PDA

View Full Version : Lobster and a gin martini

ron ll
01-29-2014, 08:35 PM
It's a good combo, especially if you order the martini with a twist instead of olives.

C. Ross
01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Gin martini?

Willin'
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Is it suddenly summer in Seattle- (hey, sounds like a song title!)?

We generally don't start eating lobster until the prices come down around July, then it's open season until November.

It's always martini season though. Or just chilled Hendricks with cuke slices. Hmmm, speaking of which.

ron ll
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
A real martini is with gin. All others are wannabes.

Paul Pless
01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
A real martini is with gin. All others are wannabes.beefeaters for me, dry. . .

C. Ross
01-29-2014, 08:43 PM
A real martini is with gin. All others are wannabes.

Whew. Based on your previous posts I should have had no doubts about your taste.

I have found that a sazerac goes remarkably well with oysters, especially the sweeter kinds.

ron ll
01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
The lobster in Seattle is another story however. This was a pretty small tail, and I have no idea when or where it came from. I wish it were fresh Maine lobster, but it wasn't.

ron ll
01-29-2014, 08:49 PM
beefeaters for me, dry. . .

if I were home it would be Sapphire. But this is happy hour in the local drinkery, so the bar gin is okay.

bogdog
01-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Citadelle gin is tasty but it gives me a headache, I've heard California has some good ones that don't seem to make it out of the state or at least not to Virginia. A real martini is with vodka of course and Polish at that.

pkrone
01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Whew. Based on your previous posts I should have had no doubts about your taste.

I have found that a sazerac goes remarkably well with oysters, especially the sweeter kinds.

I love a good sazerac.

ron ll
01-29-2014, 10:34 PM

hah! You have a delightfully warped opinion of me Mr. Ross. :D

Ian McColgin
01-29-2014, 10:45 PM
I like the advice that making a proper martini involves pouring good gin through ice into the glass, taking an olive out of the jar and throwing it away, and waving the glass in the general direction of Italy.

Chip-skiff
01-29-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd not mind a proper martini before lobster, but I've never liked spirits with a meal. So I'd go with dry, pungent white or a beer. Or champagne, a cunning blanc de noirs.

ron ll
01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
I'd not mind a proper martini before lobster, but I've never liked spirits with a meal. So I'd go with dry, pungent white or a beer. Or champagne, a cunning blanc de noirs.

I generally agree. However I have discovered that beer and wine ( yes even white wine) can trigger a headache whereas spirits do not. So I've found that martinis work well with some seafood for me. I still have a beer or wine with a meal occasionally but also look for alternatives.

Chip-skiff
01-29-2014, 11:33 PM
I generally agree. However I have discovered that beer and wine ( yes even white wine) can trigger a headache whereas spirits do not. So I've found that martinis work well with some seafood for me. I still have a beer or wine with a meal occasionally but also look for alternatives.

One of my friends who loved wine and suffered headaches and congestion thought it was the sulfites. So far I'm not troubled, thank heavens.

Old Dryfoot
01-30-2014, 12:04 AM
I like the advice that making a proper martini involves pouring good gin through ice into the glass, taking an olive out of the jar and throwing it away, and waving the glass in the general direction of Italy.

This. Though I'll take your olives if your not going to have them.

Lew Barrett
01-30-2014, 12:13 PM
The lobster in Seattle is another story however. This was a pretty small tail, and I have no idea when or where it came from. I wish it were fresh Maine lobster, but it wasn't.

I wondered about that. Keep your eyes peeled for the QFC specials on Father's Day. They used to sell 1.25 pound live lobsters very reasonably on the occasion of that august memorial as compensation for our tireless efforts. Here's hoping they do it again this year.

ron ll
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
I wondered about that. Keep your eyes peeled for the QFC specials on Father's Day. They used to sell 1.25 pound live lobsters very reasonably on the occasion of that august memorial as compensation for our tireless efforts. Here's hoping they do it again this year.

Someone said these special meal deals at restaurants (Anthony's) are flown in from Australia. It was okay, but I'm not a lobster expert. Now a Dungeness crab I can pretty much tell you it's birthday and local neighborhood on the first bite, but not sure I can tell lobster from crawdad.

Paul Pless
01-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Australian lobster? Langostino?

Lew Barrett
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Someone said these special meal deals at restaurants (Anthony's) are flown in from Australia. It was okay, but I'm not a lobster expert. Now a Dungeness crab I can pretty much tell you it's birthday and local neighborhood on the first bite, but not sure I can tell lobster from crawdad.

As a former east coast person, "flown in from Australia" is not on my A list, though they are certainly delicious in their own right. I'm talking about the real deal. Steam them at home yourself, and you get a pair of 1 1/4 pound lobsters for about $15.00. That's a good deal, but it's not offered often. I'll keep you appraised if it comes up again this year.

John of Phoenix
01-30-2014, 12:59 PM
A real martini is with gin. All others are wannabes.Sapphire gin with three olives. That way it's a salad. I call it "Bombay the right way."

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/three-olive-martini-iii-torrie-smiley.jpg

CATALINA GUY
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
First thing...I never drink anything stronger than Gin before breakfast. When I was about 8 years old and my father managed the Isthmus resort on Catalina Island we had several traps used to have fresh lobster quite a lot during the winter months when most of the yachtsmen were not around. Back in the town of Avalon, there were several lobster guys that we would buy from. Great times then

Paul Pless
01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Steam them at home yourself, and you get a pair of 1 1/4 pound lobsters for about $15.00. i'd be eating thirty bucks worth of lobster tonight :D

ron ll
01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Sapphire gin with three olives. That way it's a salad. I call it "Bombay the right way."

I agree, at home it is definitely Sapphire with 3 Manzanilla olives. However when I'm at a bar, I order them with a twist. One, the lemony flavor is better with seafood than the olives, and two, bars usually use Queen olives I guess because they are bigger and make the drink seem bigger. But Queens taste terrible compared to Manzanillas.

pkrone
01-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Made a nice gin drink last night called the Corpse Reviver #2. Bombay Sapphire, Lillet Blanc, Cointreau, lemon juice, absinthe. Awesome.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
MMMMMMM.....Lobsta.

Willin'
01-31-2014, 08:45 AM
I couldn't decide whether to eat them or wear them.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/Hotrudderedbum/DSCF1704.jpg (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/Hotrudderedbum/media/DSCF1704.jpg.html)

These were a gift from Hurricane Sandy. They made 3 meals for 2 people. I don't usually get bugs this big.