PDA

View Full Version : cnn takes a quick look at my workplace

Tom Wilkinson
01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Just a quick overview but it's a pretty cool place to work. They really dont get into much detail about the real scope of work that we do, but soome may find it interesting non the less.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/international/2014/01/16/spc-business-traveller-atlanta-airport-c.cnn&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Foppositelock.jalopnik. com%2Fcnn-visits-delta-techops-1505821920#/video/international/2014/01/16/spc-business-traveller-atlanta-airport-c.cnn

S/V Laura Ellen
01-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Interesting look inside the 'hang ga'

Concordia...41
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Cool! Makes you realize that in any industry there are thousands of things that go on behind the scenes to make it all work.

seanz
01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Nice shed.
:)

CK 17
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Impressive. Our guys do most of their work outside at DTW.

The Bigfella
01-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice clip. Thanks.

I'm catching up with an associate next week who is on the Board at one of the world's top ten airports. Might be a bit of an assignment coming up.

Tom Wilkinson
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Impressive. Our guys do most of their work outside at DTW.
We do a good bit outside. The department I work only has a few hangar bays available and we typically work 10 to 15 aircraft at a time. The bigger jobs come in, jobs that requirements heat, shoring, overhead crane access, etc... I always have at least one or two crews working outside. A good majority of the departments that, work there work strictly inside but we are mainly a line support operation so we work mostly aircraft that have less than 24 (usually less than 12) hours ground time.

Paul Pless
01-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Impressive. Our guys do most of their work outside at DTW.you're based in detroit?

Paul Pless
01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
richard quest is kind of a dork, no?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
I must admit you have an interesting fast paced job, but it's nothing like workin on the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLud5XYfY_c

MiddleAgesMan
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Great clip and very good PR for a struggling company. (Yeah, that Quest guy is a piece of work. WTH does he think he needs to shout and growl for?)

I'll be off across the Atlantic next week to meet with a consortium that runs most of the airports in Europe. Lots of work expected in short order. ;)

Tom Wilkinson
01-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I must admit you have an interesting fast paced job, but it's nothing like workin on the line.

I can't imagine it is anything like that. I need to find one of the videos we took of a wing repair inside a fuel tank. A time lapse of what all we do in a day probably doesn't look a whole lot different than that ford video though. Typical engine change times for us are 8 to twelve hours, start to finish, including engine runs and moving in and out of the hangar. None of it is automated and most engines are hoisted with chain hoists, no crane. I've done 757 and md-88 engines in as little as five hours. That's typically with a crew of four guys.

Hard to really see what actually happens manual labor wise in that ford video. I'm interested though.

Steve McMahon
01-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Very cool.
Anyone ever tried to sneak enough parts home in their lunchbox to build one for themselves?

Tom Wilkinson
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Great clip and very good PR for a struggling company. (Yeah, that Quest guy is a piece of work. WTH does he think he needs to shout and growl for?)

I'll be off across the Atlantic next week to meet with a consortium that runs most of the airports in Europe. Lots of work expected in short order. ;)

That guy is a bit odd. Struggling company I'd take issue with. Record breaking years since the merger with northwest and have been really hitting our stride recently. Hopefully that is coming through on the customer service side. Supposedly it is. Completion factors over 99% for the year and steadily map roving metrics in nearly every area. It's been a good few years after the nightmare the industry had after 9-11.

Jim Bow
01-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the dangling flux capacitor on the engine in the opening shot?

Jimmy W
01-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Delta does some work on ours at Lufthansa at South Cargo also. I used to work for a couple of companies that were based at Willow Run in Ypsilanti, Paul.

Have you seen this:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/11/travel/atl24/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Paul Pless
01-23-2014, 05:28 AM
That guy is a bit odd. Struggling company I'd take issue with. Record breaking years since the merger with northwest and have been really hitting our stride recently. Hopefully that is coming through on the customer service side. Supposedly it is. Completion factors over 99% for the year and steadily map roving metrics in nearly every area. It's been a good few years after the nightmare the industry had after 9-11.

Since the merger I don't really have much of a choice with which carrier that I fly with. Before the merger I often chose Northwest, because it gave me the option of flying DTW to MEM to MGM. Memphis is so much more an enjoyable and easy airport to navigate than is Atlanta, plus there's a really good barbecue stand in the Memphis airport. Now I'm stuck with Delta and Atlanta as my my connection. I have no real complaints that aren't focused on air travel in general, I think y'all do a good job. I can't remember the last time I was late or missed a flight due to a fault of Delta. . .

BrianW
01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
That was really interesting Tom. Love to see more, but understand the limits of a news-bit show. Emirates plays a nice 30 minute video of their heavy maintenance crew that's available on the inflight entertainment system. Shows them (mostly Indian looking crew) pulling a vertical fin off a triple-7.

I haven't had an 'inside job' in 10 years. I'm ready for a hanger. :)

CK 17
01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
you're based in detroit?

The airline has a maintenance base there. I was based there until last Nov. I'm Chicago based now. . . Is DTW near Hell?

CK 17
01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Since the merger I don't really have much of a choice with which carrier that I fly with. Before the merger I often chose Northwest, because it gave me the option of flying DTW to MEM to MGM. Memphis is so much more an enjoyable and easy airport to navigate than is Atlanta, plus there's a really good barbecue stand in the Memphis airport. Now I'm stuck with Delta and Atlanta as my my connection. I have no real complaints that aren't focused on air travel in general, I think y'all do a good job. I can't remember the last time I was late or missed a flight due to a fault of Delta. . .

Delta is a great airline. However, there is another terminal at DTW. . .

Tom Wilkinson
01-25-2014, 07:19 PM
This is a great time lapse of a winglet mod done at the same hangar. Different department than mine. This was an 18 month contract. We already modified most of our 767's. the entire wingtip gets cut off and modified/ extended, plus 36 ft lens of stringers internal to the wings are replaced.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=3wH7QPIm3XY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3wH7QPIm3XY%26sns%3Dfb

Paul Pless
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
The airline has a maintenance base there. I was based there until last Nov. I'm Chicago based now. . . Is DTW near Hell?30 miles or so