PDA

View Full Version : Feeder for table saw

capefox
01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
I've heard these things are great for ripping strips. Any experience with them?

James McMullen
01-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Power feeds are awesome for production. Mine is mostly kept mounted on the big shaper. Can't really imagine why a tiny home shop would bother though.

How many strip boats are you planning to build, anyways? Having literally tried almost every way to build a boat except dugout and ferrocement, strippers are very, very much not my favorite method. And probably you'd have to build half a dozen before you even came close to paying off a power feeder.

David G
01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Much experience. Yes, they are a production tool. Cheap ones are more trouble than they're worth. Good ones are fairly expensive. One needs to learn how to set them up correctly... or, again, they're more trouble than they're worth. Most require drilling and tapping the table of your saw for mounting bolts. I don't think it's something I'd bother with for one boat. If you're planning on a long career with strippers... then it may be worth the initial setup costs and learning time. Hard to make a recommendation without really knowing you. Are you inherently handy and technically savvy? It's not a tool to screw around with - you could even bugger up your saw.

capefox
01-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Sounds like when I need to get a lot of strips ripped, I should get the local carpentry shop to gang up a couple of thin blades - they have an auto feeder. They charge 50 USD per
hour. 200 strips in an hour? Cutting 200 strips on a table saw at home sounds laborious and setting oneself up for an injury.

GregH
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Capefox- "Cutting 200 strips on a table saw at home sounds laborious..." If you think that will be laborious, just wait till you start planking up with the strips!!!!

James McMullen
01-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Ha ha! GregH pretty much nailed it!

MoMan
01-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I cut my own strips for a 16 footer. The novelty of setting up the saw, the planer and the router table for long, spindly and delicate cedar wore off quickly, not to mention the mountains of sawdust to clean up.

You can buy strips precut from Bear Mountain Boats (http://www.bearmountainboats.com/kits/canoe-kits/#!/~/product/category=2192053&id=8619374)or Noah's Marine (http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp?Cc=Canoe%2DKits).

--Mike

capefox
01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Ha ha! GregH pretty much nailed it!

You mean stapled it and then had to remove all 50,000 staples later? :)
I'm starting to get an idea of the laborious, repetitive nature of the strip-planked method. James and Greg, is the glued lap construction method your favorite?

James McMullen
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
My two favorites are lapstrake and skin-on-frame. Won't work for every hull, of course, but when it's possible, these two give me the most consistent amount of sheer woodworking joy per minute. And the least amount of sanding.

Glued lap is only about 87% as fun as honest-to-god trad. lap, but it's much more practical for your desert climate, capefox. Strip planking is about 12% as fun--until you get to the longboard sanding, at which point it drops into negative territory. Nothing is less fun than longboarding.

waltwood
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I have a power feeder and have much experience setting it up but I never ripped anything narrower than 1 1/2" wide because I always wanted the tires on the wood between the fence and the blade and not on the waste. I wanted to know if people really have used them to rip 1/4" strips. I am going to look at it later because I use it mostly with the shaper.
As far as strip built boats I like building them somewhat. Here is why; if you have an hour to work on the boat you can do it and get something done. With other methods an hour is about the set up time and the next time you work on it you have to figure it all out again and get back in the groove. And with strip built you don't have to stress over messing up a plank that you have been working on for 3 days. It is labor intensive though.

Canoez
01-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Sounds like when I need to get a lot of strips ripped, I should get the local carpentry shop to gang up a couple of thin blades - they have an auto feeder. They charge 50 USD per
hour. 200 strips in an hour? Cutting 200 strips on a table saw at home sounds laborious and setting oneself up for an injury.

It's not a big deal to cut strips. We had set up a gang-sawing assembly that worked nice, but feed stock by hand. Here's a link (http://canoez.blogspot.com/2008/10/like-charm.html) to how we did it. BTW - the 30 minutes referred to is the time it took to rip about 50-60 strips 14' long or so. Wasn't rushing the work, but not dawdling either.

waltwood
01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
My two favorites are lapstrake and skin-on-frame. Won't work for every hull, of course, but when it's possible, these two give me the most consistent amount of sheer woodworking joy per minute. And the least amount of sanding.

Glued lap is only about 87% as fun as honest-to-god trad. lap, but it's much more practical for your desert climate, capefox. Strip planking is about 12% as fun--until you get to the longboard sanding, at which point it drops into negative territory. Nothing is less fun than longboarding.

I don't know, but power sanding the bottom of older boat when you have to get under it is right up there with longboarding.

GregH
01-22-2014, 12:00 PM
You mean stapled it and then had to remove all 50,000 staples later? :)
I'm starting to get an idea of the laborious, repetitive nature of the strip-planked method. James and Greg, is the glued lap construction method your favorite?

I've never done a glued lap boat- only cold-molded and strip - both very labor intensive.

SMARTINSEN
01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
200 16' strips on a table saw can be done in a couple of hours, easy. It goes much more smoothly with a helper.

htom
01-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Scant experience with a table saw feeder; "more trouble than it's worth" is the short opinion. You still need a helper, and two is better as you have more stock to move more quickly. It's really a tool for a production shop, not a hobby shop. Find a helper and you're good without the autofeed in the hobby shop.