PDA

View Full Version : small stuff

Bernadette & David Hedger
04-17-2001, 02:19 AM
We are trying to locate a supplier of small stuff...that is some 3 mm three strand rope that will be used for the lanyard on the ditty bags Bernadette makes. Can anybody suggest a supplier?

We are trying to locate a supplier of small stuff...that is some 3 mm three strand rope that will be used for the lanyard on the ditty bags Bernadette makes. Can anybody suggest a supplier?

paladin
04-17-2001, 06:43 AM
I used parachute shock cord....works fine...

paladin

paladin

Mike Field
04-17-2001, 12:13 PM
Depends a bit on the result you're after, I guess. I always think cotton has the best feel of anything (it's what we use on our boathooks for that reason,) but three-strand cotton can only be spliced with great difficulty, and braided (like sashcord) not at all, as far as I know.

On the other hand, I bought a couple of dozen 6' lengths of tarred three-strand sisal (actually, creosoted, I think) for about $5 at Aussie Disposals a few months back. Splices easily, you can work all the traditional knots in it, and it smells wonderful to boot. This was more like 1/4" dia, though, so might be too big.

If you're not fussy about the material or the colour, check out Clints -- they always seem to have a large supply of very inexpensive imported stuff that would be perfectly adequate structurally, so to speak. It always seems to be brightly-coloured, but I suppose some would consider that a bonus.

Tell me more about the ditty-bags, David, would you please?

Mike Field
Depends a bit on the result you're after, I guess. I always think cotton has the best feel of anything (it's what we use on our boathooks for that reason,) but three-strand cotton can only be spliced with great difficulty, and braided (like sashcord) not at all, as far as I know.

On the other hand, I bought a couple of dozen 6' lengths of tarred three-strand sisal (actually, creosoted, I think) for about $5 at Aussie Disposals a few months back. Splices easily, you can work all the traditional knots in it, and it smells wonderful to boot. This was more like 1/4" dia, though, so might be too big.

If you're not fussy about the material or the colour, check out Clints -- they always seem to have a large supply of very inexpensive imported stuff that would be perfectly adequate structurally, so to speak. It always seems to be brightly-coloured, but I suppose some would consider that a bonus.

Mike Field

04-18-2001, 03:30 AM
Mike, the ditty bags I make are all traditional including the overall design. Everything is hand sewn (seams and eyelets etc.) and then I 'embroider' a motif/important date etc. on the side. The problem has been getting some small stuff to do the 6 strand lanyard handle. I also sew the same bags up on the sewing machine and use pressed eyelets for a quick manufacture. When we lived aboard our last yacht, both David and I had our 'personal' bags which we used for ropework and hand sewn canvas/leather work respectively. They are our best mates when it comes to traditional work on board the boat! Wouldn't leave port without mine!
Bernadette.

Mike, the ditty bags I make are all traditional including the overall design. Everything is hand sewn (seams and eyelets etc.) and then I 'embroider' a motif/important date etc. on the side. The problem has been getting some small stuff to do the 6 strand lanyard handle. I also sew the same bags up on the sewing machine and use pressed eyelets for a quick manufacture. When we lived aboard our last yacht, both David and I had our 'personal' bags which we used for ropework and hand sewn canvas/leather work respectively. They are our best mates when it comes to traditional work on board the boat! Wouldn't leave port without mine!
Bernadette.

Bernadette.

Mike Field
04-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Bernadette. They sound lovely. I don't think Clints' stuff would do, though, would it....?

What about a small-gauge Hempex or Thempest, though? (I can help you with that, but it's pretty expensive as I daresay you know.)

It might also be worthwhile contacting All Ropes & More in Thomastown on 9465 4666, and picking their brains a bit.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind explaining to an ignorant landlubber how one starts out with three-strand and winds up with six-strand? Do you just halve each strand as you work it, or are you talking in terms of sennit, or what?

Cheers, Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Field (edited 04-18-2001).]

Mike Field
Thanks, Bernadette. They sound lovely. I don't think Clints' stuff would do, though, would it....?

What about a small-gauge Hempex or Thempest, though? (I can help you with that, but it's pretty expensive as I daresay you know.)

It might also be worthwhile contacting All Ropes & More in Thomastown on 9465 4666, and picking their brains a bit.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind explaining to an ignorant landlubber how one starts out with three-strand and winds up with six-strand? Do you just halve each strand as you work it, or are you talking in terms of sennit, or what?

Cheers, Mike.

Mike Field

Cheers, Mike.

Jonathan Kabak
04-19-2001, 10:24 AM
You may want to try #72 Black Seine twine. The stuff is 3 strand and splices relatively easily. It is about 1/8 or a little thicker and is nice to work with for fancywork.

It has been a while since I needed to order any but try Memphis Net and Twine since which is where I used to order it from.

Another option is 3 strand Mason's twine available at a good hardware store. It is cotton about 1/8 inch thick.

IF I think of anything else or any other sources for stuff I will let you know.

Fair Winds

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak
You may want to try #72 Black Seine twine. The stuff is 3 strand and splices relatively easily. It is about 1/8 or a little thicker and is nice to work with for fancywork.

It has been a while since I needed to order any but try Memphis Net and Twine since which is where I used to order it from.

Another option is 3 strand Mason's twine available at a good hardware store. It is cotton about 1/8 inch thick.

Fair Winds

Jonathan

Jonathan Kabak

Fair Winds

Jonathan

Nicholas Carey
04-19-2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Bernadette & David Hedger:

Toplicht (http://www.toplicht.de) has, I believe, some tarred Italian marline (hemp or linen...I can't remember which).

Nicholas Carey

Toplicht (http://www.toplicht.de) has, I believe, some tarred Italian marline (hemp or linen...I can't remember which).

Nicholas Carey

04-21-2001, 07:49 PM
Mike, I may not have explained myself clearly: the lanyard is started with 3 pieces of line about 8' long, a 3 strand flat sennit braid is worked in the center and then 'middled' to form an eye and then hence the 6 lines etc. to follow on from there.
Bernadette.

Mike, I may not have explained myself clearly: the lanyard is started with 3 pieces of line about 8' long, a 3 strand flat sennit braid is worked in the center and then 'middled' to form an eye and then hence the 6 lines etc. to follow on from there.
Bernadette.

Bernadette.

Mike Field
04-21-2001, 09:05 PM
Got you. Thanks, Bernadette. Any photos of a finished article you could post?

Mike Field

Mike Field

04-25-2001, 03:42 AM
Mike, I will post a photo sometime soon when I get the camera out again. Bernadette

Mike, I will post a photo sometime soon when I get the camera out again. Bernadette