PDA

View Full Version : Happy Australia Day!

Phil Y
01-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Last night we had the obligatory Australia Day BBQ. Shish Taouk, from a thread on this forum. Enough garlic to sink a small Indonesian fishing vessel. Home made pita bread. It cooks well on a BBQ. Try it. My sons Greek Macedonian girlfriend joined us. And a lovely couple of Italian backpackers who are staying with us for a while. My gorgeous Vietnamese sister in law couldn't join us although today we have big meet the family thing for a Vietnamese niece who is getting married soon. My Chinesembrother in law wasn't there as he is working in Saudi Arabia.

its an understatement to say I'm embarrassed about how Australia deals with Asylum seekers. Turn back the boats? They've been coming for over 200 years now to our immeasurable enrichment.

PeterSibley
01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Indeed and we are all the richer for it.... except the original mob who did rather poorly. It's a case of Paulines triumphant under this mob.

Have a good day Phil.

seanz
01-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Have a happy Australia Day.

Not sure why national days have become the focus of so much angst........they're holidays.........not as if you could do anything about anything if you wanted to......all the great and the good are at BBQs too.

Stiletto
01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
All the best to all the Aussies.

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Indeed and we are all the richer for it.... except the original mob who did rather poorly. It's a case of Paulines triumphant under this mob.

Have a good day Phil.

Such angst, on a day of celebration. Why?

The "original mob" as you call them were immigrants too. They came in from the north west and spread out all over the land - some say 70,000 or more years ago, reaching Tasmania about 40,000 years ago. Then another mob, and so on.

This from wiki:

In 2012, the results of large-scale genotyping has indicated that Aboriginal Australians, the indigenous peoples of New Guinea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papuan_people) and the Mamanwa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumad_peoples#Mamanwa), an indigenous people of the southern Philippines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines) are closely related, having diverged from a common origin approximately 36,000 years ago. The same studies show a substantial gene flow between Indian populations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_people) and Northern Australia occurred around 4,230 years ago. Changes in tool technology, food processing and the Dingo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo) appear in the archaeological record around this time, suggesting there may have been migration from India (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India).

So, just who is this "original mob"? And is "doing poorly" your understanding of their position relative to the several billions of people on this planet who do a lot more poorly? Is it any wonder we have wars, with attitudes like yours around? They start when the focus in on "mobs", rather than the welfare of the whole.

Anyhow, that aside, some now take the opportunity to try and turn a day of celebration into a political tool. Here's another example:

its an understatement to say I'm embarrassed about how Australia deals with Asylum seekers. Turn back the boats? They've been coming for over 200 years now to our immeasurable enrichment.

They've been coming for tens of thousands of years. The embarrassment in this nation began in 2008.... when, some political tools prioritised and politicised our refugee resettlement program (one of the most generous in the world) on the basis of who could best afford a ticket rather than need. That's being corrected, fortunately for the genuine refugees.

That 2008-2013 situation led to, for example, Sri Lankan Tamils who had the opportunity for simple, safe refugee status a mere two hours travel away, in India instead travelling for two months, at costs of up to $20,000 to a preferred economic destination... and in the process denying genuine refugees a chance of resettlement. Luckily for the genuine refugees, that has been stopped.

I've got the refugee applications for two genuine refugees sitting on my desk right now. Maybe in the spirit of generosity that this country is known for, a few of you whingers might like to contribute to their sponsorship costs.

PeterSibley
01-25-2014, 06:48 PM
fart

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Its nice to see that our politicians aren't so puerile.

This from the Prime Minister's FB page

Today we celebrate the country we love and the values that underpin it. We also celebrate those in our community who represent the very best of our country.

Four outstanding Australians were honoured today as part of the Australian of the Year Awards for 2014.

I am pleased to have presented AFL footballer Mr Adam Goodes with his award for Australian of the Year 2014.

Mr Goodes is a role model for many Australians and demonstrates a commitment to fairness and equality both on and off the field. He is a passionate advocate for Indigenous issues and has shown leadership in the fight against racism.

Today we also honour the work of Fred Chaney AO as the 2014 Senior Australian of the Year. A former Federal Minister, Mr Chaney has a long history of public service and a commitment to reconciliation and improving opportunities for Indigenous Australians.

Australia’s 2012 Paralympian of the Year Jacqueline Freney continues to add to her extraordinary record of achievement and today was named the Young Australian of the Year 2014.

Since 1998 Mr Tim Conolan has assisted more than four million children and their families through his charity TLC for Kids. This has earned him the well-deserved honour of Australia’s Local Hero 2014.

Australians should look to the recipients of this year’s Australian of the Year awards as examples of our nation at its best.

I am confident all of the winners will use the next year to bring attention and focus to their individual passions.

Chip-skiff
01-25-2014, 06:58 PM
With all the gas passing, not to mention the drought, it's no place for a fireworks display.

Neverthebloodyless, felicitations to all of you excellent creatures inhabiting earth's backside, may it give you great joy.

Decent folk (don't know the first thing about horses).

Paul Pless
01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Decent folk (don't know the first thing about horses).but they sure got sheep down

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
With all the gas passing, not to mention the drought, it's no place for a fireworks display.

Neverthebloodyless, felicitations to all of you excellent creatures inhabiting earth's backside, may it give you great joy.

Decent folk (don't know the first thing about horses).

The last time we let you folks near one of our horses, you poisoned it because it was too good (Phar Lap)

Chip-skiff
01-25-2014, 07:13 PM
but they sure got sheep down

Sheep are cheap (also the jokes).

Actually, that was the line that started a bar fight in Pinedale, Wyoming, when I took a bunch of Aussies for a night in town:

Bloody Yanks! You don't know the first thing about horses!

First, multiple hairy eyeballs.

Then— ka-boom!

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Who won the war?

Breakaway
01-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Happy A-day, Aussies!

Kevin

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Kevin

There's many Australia Day parties under way.

My Hungarian refugee neighbour, and her WW2-survivor, refugee father are busy explaining to some Aussie-born folks the differences between political and economic refugees. Some folks just don't get it.

htom
01-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Happy Australia Day, Aussies!

skipper68
01-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I think I was kidnaped by Gypsies, and sent to the USA by a benevolent ancestor.. I LOVE the Land of OZ!
Raising a cup yo ya's, and those Banned but here in spirit. Cheers. :)

The Bigfella
01-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Well, the wife just surprised me with a bottle (well, OK, the lion's share of the bottle) of Mumm and a cheese plate.

"Happy Oz Day"

doorstop
01-26-2014, 04:42 AM
Australia Day here was fun. It is also my middle grandmonsters' birthday. 12 today!
Australia Day brekky in the park, our Lions club started at 6a.m. carting tables and chairs, setting up barbys etc etc. We served over 600 brekkies then had the usual Aussie day awards to the local achievers. Packed up after brekky and then checked the cray pots. Only 1 keeper and a whopping big bloody ocky that had killed 6 other keepers....
Home, washed the boat, loaded the kayak, another barby, a stack of sangers and drove down on to the beach. Set up a tarp, sorted the mob and went for a nice paddle with friends.
Home about 4. Nana nap!
Just finished another barby, lotsa lamb, mint sauce, great potato bake and damper. Bloody great tucker!
To top it off we had a leaning tower of lamingtons birthday cake (52 of 'em!) all glued together with cream... going to take a while to wear off todays' tucker.

All in all a beaut day.

Phil Y
01-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Its been a lovely day here. Great place to live.

skuthorp
01-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Sailing, 3 day wooden dinghy regatta. One day to go. 43 boats from a 1908 clinker open gaffer to a new wooden Moth of the 1960's type. A Port Phillip 12, several jolly boats well sailed, an old Sydney Harbour 18 that looked like it was about to disintegrate, but accelerated like a sports car and blitzed the fleet. I took my waterproof camera, it isn't. Today I hardly got off the water but there were plenty of cameras, a video crew, local and Melbourne press so i don't worry.
Sun and wind burned, my cousin of 60 suddenly became 16 again in the boat I restored. Very sore tummy muscles he says.
I have a saying, and it is my own. "Everyone is 12 again on the beach" and today confirmed it.

As for Australia day, overrated nationalism ramped up for mostly advertising purposes.

Hwyl
01-26-2014, 07:38 AM
I hope you guys had a good time.

WX
01-26-2014, 03:12 PM
A quiet time with family. Enjoying having a grandkid around, even if her favourite word is no.:)