PDA

View Full Version : don't she purty

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2c6485232c901944960e4b42061e1649/tumblr_mzp7u79iC91r0mzqfo1_1280.jpg

Gerarddm
01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
? Roller furling mizzen staysail? Unique!

Dirtiest main I have seen in a long time.

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
? Roller furling mizzen staysail? Unique!not sure that mizzen is the right terminolgy, but yes unique

Hwyl
01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I don't think the sail in the fisherman position is as designed. It looks like someone bought a used jib and stuck it up there.

That's a huge jib in the Yankee position (or maybe jibtop position) it renders the other jib sort of useless and does not do much for the staysail. Look at the bend in that foretop mast and the subsequent slacking of the headstay, they'd be better off just using that big jib as a downwind sail (or a balloon cut version of it) and relying on the regular jib and staysail. The big sail will be a bugger to tack, in fact I doubt it would tack without a brailing line.

The foresail looks great, someone paid a lot of money for that sail.

The main is crying out for a topsail, it's interesting to see those super deep reefs, I wonder if she has weather helm.

Could be a beauty, just needs a trip to Spencers and Ratseys.

David G
01-21-2014, 03:05 PM
It is, indeed, a lovely boat.

But, Pless, I've had it with you polluting the Bilge with boat-related content. If it's beauty you're after... post some fotos of your darling wife... or the environs of your home... or handsome Rotties... or WickedWeasel shots... or a finished bathroom... or... anything non-boaty. I know the rules of the Bilge are looser than above-deck... but if you keep it up, I will be forced to report you to the authorities. (no, not Scot, I mean Kat of course... though I suppose Scot could come into play as a last resort, after I've worked my way thru Lefty, Startled Varmint, OverTilt, and bobbys).

Figment
01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
It looks like the topsail has been hoisted but not set, maybe?

I think Gareth may be onto something with that fisherman. I'm thinking of how much friction must be in that furling line..... ugh.
It's either a very fussy solution to a very specific problem, or it's just something picked up on ebay and given a go.

TR
01-22-2014, 06:02 PM
It looks like the main topsail is huge, and set on a jack yard.

As a rule the usual four cornered fishermen is pretty much a bag that just heels the boat until you're quite a ways off the wind. Part of that is due to the lousy attachment point (none) for the tack. Martha is one of the few boats I've seen with a nicely setting Fishermen. I think this might be properly called a main stay'sl as it's stayed to the top of the main mast. Just think how effective a big genoa set from the deck to the head of the mainmast could be. Anyway this little jib with it's tack supported by the inner headstay and it's head opposed by the main runners will perhaps provide a tiny bit of real drive on the the wind (or at least closer to the wind than the Fishermen). The problem will be in a decent sheet angle, which may not be there in this case. Ideally it would sheet to a traveller on the main spreaders, but that's pretty elaborate and unlikely for a tiny addition......