts, pipes, drums, the whole kit. Why???

Ross Faneuf
The government mind is something I'll never understand. One of my highland piping teachers was in the Marines many years ago, and ran a pipe band (don't laugh; the Air Force still has one - check their web site). The marines disbanded the band, and they made a bonfire of all the equipment - kilts, pipes, drums, the whole kit. Why???

Ross Faneuf