PDA

View Full Version : Hey whiskEy drinkers.

Jim Bow
01-22-2014, 11:24 PM
My kid got me a bottle of this rye whiskey. (http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/) I don't really like it. I've an untrained palate. I don't know if I don't like rye whiskey in general, or just this distillery.
Name me a quality brand of rye, so I can go buy one of those mini bottles as a test.

Any good mixers that might spruce this up a bit?

Glen Longino
01-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Make some Manhattans with that rye!
I make them for friends while I sip Tequila.
Rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters.
Google a recipe...there are lots of variations.

Jimmy W
01-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I've never tried that one. I don't care for the Jim Bean Rye, but do like the Wild Turkey and Bulleit ryes. Those are the only ones that I have tried so far. They are a different taste. I think that I might prefer the Wild Turkey, but haven't really compared them head to head.

Flying Orca
01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Rye is disgusting. Bourbon is OK to quite good, depending. Irish and single malts are preferred by 100% of the whisky-drinking members of our household (that would be both of us).

Paul Pless
01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Make some Manhattans with that rye!or whiskey sours

Ian McColgin
01-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Rye is the most confused of all the whiskeys since the grain content can be all over the place. So many ryes are too sweet for either my taste or my diabetes so I gave searching for a palatable rye. I have tolorance but no respect for people who drink whiskeys made outside of Scotland with one (made in Oregon and very very rare) exception.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I am extremely fond of Whiskey Sours, Manhattans and Old Fasshioned's.

For me, a chance to visit a good cocktail bar is a great pleasure and is almost a reason in itself to visit the States. There is not the slightest point in asking for a cocktail in an English pub, still less an Irish, Scots or (if you can find it) Welsh one!

Consequently I rather approve of rye whiskey, in its place, which is of course in a cocktail glass .

Flying Orca
01-23-2014, 08:16 AM
I like a whisk(e)y cocktail as much as the next guy; I just think they're even better when made with good whisk(e)y. ;)

Paul Pless
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Rye is the most confused of all the whiskeys since the grain content can be all over the place. So many ryes are too sweet for either my taste or my diabetes so I gave searching for a palatable rye. I have tolorance but no respect for people who drink whiskeys made outside of Scotland with one (made in Oregon and very very rare) exception.

committed bourbon drinker (i won't use the word connoisseur) here. . .
i find most scotch and most scotch drinkers far too effete and pretentious for my taste, note i said most, not all. . .

Paul Pless
01-23-2014, 08:19 AM
for andrew, the alabama song. . .:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_d_VJbYAfc

Ian McColgin
01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Don't confuse a kilt for a dress.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-23-2014, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Pless;4041349]for andrew, the alabama song. . .:)

We'll have that done properly, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6orDcL0zt34