Just when I thought my bro had finally got his s**t together....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • epoxyboy
    • Sep 2005

Just when I thought my bro had finally got his s**t together....

My younger brother is the black sheep of the family, all but disowned by our mother, and not really flavour of the month with me or my sister. After moving to Australia several years ago to leave the family behind and chase the mining jobs boom, he burnt through the proceeds of a house sale and moved from one crappy job to another. Recently, he landed a decent sounding job, and I thought things were on the up and up for him.
    Just after midnight today, we got a phone call from one of his ex'es. He had stood up, and then collapsed suddenly, fracturing his skull badly in the fall, and suffering severe convulsions. After an air ambulance ride to Brisbane, the neurosurgery team there removed a portion skull and a life threatening haematoma to relieve pressure on his brain. They will be lowering the level of sedation tonight, to assess how responsive he is, and plan the next treatment.
    I fly over from NZ Tuesday am, and have four days to get a handle on Australian property law (he hasnt got much, but is paying rent in a town ten hours drive from Brisbane) and understand what the ongoing care and welfare situation is, as the expectation is that he will be off work and in some sort of care for many weeks - and that is the best case scenario.
    As my sister said, f@@k, f@@k, f@@k, f@@k. At least I had the ****ty job of letting our parents know done and dusted by nine this morning, not sure if the next few days are going to be any easier though. Considering I dont have that much time for the guy, I'm pretty cut up about it. Bloody families.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.
  • Full Tilt
    Banned
    • Dec 2011

Re: Just when I thought my bro had finally got his s**t together....

Wow.

Sad.

Comment

• Waddie
      • Aug 2009

I know he's been a pain but this time he doesn't seem to be the direct cause of his own misfortune. So I would cut him some slack and do whatever I could, especially since you actually live sort of close by in New Zealand. Later in life you'll be glad you did. FWIW; my wife, who is very religious, says that caring for people whom you feel difficulty relating to helps make your place in heaven............ maybe that's why we've stayed married for over 40 years

regards,
      Waddie
      I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Comment

• seanz
        Resilient?
        • Nov 2006

Carp. Know anybody in Brisbane?
        We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• LeeG
          • May 2002

Oh crap. Yeah, family.

Comment

• Glen Longino
            • Jun 2008

Whew! Best wishes!
            How you handle this sorry situation will likely influence the rest of your life, so be careful what you say and do.
            My best wishes for your brother and all your family!

Comment

• Full Tilt
              Banned
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Waddie
              I know he's been a pain but this time he doesn't seem to be the direct cause of his own misfortune. So I would cut him some slack and do whatever I could, especially since you actually live sort of close by in New Zealand. Later in life you'll be glad you did. FWIW; my wife, who is very religious, says that caring for people whom you feel difficulty relating to helps make your place in heaven............ maybe that's why we've stayed married for over 40 years

regards,
              Waddie
              I think I'd keep her if I was you.

Comment

• epoxyboy
                • Sep 2005

Just had an update from one of his friends who has flown down to Brisbane - apparently he is "responsive", and not happy (typical!) about being intubated. Very early days, but encouraging.

My sister is flying up from South Australia tonight, so there will be a bit of a support crew by the time we all get together on tuesday.
                Although he has been the source of much angst over the years, I couldnt live with myself if I didnt go over there and do whatever I am able to. I will certainly be using my two ears and one mouth in those proportions, and being on my diplomatic best behaviour. Who knows, this might be the catalyst to get everybody talking again. Time will tell.

Pete

Comment

• epoxyboy
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Waddie

regards,
                  Waddie
                  Yeah, i know. I reckon my place in heaven should probably come pre-installed with a thousand virgins for this one though. Oops, wrong faith. Hope that doesn't come across as offensive, my sense of humour is a little bent at the moment.

Pete

Comment

• seanz
                    Resilient?
                    • Nov 2006

Start your own religion, when your times up you can have whatever you want.
                    We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• epoxyboy
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by The Bigfella
                      Best wishes Pete.

That sounds pretty remote.... or is it on the coast?
                      Thanks Ian. One of the coal mining towns about 1000km NW of Brisbane.

Comment

• Glen Longino
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by epoxyboy
                        Yeah, i know. I reckon my place in heaven should probably come pre-installed with a thousand virgins for this one though. Oops, wrong faith. Hope that doesn't come across as offensive, my sense of humour is a little bent at the moment.

Pete
                        Any humor you can come up with at this time is probably good humor.
                        Go for it!

Comment

• Full Tilt
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2011

Just had an update from one of his friends who has flown down to Brisbane -

There once was a time when I didn't get along with my sisters.

They are identical twins, a year and a half younger.

One wood lie and the other'd swear to it.

Now I love em to bits.

Your brother must have some redeeming virtue if he has friends that'd fly to his aid.

Mike

Comment

• epoxyboy
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by seanz
                            Start your own religion, when your times up you can have whatever you want.
                            Like the T@m@ki brothers? I think I'll settle for hoping for the best, and expecting oblivion. I guess there will be some waiting-room time to contemplate the big questions though! Actually, if he is conscious enough to recognise me and talk, I would just about put money on it that the first thing out of his mouth will be "what the f@@k are you doing here"?

Comment

• Full Tilt
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2011

I would just about put money on it that the first thing out of his mouth will be "what the f@@k are you doing here"?
                              Which is Antipodean for "Brother Dearest, so nice of you to come"

Comment

Working...