PDA

View Full Version : Clean SS Rigging?

Ian Wright
11-07-2000, 07:48 PM
I wash Patiencs running rigging in Sheilas machine every year and it works well, but, this year I'm going to re do the servings on her SS standing rigging and I'd like to give it all a good clean while I'm about it. So,,,,,,,,, what to use? I don't feel that Sheila would like me to try washing wire in a front loader,,,,,,,, any ideas?
Brion Toss suggests brake cleaner,,,,,, wassat?

IanW.

Ian Wright
I wash Patiencs running rigging in Sheilas machine every year and it works well, but, this year I'm going to re do the servings on her SS standing rigging and I'd like to give it all a good clean while I'm about it. So,,,,,,,,, what to use? I don't feel that Sheila would like me to try washing wire in a front loader,,,,,,,, any ideas?

IanW.

Ian Wright

IanW.

Gary Bergman
11-08-2000, 07:43 AM
I use brake cleaner for lots o' stuff. Doesn't always evaporate, leaving a residue, be sure to wear safety glasses cuz the stuff is wicked to the eyes

Gary Bergman
I use brake cleaner for lots o' stuff. Doesn't always evaporate, leaving a residue, be sure to wear safety glasses cuz the stuff is wicked to the eyes

Gary Bergman

John R Smith
11-08-2000, 09:02 AM
Ian

two possible approaches, both used by yours truly on S/S components on classic motorcycles and cars -

For shiny S/S, Solvol Autosol. A cream cleaner, slightly abrasive, leaves a protective film.

For better protection, no shine, try Finnigans Waxoyl. Neutralises surface rust staining, leaves a waxy film which repels water.

John

John R Smith
Ian

two possible approaches, both used by yours truly on S/S components on classic motorcycles and cars -

For shiny S/S, Solvol Autosol. A cream cleaner, slightly abrasive, leaves a protective film.

For better protection, no shine, try Finnigans Waxoyl. Neutralises surface rust staining, leaves a waxy film which repels water.

John

John R Smith
Ian

John

bill hersey
11-08-2000, 11:02 AM
Ian,

On a tip from a top rigger here in So. Calif., I started using the multi-purpose Penetrol on all stainless. It works. There is no real residue if you wipe it well, but it fills the pores and, for some reason, doesn't collect dirt or dust. Might give it a try on stanchions or what have you to see if you like it. I just put new SS standing rigging on my Calkins 50 AMANTE, and once again was given the Penetrol advise.

bill hersey
Ian,

On a tip from a top rigger here in So. Calif., I started using the multi-purpose Penetrol on all stainless. It works. There is no real residue if you wipe it well, but it fills the pores and, for some reason, doesn't collect dirt or dust. Might give it a try on stanchions or what have you to see if you like it. I just put new SS standing rigging on my Calkins 50 AMANTE, and once again was given the Penetrol advise.

bill hersey
Ian,

NormMessinger
11-08-2000, 03:35 PM
Okay, Ian, I stopped by the local Auto parts store to see what is in brake cleaner. I'm gonna tell ya but you must promise not to drink the stuff.

One brand said, "contains Tetrachloroethylene." Smells much like Carbon tetrachloride, the stuff once used in fire extinguishers 'til the gov't started interfering in our lives. Chloroform is also pretty close chemically, I was once told.

Another brand said, "contains Methanol, Toluene, xylene, Acetone, Heptane.

Now if the goop on your shrouds is really tenatious try carborator cleaner. One brand contained much of the above cocktail plus Cyclohexanone.

Cheers!

--Norm

NormMessinger
Okay, Ian, I stopped by the local Auto parts store to see what is in brake cleaner. I'm gonna tell ya but you must promise not to drink the stuff.

One brand said, "contains Tetrachloroethylene." Smells much like Carbon tetrachloride, the stuff once used in fire extinguishers 'til the gov't started interfering in our lives. Chloroform is also pretty close chemically, I was once told.

Now if the goop on your shrouds is really tenatious try carborator cleaner. One brand contained much of the above cocktail plus Cyclohexanone.

Cheers!

--Norm

NormMessinger

Cheers!

--Norm

Ian Wright
11-09-2000, 02:42 PM
Good ol' Norm! I can get most of those in one mixture or another so I think the problem is solved, thanks Gentlemen.
Now if I put a gallon or two of that stuff in a tub and soak clean Patiences rigging in my small (8X6) but well heated shed how wide should I open the window to make it safe to smoke?

IanW.

[This message has been edited by Ian Wright (edited 11-09-2000).]

Ian Wright
Good ol' Norm! I can get most of those in one mixture or another so I think the problem is solved, thanks Gentlemen.
Now if I put a gallon or two of that stuff in a tub and soak clean Patiences rigging in my small (8X6) but well heated shed how wide should I open the window to make it safe to smoke?

IanW.

Ian Wright

IanW.

SailBoatDude
11-09-2000, 03:32 PM
If you use carb cleaner you should remove the window and install a big fan, and still smoke outside, it's nasty stuff. Depends on what you want; clean or polished. "ShellaShine" (sp?) is a commercial product for stainless stuff, lots of elbow grease, but works well for a good shine (and residue). Brake fluid works well, but doesn't evaporate quickly and may leave a film. Now, brake cleaner WILL clean and leave no trace. It's not that cheap, but most things that work cost more. I spray it on a rag and wipe down (use gloves) everything you want cleaned. Don't get it on painted surfaces. Be careful with it, as it's nasty stuff too. I've had it in my eyes (took two days for my vision to clear) don't let it in yours.

A cheaper pick may be xyline (sp?), acetone, and MEK (in order of preference). All are available at the hardware store. MEK may leave an easy to remove film as may most acetone, but xyline will remove most anything, not sure about a film though. I think the product Goof Off is xyline and it works well.

SailBoatDude
If you use carb cleaner you should remove the window and install a big fan, and still smoke outside, it's nasty stuff. Depends on what you want; clean or polished. "ShellaShine" (sp?) is a commercial product for stainless stuff, lots of elbow grease, but works well for a good shine (and residue). Brake fluid works well, but doesn't evaporate quickly and may leave a film. Now, brake cleaner WILL clean and leave no trace. It's not that cheap, but most things that work cost more. I spray it on a rag and wipe down (use gloves) everything you want cleaned. Don't get it on painted surfaces. Be careful with it, as it's nasty stuff too. I've had it in my eyes (took two days for my vision to clear) don't let it in yours.

A cheaper pick may be xyline (sp?), acetone, and MEK (in order of preference). All are available at the hardware store. MEK may leave an easy to remove film as may most acetone, but xyline will remove most anything, not sure about a film though. I think the product Goof Off is xyline and it works well.

SailBoatDude

Ian Wright
11-09-2000, 06:40 PM
Just came to me,,,,,,, I had a holiday job spray painting the eyes on dolls in a plastics factory about fourty years ago, we used to wash in acetone, does this account for my lousy spelling?
,,,,,and isn't it true that if you inhale through a lit ciggie all the impurities in the air are removed by said fag? (note for US readers Fag = cigarette)

IanW.

Ian Wright
Just came to me,,,,,,, I had a holiday job spray painting the eyes on dolls in a plastics factory about fourty years ago, we used to wash in acetone, does this account for my lousy spelling?
,,,,,and isn't it true that if you inhale through a lit ciggie all the impurities in the air are removed by said fag? (note for US readers Fag = cigarette)

IanW.

Ian Wright

IanW.

Art Read
11-10-2000, 01:08 AM
Ian... Don't know about filtering out impurities, but the best way I know to kick a cold or a flu on it's ass is a steady dosing of cigarettes and Scotland's finest... kills all the little beasties.

Art Read
Ian... Don't know about filtering out impurities, but the best way I know to kick a cold or a flu on it's ass is a steady dosing of cigarettes and Scotland's finest... kills all the little beasties.

Art Read

Ian Wright
11-10-2000, 12:46 PM
Art, Dead right, except I like to use Rum and hot water, in termnial cases just hot rum, the only good use for a microwave,,,,,,,

IanW.

Ian Wright
Art, Dead right, except I like to use Rum and hot water, in termnial cases just hot rum, the only good use for a microwave,,,,,,,

IanW.

Ian Wright

IanW.

John B
11-12-2000, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that Ian,...... and here's me drinking it cold all these years.what a waste...

John B
Thanks for that Ian,...... and here's me drinking it cold all these years.what a waste...

John B