Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coelacanth2
    • Apr 2006

Swore I wouldn't get stuck this way ...

The boy and I put up over a cord back in the spring, mostly standing standing dead stuff, sassafras, black cherry and dogwood. Cut and split this fall another half cord of stuff we dropped in the spring. Just used the last of it Friday so ... I was out yesterday bucking and splitting some locust deadfall and splitting some of the sassafras that's been lying around since spring.
    Swore I wouldn't get caught this way. We usually don't use much more than a cord per winter
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Swore I wouldn't get stuck this way ...

Dogwood and cherry ain't worth a damn as firewood.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• ahp
      • Jan 2001

Paul, what is wrong with dogwood and cherry? I have burned about anything that came my way, beach, various oaks, elm, birch, ash, and even weeping willow. I have avoided pine of any kind because of the pitch.

The weeping willow was too close to the leach field, so I took it down. Splitting weeping willow makes you look like a champ. It is a weak wood and mostly water, but after it drys out it burns fine without popping. It is very light and the heat value per cord is poor, but it was cheap.

Comment

• Paul Pless
        pinko commie tree hugger
        • Oct 2003

They have about a third less btu per volume than oak, ash, hickory or locust. They are sootier and they don't bank down as well either.

Comment

• coelacanth2
          • Apr 2006

Burned a flippin' ton of tulip poplar a couple of years ago. Miserable to split. Took forever to dry. Burned like newspaper.

Paul, I burn anything I can get that claims to be hardwood. Got it for free tho, and did my Inlaws the service of breaking the curst thing up.
          Last edited by coelacanth2; 01-26-2014, 07:35 PM.
          Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

Comment

• Rich Jones
            What boat to build next?
            • Apr 2009

I'm burning a lot of black cherry because that's what was standing in the way of making a nice meadow behind the house. It heats the house, but does not produce a really hot fire. It's been split and stacked for two years, don't know if further drying would make a difference.
            With the extreme cold of this winter, I'm going through a lot more firewood than the first two years I've lived here. Usually four cords per winter. Already have burned close to four and there's a lot of winter left!
            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Paul Pless
              pinko commie tree hugger
              • Oct 2003

I have a lot of cherry too. Most of it that I cut and split I set aside to make charcoal with though. I find that a pure cherry fire is hard to bank and make burn through the night unattended. Whereas I can build a decent black locust fire and close the intake damper and its good to go for eight to ten hours. . .

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                • May 2002

oh lord... a firewood elitist
                The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                  pinko commie tree hugger
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                  bugger off phillip

i'd never lived in a house that even had a fireplace until four years ago
                  but now 90% of heat comes from firewood (we only use the gas furnace to maintain the house temp if we are gone for an extended time) that we cut and split off our own property
                  i've installed three wood burning stoves, including flue liners and/or stainless stacks
                  and in the process i've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't

the original poster mentions running out of firewood when he had stocked up on cherry and dogwood but he also has locust available, that's what my comment was directed at. . .

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                    • May 2002

here ya go Paul

A tribute to Robin Williamson and The Incredible, on a song I love so well. Most pictures about trees(not the forests) were taken in the Jardín Botánico at C...
                    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• leikec
                      • Dec 2009

This message is hidden because Phillip Allen is on your ignore list.

View Post

Life is better now...

Jeff C
                      Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by leikec
                        This message is hidden because Phillip Allen is on your ignore list.

View Post

Life is better now...

Jeff C

sore loser

Comment

• Shang
                          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                          Naugh, we're firewood Nazis!

Back in The Land of the White Death (Upstate NY) I cut, hauled, split and burned ten full cords every winter. Black locust burns like anthracite coal, ash can burn holes in the body of your stove, cherry is okay if it has been up off the ground for a season.

Each early winter I would designate an "ace in the hole" tree. That was a tree that I might rather not cut, but was within reach with the tractor and log chain if winter lasted longer than I anticipated.
                          My last "ace in the hole" red oak is downstairs, slabbed into 2 x 10 planks, aging like battleship iron for the past thirty years.

Hey, anybody interested in a wood-or-coal fired hot water heater? I have two of these, brand new from a turn of the century general store? PM me.

Comment

• Full Tilt
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2011

A person could have all the firewood they could want in Toronto this winter.

Everywhere you go are downed trees from the ice storm piled next to the road.

The city has been piling it up in parks all over town.

Comment

• Rich Jones
                              What boat to build next?
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                              I have a lot of cherry too. Most of it that I cut and split I set aside to make charcoal with though. I find that a pure cherry fire is hard to bank and make burn through the night unattended. Whereas I can build a decent black locust fire and close the intake damper and its good to go for eight to ten hours. . .
                              I've gotta get up twice a night to pee anyway, so I go out in the living room and throws a few more pieces of cherry in the stove. Next year, I'll be working my way into my mixed cherry and maple pile.
                              I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                              Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

Working...